Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts on the Hitachi 18V lithium drill?

In my never ending quest for a new drill, I ran across this at Lowes:
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...8DL&lpage=none

Has anyone used this drill or have any information regarding it'? From the little bit of info I have found, it seems to be extremely comparable to the Makita 18V lithium. When I handled the drill in the store, it felt sturdy and comfortable. Ovreall size was a lot like the Makita. The only thing I did not like about the Rigid lithium drill was its bulkiness. I am not referring to the battery, but the actual drill itself.

As a side note, I may simply wait until some more informative reviews on lithium drills (tools) present themselves. I thought the Consumer Reports review was premature and did not incude many of the available brands and voltages.

I've read great things about Hitachis...and some things that cause concerns.

They have rated high in Consumer Reports and from some owners. Other owners have had them break at the drill handle from falls...one as little as 4 feet. This was the previous drill...not the newer LiIon.

I agree that Ridgid is wayyyy heavy. I'm leaning toward the newer compact Makita 18V or the 14.4 set with drill and impact driver.

Comment

Take this for what it is worth, just printed words in cyberspace but I am a Hitachi Fan ever since I purchased the M-12V Router.

Overall, the lithium batteries are very expensive and so far no conclusion as to the longevity (or lack thereof). They are supposed to do very well per charge..but how many recharges can they take? Are they going to work as a ni-cad does?? (3 years and kaput..from experience and recharging by the book)

Secondly..the Hitachi trend seems distrubing to me. A see a general "cheaping" of the tools in favor for "bling" (I can tell them where to put the styling and tattoo culture looks) and Chinese build.

This is not to say that the Chinese cannot build good tools. On the contrary, they can...but the overall "flash" takes away from the overall feelings of ruggedness if you ask me. (Reminds me of "too much make-up on", if you know what I mean)

My M12-V (not VC) Router is bulletproof. You see the CV going for 1/3rd the price as the "new and improved version" as this is what I gathered.

It will be interesting to see. I am in the market for another higher end cordless.

History:

1989, Makitas. Bought 3 of them, lasted 10 years + each. only 7.2V but they got the job done. Replaced batteries 3 times and switches in all. No motor burnout.

1999, I bought 3 Craftsmans. 14V Seemed to be well made. Batteries would not last at all. Good each charge but dismal failures used in a professional environment.

Dewalt 2003

Good but all were nabbed due to bad site security. battery life was slightly below average.

I began buying cheap Harbor freght units (18V) and to my surprise, they hang in there very tough considering the "throw away" prices. Only real caveat, they get very hot after industral useage of driving 1000 screws in a deck. Not made for this duty..but they have finished a few jobs where others have given up the ghost. I keep 6 of them ready just in case.

yes, I am looking as well for 3 very nice units and will be paying attention to this thread.
      When in doubt, unplug the saw.

Comment

It's inner beauty that counts but...

"A see a general "cheaping" of the tools in favor for "bling" (I can tell them where to put the styling and tattoo culture looks)"

I agree. I never got into the "I hate orange!" or "yellow is funky!" debates re- tools brands and their colors--I mostly care about the color of the money I spend and what kind of quality it gets me per buck. The new Hitachi Super Soaker water gun look is hard to take seriously though. Really hard...
        A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Working...
        X