Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best handtool to trim thin metal kickplate.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best handtool to trim thin metal kickplate.

Don't have access to metal bandsaw. Have 8"x34" wide steel kickplate that needs to be trimmed down to about 6 1/2".

Thinking of using jigsaw with 32 tpi Bosch metal blade. Would clamp kick plate between boards and use another board as fence. Slightly concerned saw might drift and end up with uneven line.

Or is the whole idea just bad???

Whether the blade drifts or not would depend on the quality of your jigsaw.
    How about making a test cut closer to the edge of the kickplate or using a pair of tin snips?
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I would try and find a metal fabricating shop and ask if they would cut it for you. Shouldn't cost much and you will get a straight clean cut since they will use a shear to cut it.
      SSG, U.S. Army
      Retired
      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Use the jig saw and straight edge. Put blue tape on the saw shoe to prevent any scratching. Smooth cut edge with a file. Put cut edge down when installing. Most likely it's plated aluminum anyway, but could be brass.
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
          Use the jig saw and straight edge. Put blue tape on the saw shoe to prevent any scratching. Smooth cut edge with a file. Put cut edge down when installing. Most likely it's plated aluminum anyway, but could be brass.
          That was pretty much my plan. Except I wasn't worried about scratching the side I'm sawing on because I'm sawing the underside...that way the blade will be pulling up. I was thinking of using a fine sanding block to smooth.

Not sure if it is nickel plated brass or stainless or aluminum...doesn't say. Stainless will be the toughest on the blade.

My biggest fear is pulling and warping the plate...which is why I'm not considering cutting it with snips. Clamping it between a couple boards and letting the blade do the cutting...vs. pushing...should prevent that.

I'm also concerned about getting the attachment holes aligned. I'll use a centerpunch before I drill so the bit won't wander.

Comment

DONE! Worked like a charm...except for missing parts...

DONE! Worked like a charm...except for missing parts.

Clamped kick plate between two melamine shelves. Used upper one as the guide. Plate was aluminum....easy to cut.

Only problem was pack of screws was half empty and I didn't have adequate substitutes so I had to make the round trip back to the hardware store to get replacements.

Comment

Working...
            X