Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the brushes replaceable?

Hello,
    I have a ridgid 18 volt cordless drill and the brushes in the motor started to make a lot of noise, I think maybe a spring broke.
    can these be replaced or do I need to buy a new motor and gear train?
    I dont see just the motor listed at all, and the motor and gear train is $100.00
    I bought this set reconditioned and I'm not sure if it would be covered under the warranty.
    Does anyone have any ideas?

I have the R83001 14.4 Volt Drill which is similar in design I believe. Checking the parts list, I do not see either an illustration or part number for motor brushes. It appears that they are integral to the motor assembly and a parts breakdown doesn't seem to be available to consumers. Perhaps its just a sealed unit which would make bench-top maintenance more complex than just replacing the assembly. I really don't know, without taking the tool apart.

I'd explore the warranty coverage for a "reconditioned" tool, surely you must have be given some length of time. If you can't find it with any paperwork, give Ridgid Customer Support a call or contact your nearest Authorized Service Center. (Ridgid Customer Support is 1-866-539-1710)

Sorry I can't be of more help,

CWS

Comment

No the brushes are not an available part. You can take the motor apart and try to match them but I have not had much luck with this in the past.

Comment

Ridgid, I believe, uses Johnson Electric motors which are highly mass-produced and are built to be as inexpensive as possible. Therefore their brushes are typically built as an integral part of the motor and aren't removable as a separate assembly. It makes for a cheaper motor (albiet shorter lifespan and less serviceable) and costs them less to build the unit. The motor is a throw away. If the brushes go, the motor is toast.

Most other major brands such as Bosch, Makita, DeWalt, etc. build their own optimized motors for their tools and have replaceable brushes. These other brands sometimes use Johnson motors in their lower-end compact series drills. Bosch and DeWalt compact series drills use either Johnson or Mabuchi motors usually. I forget who uses which.
        Last edited by Sceeter W Wheels; 11-28-2006, 06:48 PM.

Comment

This would be a lucky break, but you might keep your eyes and ears open for the same drill where it got dropped when almost new and broke the case. While such a drop could damage the motor, if you can get it dirt cheap you might have a good motor. The other choice would be to keep an eye open at Home Depot for sale of a display drill (same as you have) without battery or charger. If the price is right, you might buy it and make a good one swapping parts around with your's. Anymore it seems that we need to try to get a parts list and exploded view of a tool before we buy it. If the company won't supply such, do not buy their tool.

Comment

Tough nut to crack!

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
            This would be a lucky break, but you might keep your eyes and ears open for the same drill where it got dropped when almost new and broke the case. While such a drop could damage the motor, if you can get it dirt cheap you might have a good motor. The other choice would be to keep an eye open at Home Depot for sale of a display drill (same as you have) without battery or charger. If the price is right, you might buy it and make a good one swapping parts around with your's. Anymore it seems that we need to try to get a parts list and exploded view of a tool before we buy it. If the company won't supply such, do not buy their tool.
            Ridgid's are pretty tough...would take a fall from several stories to break one. Wonder if the motor in the Ryobi 1/2" is the same. Might have better luck finding one of them cheap.

Comment

Working...
            X