X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
    That driver has the three torque settings...but no revolution control. The NiMh version has got to be upgraded to a Lithium version soon.

Very true. The battery upgrade is a good reason to wait. (If the price isn't enough). What is revolution control?
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Revolution control is designed to prevent overtorquing screws.

Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post
      Very true. The battery upgrade is a good reason to wait. (If the price isn't enough). What is revolution control?
      Revolution control is designed to prevent overtorquing screws. It stops the driver after it senses an increase in torque or decrease in speed and will only travel 1/2 revolution after that. This prevents popping the heads off screws when you bottom them. I've only seen this on this particular Panasonic model. The Lithium-Ion impact driver has three force settings but no revolution control.

Comment

Ah. Yeah I was noticing that too when I looked at the LI version. I really like that clutch feature (if it works as promised) because it seems it would make it so much more versatile--I'd use it all the time for sure. I work as a cabinet refacer for a big company. Very big. Anyway, most of the installers use their impact drivers for everything from fastening door hinges and driving #6 screws into particle board to hanging new cabinet boxes with 3"1/2 screws into rafters. I know the finesse can be learned since they seldom seem to strip holes or tear off heads--even in the cheap materials.

Still--I'm a sucker for features that make sense--even if I can get by without them and prolly save a bill or two while I'm at it.

The decision to wait is made easier by lack of funds post holliday. For the best I'm sure.
        A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

clutch or ion power?

so has anyone had any real use with these tools? id like to know how they hold up and which one is the better choice, the old one with the clutch or the new ion?

Comment

I have a 14.4 v Ridgid drill/driver (clutch) and also the 14.4 Impact driver. I have used them both quite a bit, but frankly for wood working (and general remodeling) I find the drill/driver to be more versatile and actually more suited to the job of driving screws in wood. The impact driver, though a bit more compact is almost overkill! That baby will rip out a hole if you're not careful. Perhaps it's the tool of choice if driving big lag screws in hardwood, but for assembling a furniture project, fastening down subfloor, or drive deck screws, the impact driver is almost too powerful.

Likewise, I think we get a bit carried away with the idea that the bigger voltage tools are better. They definitely are when the torque and power are needed. But there is a weight cost. For instance, I just purchased the Ridgid 18 v hammer-drill. (Too good of a deal to pass up!) It will be ideal when I need to anchor a heavy bolt or drill a few holes in concrete. But there will be no match for the lighter weight and slightly smaller 14.4 v tool.

So, for the original question regarding "performing general woodworking tasks", I'm not so sure a 18 or 24 volt tool would be the best option. The Li-ion tools would offer better battery performance, but with a 20-minute recharge time, does that extra $150 or so, make that a wise choice for the general woodworker. You might also want to take into consideration what the replacement battery is going to cost you... even Li-ion batteries don't last forever. At least with the Ridgid, you can register and get the LLSA which will replace your battery or charger forever.

Just a thought,

CWS
            Last edited by CWSmith; 01-02-2007, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X