Impact Driver Cordless drill upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact Driver Cordless drill upgrade

I have been shopping around for impact drivers lately and wanted to get some outside thoughts. I am looking for one mainly to perform general woodworking type tasks. The other issue is that my current cordless drills a 19.6v craftsman and 12v dewalt are on their last leg and need to be replaced soon. I was almost sold on the new 18volt makitas or panasonics but the price seemed a little much and maybe that is over kill for me. I ran across the 12v right angle ridgid and thought that might be the ticket. Any thoughts I have poured over the consumer reports review and they seem pretty high on the makitas and pansonics as well. Bottom line is I would like to get the best thing out there to suit my needs.

Lots of nice little impacts out there.

Once you use an impact you will not want to go back to a standard driver.

The right angle Ridgid is nice, because it can get into tighter spaces...nice for chasing lag screws under deck boards...however, in general, it is less ergonomic. I use my Ryobi 18V anywhere it will work...which is 99% of the time.

If you are looking at the best value you can't beat the Ryobi One+ (lower price line made by same corp as Ridgid, TTI) or the Sears Craftsman C3 line (also made by TTI.) You can buy the C3 1/2" drill (careful...they also sell the 3/8 in a set) and impact driver in a set for $120....less when on sale which I think it is this week. The drill was a best buy in Consumer Reports.

Unfortunately, the Ridgid impact driver is sold with the drill, only in the large set...you'd have to buy the reciprocating saw, drill and circular saw with it...unless you buy the impact wrench alone.

The Makita driver and impact wrench is available in a 18V Lithium set for about $300....using Amazon, NOVTOOLS coupon and free shipping. A bit more expensive but a very impressive set.

Comment

Originally posted by DocXmas View Post
      I have been shopping around for impact drivers lately and wanted to get some outside thoughts. I am looking for one mainly to perform general woodworking type tasks. The other issue is that my current cordless drills a 19.6v craftsman and 12v dewalt are on their last leg and need to be replaced soon. I was almost sold on the new 18volt makitas or panasonics but the price seemed a little much and maybe that is over kill for me. I ran across the 12v right angle ridgid and thought that might be the ticket. Any thoughts I have poured over the consumer reports review and they seem pretty high on the makitas and pansonics as well. Bottom line is I would like to get the best thing out there to suit my needs.
      I got the 12v right angle impact driver in a ridgid combo about six months ago.
      I would not have bought it seperately but have been very impressed with it as a tool.
      It gets in many tight spots that no other driver can; the head is even shorter/ smaller than that new bosch angle litheum driver so you get get into smaller spots with the ridgid. As well it is reasonably light and the impact only kicks in when it meets enough resistance. Bottom line is that I am quite impressed with the tool. The only downside for me is that it only came with one 12v battery as the rest of the kit was all 18v.

Here is a review as well.
      http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews...pctdrvrvu.html

BTW, depending on how much torque you need, you may want to consider the full size ridgid impact driver. The right angle one has 700 inch pounds of tourque which is plenty for my needs, the Ryobi 18v has 1000, the dewalt has 1200 and the Ridgid full size one has 1400!!!! Not sure if you need that much but it is pretty impressive.
      Last edited by Tall_Canuck; 11-28-2006, 11:45 AM.

Comment

I really like the Craftsman 19.2 volt impact. It sounds like you already have the battery and charger, so you can buy the bare tool for around $70. Maybe less if you shop Ebay. The only drawback with this tool is the weight. I haven't tried them, but the Makita 12 and 14 volt impacts look very nice with a torque rating equal the the Craftsman. I wouldn't worry about finding the maximum torque unless you're driving large lag bolts.

Comment

ridgid 18v impact driver

I have the 18v impact driver and it is amazing!
          I use either the max hc battery or the newer 18v 2.5ah battery

I recently built a doggie ramp for a Ford Explorer. I used pocket holes/screws
          and using the impact driver the screws went in smoothly.

the impact driver itself is a nice comfortable size and weight.
          since I acquired this tool my ridgid 18v hammer drill has grown cob webs!

I am very impressed with the torque. I have yet to have it stop or fail at any application I give it. I even use it to drill holes.

I have the entire 18v ridgid line. My motivation is to have one battery system for all the tools. I am a weekend warrior so I do not abuse or stress any of the tools.
          I am very pleased with the entire set, and especially the 2.5ah 18v battery.

Cactus Man

Comment

The previous replies give what I'm about to repeat.

I have or owned the following:

1) Ryobi 18 volt impact.
            I was hesistant on the Ryobi brand, but after driving 245, 2 inch cement screws through cement board, I became a fan. Used one battery for that task.
            A very good tool, sold it because I wanted something lighter.

2) Ridgid R.A. 12 volt Impact
            Needed a R.A. impact for some jobs and this fits the bill, after 6 months
            I really dig it.

3) Makita 12 volt Impact
            This was a made in Japan model, excellent grip, lightweight, has a L.E.D. work light, gave it to my bro-in law, he digs it too. I got swayed by the new
            Lithium batteries and therefore gave it to him, never missed a beat, 1 battery started to lose some oomph! but they were three years old and
            were used more than their fair share.

4) Makita Lithium 18 volt Impact
            made in Japan model, Makita is slowly introducing Made in China models.
            I cannot come up with any negatives about this impact driver, strong as a horse, lightweight and a nice L.E.D. work light, small in size for tight areas.
            I'm not a ranting Makita fan but the new set-up of lithium batteries, the tool
            and it's design do work well here.
            If someone came up to me and said, hey, do you want a FREE new Panasonic Impact Driver with Digital read out and a preset clutch option to avoid broken screw heads or lag heads? I would say heck yeah!

I would like a clutch on the impact driver but that's my only complaint.
            Last edited by jaco; 11-29-2006, 01:02 AM.

Comment

I have the ridgid 12v RA impact and it's really handy in tight areas. I've even used it to drill 1' holes in 2x4s with a spade bit. The only negative is that the battery life sucks!
              I've also got a Bosch 12v impact and it is beautiful - works great as drill too!
              Lots of power and awesome quality...

Comment

Not possible to have an adjustable clutch on an impact.

Originally posted by jaco View Post
                I would like a clutch on the impact driver but that's my only complaint.
                Not possible to have an adjustable clutch on an impact. The torque is controlled by the number of impacts...how long you hold the wrench on the fastener. Imagine it more like a hammer...knocking a nail home.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                  Not possible to have an adjustable clutch on an impact. The torque is controlled by the number of impacts...how long you hold the wrench on the fastener. Imagine it more like a hammer...knocking a nail home.

I hear what you're saying...but..I found this info useful
                  that leads me to believe that a clutch is possible, at least with this model.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...00000000005702

EY7202GQW
                  12V Cordless Impact Driver Kit with Digital Clutch

Advanced Digital Clutch Technology
                  Have you ever experienced trouble like damaging the material or snapping the head off a screw and had to redo the work? New digital clutch technology automatically stops before over tightening even when the switch is still being pulled. Clutch operation is digitally controlled to match working conditions using a sensor and microcomputer. You set the digital clutch stage (16 stages) and press the tighten button, which will stop after the screw has been tightened about one-half rotation. This makes fine flush alignment quick and easy to do, even at high power. Better yet, the new digital clutch eliminates the need for the user to perform fine speed control, and thereby reduces mistakes from over tightening.

Comment

Neat.

Originally posted by jaco View Post
                    I hear what you're saying...but..I found this info useful
                    that leads me to believe that a clutch is possible, at least with this model.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...00000000005702

EY7202GQW
                    12V Cordless Impact Driver Kit with Digital Clutch

Advanced Digital Clutch Technology
                    .........You set the digital clutch stage (16 stages) and press the tighten button, which will stop after the screw has been tightened about one-half rotation.
                    That isn't really torque adjustment as much as rotation control with a microcomputer to avoid popping a head off if you sink a screw too far. Probably works by measuring installation speed and being able to calculate the point where the drill rotation speed significantly slows when the screw head contacts the surface. It is a pretty neat feature.

Also, it does have some level of actual torque control by allowing you to set the impact force to either 1060in-lb (hard mode) or 530in-lb (soft mode.) That could also help avoid popping screw heads.

These are good features for installing screws where the torque isn't critical. In applications that require a specific torque you will still need to pull out a torque wrench.

Comment

"that leads me to believe that a clutch is possible,"

I agree with jaco, some type of clutch is needed on these impacts if you want to drive smaller fasteners with them.
                      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Panasonic w/ free flashlight and shipping

The panasonic 12 volt is selling on amazon for $279 with free shipping and bonus flashlight. I went from wanting one to needing one durring the course of reading this thread!

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-EY72...9?ie=UTF8&s=hi
                        A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

The Panasonic impact, with torque control is intriquing....however....

Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post
                          The panasonic 12 volt is selling on amazon for $279 with free shipping and bonus flashlight. I went from wanting one to needing one durring the course of reading this thread!

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-EY72...9?ie=UTF8&s=hi
                          The Panasonic impact, with torque control is intriquing....however $280 is still pretty steep for a torque driver. I have been considering getting the Panasonic Lithium drill and driver set for $370. That driver has the three torque settings...but no revolution control. The NiMh version has got to be upgraded to a Lithium version soon.

Comment

All i can say about the panasonic is that they are built very nice.i have yet to work on any of the newer stuff,but when a ey6100 drill driver comes in for repair it is usually just a switch.if more people owned a panasonic i think they would be the top selling cordless tools.srong and durable,but i guess you have to have a deep pocket.
                            A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

i had the ridgid right angle driver and returned it. i found that i had to use 2 hands to operate it, but i do have small hands so ymmv. i bought the ryobi impact and it works great for me. i also have a panasonic 12v drill and it is very nice- i'm on the first battery charge since i got it a little over a month ago, and it's still going strong...amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              X