Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems w/0375-6 Milwaukee close quarters drill anyone?Hitachi RT angle any good???

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems w/0375-6 Milwaukee close quarters drill anyone?Hitachi RT angle any good???

My friend had top drill out grade 8 bolts at work;after drilling them out the 0375(3/8 chuck;0-1300) developed some geartrain noise. Holes were not that big. Are these drills known for gear problems. I purchased a Hitachi D10YB 3/8 right angle drill as a xmas/birthday gift(my daughter's godfather besides my friend) to replace his 0375 til he gets warrantee work done. Anyone know if the Hitach's are a good angle drill. They spec out ok.
    Last edited by Akita; 11-29-2006, 09:06 AM.
    You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

I use a bosch 1132vsr angle drill. It is a great drill. The Hitachi,however,has more torque 106"lbs vs bosch's 49"lbs. Thought of getting him a big RAD drill but figure they are mostly for boring big holes in wood not smaller holes in metal.
    Last edited by Akita; 11-29-2006, 09:07 AM.

Comment

That Mil drill is prone to gear problems.

Comment

If a real RA Drill (90 degree) will get the work done for him, he is better off with such. The "Close Quarters" drills are mostly lighter duty and for use where nothing else will fit. The gears can be replaced and when was the last time he had the grease cleaned out and replaced with new? If tools are used much they really do need service like your car needs lube, oil and fiter changes. Tools need regular servicing too. If you can get him to give you the 0375, send it to your drill doctor friend. If it's pretty new, send it with reciept to a good MET service center. I think you did OK with the Hitachi. My old Makita 3/8 RA Drill has served me well and I have really worked it hard. You might look into one of them sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          If a real RA Drill (90 degree) will get the work done for him, he is better off with such. The "Close Quarters" drills are mostly lighter duty and for use where nothing else will fit. The gears can be replaced and when was the last time he had the grease cleaned out and replaced with new? If tools are used much they really do need service like your car needs lube, oil and fiter changes. Tools need regular servicing too. If you can get him to give you the 0375, send it to your drill doctor friend. If it's pretty new, send it with reciept to a good MET service center. I think you did OK with the Hitachi. My old Makita 3/8 RA Drill has served me well and I have really worked it hard. You might look into one of them sometime.
          It's still under warrantee. It's a older lifetime guarantee milwaukee as oposed to the new 5 year warrantee milwaukees. He is looking into getting it fixed a a milwaukee service center.

Comment

Akita,

That's great and if they won't or can't fix it, he might try contacting Sioux and see what they are willing to do. We both know they made it under contract for MET. If worst comes to worst, send it to "you know who" and he will check it out and advise. I have not used the Hitachi 3/8" RA Drill yet, but I have a gut feeling it just might end up being a little gem of a tool. We know your Bosch has done well by you and my older Makita by me. I really wish that Makita still made the very special model of their old style 3/8 RA Drill that had a VSR control on it. If I can get one or maybe two of them either fully reconditioned or really in any condition if the price is right, I'm going for it. Mine is the old single speed with nothing but ON and OFF. It's not a nice tool to use, but it workes hard and long. I do take it apart and regreese it once a year. The Makita owned service center near me once did a full rebuild job on it and told me I was giving that old drill better care than it deserved. My reply: Well, I can't find anything I like any better. It's simple and it does work. They told me to be on the lookout for the same drill but with VSR and said they are hard, hard, hard to come by. They fully agree that Makita was *&^%$#@ to stop making what worked out very well. Oh well, that's the **** **** wanting fancy LED lights and such on a little drill. It's also all about the $$$ factor.

When you do get the Hitachi, please please try it some and let me know what you think of it. You can then really clean it up, put in box, give to friend and know it's not defective. It does always pay off in the long run to test try anything you buy for a gift. If anything seems wrong, send it back fast for another. What a big shame it would be on Christmas day if he opened it only to find a defective tool. Then I can hear you &^%$#@%&*( all the way over here where I am. I'm sure you understand.
            Last edited by Woussko; 09-01-2007, 06:33 PM.

Comment

A Little Gem of a Right Angle Drill

Measures only 3-1/2" from tip of chuck to widest portion of tool body !!! (compact)

Makita Model DA3000R-R Features:
              Ideal for Close Quarter Drilling or Driving
              Variable speed (0 - 1,400 RPM) for easy starting and accurate hole positioning, Ball bearing construction for long tool life, Reversible for removing screws, Paddle switch for easy one-handed operation, Double insulated

Makita Model DA3000R-R Specifications:
              Capacity: Steel 3/8" Wood 5/8" (If you go easy it will drill 3/4" holes in soft wood with a flat spade bit just fine)
              No Load RPM 0 - 1,400 AMPS 2.8 Length 10-3/4"

This little drill feel right in my hands and I can fit it into tight spots. It may not go everywhere some of the new wild style drills can go, but it is a great drill for making 9/16" holes in joists or studs for Romex or BX or up to 3/4" holes for 1/2 copper L or M pipe. It's no super powered tool and you need to take it easy on it. For the tuffer jobs do your best to use a D handle drill with a good RA head or if you can, grab a real HoleHawg and get the job done.

Mine is the father of this drill and is the same but doesn't have any electronics. Mine is just ON and OFF. With the VSR control it would be much more user friendly. I'm on the hunt for this model described above. Mine is the DR3000 with no suffex letters. Yup, It's an old timer.

Link is for a good picture of the DA3000R-R Drill
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Woussko; 12-02-2006, 02:19 PM. Reason: Added link for picture of this tool

Comment

Working...
              X