slipping chuck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slipping chuck

I have a ryboi drill, couple of years old now. It has been a good drill I have beat on it pretty good, but I find that some bits are spinning in the chuck no matter how much I tighten the keyless chuck. Is there something that I can do to fix this?
    Thanks

Other than replacing the chuck no. The lands in the chuck are probably worn out. Replacing the chuck is fairly inexpensive and straight forward.

Comment

When you go about getting ready to replace the chuck, open it wide open and look for a retaining screw. It may be slotted or a hex or Torx head. You'll need to remove it and it is most likely a left hand thread, so try turning it clockwise. Once removed, put a good size L shaped hex key wrench into the chuck and tighten it. Now with a wood block, strike the hex key as as to force spin the chuck counter clockwise looking into the chuck opening end. You may have to work a little to get it off. Don't get wild. If it won't come off, take the drill to a power tool repair shop. Nothing is worth getting yourself hurt or busting the spindle. Anyway once the chuck is off, try going for a KEYED replacement chuck. Most tighten up better than keyless ones until you go high end with the keyless. Texan has the right idea about the jaws getting worn and then they won't grab well. Good luck and let us know how things work for you.

Comment

Thanks I will see about replacing the chuck.
        I just got the battaries rebuilt, so don't want to change drills right now.

Comment

If it is 18V the batteries will be compatible with newer drills

Originally posted by ekih View Post
          Thanks I will see about replacing the chuck.
          I just got the battaries rebuilt, so don't want to change drills right now.
          All the Ryobi 18V tools use compatible batteries. The latest Ryobi batteries are so cheap it doesn't make sense to rebuild them.

Comment

Working...
          X