No announcement yet.

Ridgid 18v Planer Battery

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 18v Planer Battery

I have had the R848 for about 4 months or so now.

I have discovered my first problem.

The battery does not seem to last long at all. Usually my time with the planer is brief, but this past weekend it wasnt.

I only have the one battery, and I didnt get a second because of the 30 min charger. I now realize that the 30 min charge is relative. It may charge in 30 but it needs about an hour to cool down before it will start to charge.

Would you consider it normal for the planer to run for a solid 15-25 minutes on a full charge or is something wrong with my battery.

I know an obvious solution is a second battery, but I wanted to see opinions before I go that route.

Also, would it be worth it if I sold the R848 on ebay (or here if someone wants it) and then upgrade to the R888 Dual power planer.

I've not timed it but that sounds about right.

I've not timed it but that sounds about right. I think cordless planers are designed for little trimming doors. It takes a lot of juice to remove all that wood. The MaxHC battery is 1.9AmpHrs. Ridgid released a Max2.5 battery (2.5AmpHrs) in later tools that is compatible with the planer and charger and will give about 40% longer run times. Also, Ridgid is releasing a 24V MaxSelect planer that will run off a 3AmpHr battery which should yield 60% longer runtime.

run time

I have this tool too. I also find the 1.9ah battery provides a usable but short run time [depending upon the battery condition].
      I have purchased the 18v 2.5ah battery and find they provide a significant longer run time.

I like the planer but it is not designed to address large jobs like planing a dozen doors at one time! This is a tool for those quick fix planer tasks where a power corded unit is a hassle.

I do like the the blade design and this tool does cut very well with minimal snipe. BUT, there is a learning curve to ensure you do not get snipe.

If you do want longer run times I suggest you buy two or maybe three of the 2.5ah batteries and get the dual charger with the blower. These can be found on e-bay at a significant savings! Using the three battery concept you will always have power ready, the blower dual charger to me seems to charge faster and better as it helps dissipate the heat build up.

I have enough batteries so I never have to stop due to lack of power except for the moments required to change batteries.

Depending upon the task at hand all battery tools have limits compared to the corded ones..We tend to forget that and infer these battery tools have limitless power ready to go...then of course when on the roof or on the ladder putting in the last screw or cutting the last piece of wood the battery poops out!

I have learned that prior to climbing on the ladder or roof or in another awkward place to use a battery tool I pop in a fresh battery so I only need
      to be concerned with the task at hand and safety.

Cactus Man

So If I hear correctly, I can use the bigger batteries for this unit and get the increased perfomance?

My worry was that I would get the upgraded batteries and be stuck with the same performance of the old batteries due to the limitation of the planer.

simply put, the 18v 2.5ah battery will provide you a longer run time than the 18v 1.9ah battery.
          looking only at no load power.... 18X2.5=45watts 18x1.9=34.2watts
          power = volts times amps [this is DC folks]

there are variables to consider..and this also applies to all battery operated tools...

1. the true condition of the battery.
          A new freshly charged battery will last longer than an old abused battery
          with some nicad memory. Properly maintained older batteries are still good,
          do not misinterpret the above statement. you get the concept.
          2. the ability of the charger to properly charge and cycle the battery
          there are few known battery charger failures but it can happen
          3. The stress on the tool
          planing 1/32" VS. planing 1/8" in soft material VS. hard material
          another example is using a drill to drill 1/8" holes VS. 3/8" holes
          you get the idea.

Cactus Man