X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IR-100 Thermometer - Any reviews?

Anyone own one of these? What is the expected accuracy? Can you take your kids temp from accross the room Or get just a relative reading on an engine header.

Originally posted by Plainsman View Post
    Anyone own one of these? What is the expected accuracy? Can you take your kids temp from accross the room Or get just a relative reading on an engine header.
    You might want to throw-down a little more information. Such as the name of the manufacturer.

You seem like you are a man with a mission, so I don't want to get in your way.

This would be just a suggestion.
    the dog

Comment

it's the new ridgid infa-red thermometer.

i don't own this model, but i do own another brand. it's great for checking the hot water loops for circulation. mine also has a laser spot to aim with.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

RIDGID MicroRay

Great to see the thread start on this new product. Biased of course, but I really like it. 15 to 1 spot ratio with some great features. We are giving away one per month. There is a seperate site set up where you can register for the contest and see the product detail:

www.ridgid.com/microray

Thanks for your support of RIDGID!

Comment

I have a little Extech Digital Thermometer

Incredibly useful. Use it to diagnose air leaks, insulation issues, RC engine combustion, computer cooling...etc. It takes a while to get used to the fact that you have this tool...keep finding more and more uses for it.

Great to have in the tool box. Batteries last forever. If I recall, paid about $70 bucks for it.

http://www.contractor-books.com/EX/Guide_IR_Therm.htm

Comment

I played with it for a long time in the product managers office here. Very cool. (not an advertisement... seriously) you can take surface temperatures on pretty much anything from accross the room just point and pull the trigger while the lazer is on your target. I am gonna borrow one over Christmas break to check the insulating job I did last winter. I was amazed at the technology. never knew you could take temperatures that way. Even more amazed that the technology has been out for some time.

Josh

PS.. I highly doubt there will be any reviews out there yet. We just launched the product a couple weeks ago. Brand new.
            Last edited by Josh; 12-04-2006, 09:43 AM.

Comment

We have used them (from various manufacturers) at my workplace for at least ten years. Right now the Raytek brand is what we are using. I believe the Raytek line of IR Thermometers was bought by Fluke recently.

Anyway, they are very handy and for roughly $100 you will find many uses for one. It's worth the investment. Good for checking bearing temps and running equipment, circuit breaker temps, HVAC uses, temps on hard to reach piping in overhead, cold spots in insulation as Josh mentioned.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

The further you get from the source, the wider the temperature data input, which means they average the overall temp over the area they are "seeing". Check the users manual to see how accurate they are and what area they are measuring at what distance. The ones we used to use at my past job had multiple laser lights that showed the area being "averaged".
                Don't think I'd rely on it for the kid's temp across the room, but if you stick it in their ear, it might be pretty accurate.

Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                  You might want to throw-down a little more information. Such as the name of the manufacturer.

You seem like you are a man with a mission, so I don't want to get in your way.

This would be just a suggestion.

Its in the subject, who do you think makes it

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
                    The further you get from the source, the wider the temperature data input, which means they average the overall temp over the area they are "seeing". Check the users manual to see how accurate they are and what area they are measuring at what distance. The ones we used to use at my past job had multiple laser lights that showed the area being "averaged".
                    Don't think I'd rely on it for the kid's temp across the room, but if you stick it in their ear, it might be pretty accurate.

Go
                    hehe, I have wanted one of these type of things for a long time, the fact Ridgid is making one makes it more desireable.

What is the accuracy typically I see the low priced ones in the 2+- degree range. I cant seem to find detailed specs on the site.

I so want to win one of these!

Comment

Working...
                    X