X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommendation needed: quiet compressor

can you recommend a quiet compressor, which will eventually run nail guns, etc?

it doesn't have to be enormous, just more quiet than my earache....i mean pancake compressor.

oil lubed right?

I have a Senco 1 HP 1 Gallon mini compressor that I use for small jobs. It's really quiet, but it's only good for a few nails at a time - not for trimming an entire house or running a framing nailer.
    I've also got a Craftsman 2 gallon hot-dog oil-lubed that's actually pretty decent - not too noisy either...

Comment

Piston compressors run quieter.

Originally posted by CheekyMonkeyWrench View Post
      can you recommend a quiet compressor, which will eventually run nail guns, etc?

it doesn't have to be enormous, just more quiet than my earache....i mean pancake compressor.

oil lubed right?
      If you want a quieter compressor you generally want to get a piston compressor. They run a little quieter and at a lower frequency. They do require oil for the case and have to be run relatively level and cost a bit more than bladder compressors. I have this 2HP Hitachi and am very satisfied with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-EC12-H...9?ie=UTF8&s=hi

It is a smaller one...satisfactory for small airguns...won't run a couple roofing nailers at once.

Comment

compressor

I have the makita mac2400 it is very quiet I also have a friend that has a ingersoll rand dd2t2 and it is also very quiet.

Comment

the belt driven piston compressor, (a two stage will probably be quieter than a single stage unit, and will pump up to higher pressures), in the process you will also get (normally) a larger tank for a better reserve and surge uses,
          the problem is the larger you get the voltage will probably become a 240 volt unit, and portability will suffer,

but for a shop unit you will have a hard time beating a good two stage lower rpm large tank unit, the closer to a true commercial unit the better, (there are two and three, cylinder units that are single stage),

I put in a, new compressor, used ASME tank, a true commercial 2 stage, compressor, and a real fully rated 5 hp three phase motor, it is great, quiet, excellent air, we are not waiting on the compressor to build any more, the air tool run better, over the small compressor there is just a day and night difference,

a good pressure regulator, one that has full air flow, many of the small units are so small that the air is restricted in passing thought them,

keep your Pan cake one for the job site, get a long hose and set the compressor out side,
          ~~~~~~~~~
          a single stage compressor pumps the air to pressure with one cylinder the max pressure is normally suggested to a max of 125,
          a two stage pumps the air through two cylinders the first pumps up to so much and then finishes pumping to the tank pressure in the second, usually the first set of cylinders is about twice the capacity as the second, higher pressure cylinder, normally rated at 175, psi,

You say I don't have any air tools that need that much pressure, and would have to regulate them all any way,

the biggest advantage I have found is that you have the air needed, in reserve, the machine turns on at where the normal singe stage shuts off, so the machine is cycling above the work pressures of the tools, where on single stage there are many times the cut in pressure is at or below the working pressures of the tools, and thus your low on air or having to wait on the compressor to recover,

for air nailers normally the air usage is low, (unless your nailing off a deck) but you get into sprayers, sandblasters, some air wrenches, sanders, air ratchets, and you will need volume and pressure,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Ridgid OL50135W Oil-Lubed Job Site Compressor

I recently purchased the Ridgid OL50135W and I've been really impressed with how quiet it is. It is quieter than the Craftsman oil-free 1.5 HP compressor that it replaced and is FAR quieter than my big Home Depot oil-free "Husky" (CH manufactured) compressor in my shop. That thing wakes up the dead in the next state!

But while the OL50135W is great for nail guns, it doesn't have the tank capacity (5 gallons) to run tools that use a lot of air. I have a pneumatic caulk gun that I use a lot. It will power that ok but has to kick on a lot because even the caulk gun drains the tank down to the point where it kicks on the compressor pretty quickly. On the other hand, the 5 gallon tank means it runs for a very short time before the cutoff pressure is reached.

Comment

Quiet!

if there is a real need for quiet, then there is no substitution for screw type

otherwise an oiled piston type that runs at 1800 rpm or less is the way to go

most noise makers are of the diaphram type that run about 3600 rpm

watch out for the 2 cylinder single stage compressors

and be sure to compare the compressors on a level playing field
              make sure they compare cfm at the same psi

Comment

I have a Campbell Hausfield Extreme(yellow pancake) w/ a 1720 rpm pump(oilless)that is very quiet indeed!!!!Not made anymore trhough!!!!It was WL5043. Paid $99 t Home Depot. It was regularly $229. My oil lubed 3450 rpm pump PC 2540S is loud. Moral of story look for slow pump speeds for quietness.
                You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

I have the Porter Cable 251T, actually came with 3 guns and is 150 psi. Very quiet

Comment

I have the Campbell Hausfeld 5 hp Extreme duty piston type that is quieter than any screw compressor I have been around. It outputs 6.8 cfm @ 90 psi. which will easily run nail guns, is on the low side for an HVLP spray gun (sufficient for moderate sized jobs), and is too small to continuously run a full-time rotary tool like an air sander or large grinder (which pull up to 12 cfm @ 110 psi.) The extreme-duty series has a cast-iron compressor assy, oil lubed, and pulley driven (lower compressor rpm) which is why it is quieter. Anything with an aluminum compressor body (even if cast-iron sleeved) will be much noisier due to aluminums propensity to carry and radiate sound waves. The aluminum cooling fines amplify the noise even more.
                    The draw back is that cast iron is heavy (mine on a 20 gal tank weighs in about 320 lbs but it does have wheels). Getting it in & out of my pick-up is a two man job (no boys need to apply!!), even with a ramp.
                    I bought it because it was quiet. I can run it in my garage, and my wife, who has excellent hearing (DAMHIKT) doesn't hear it in the kitchen one room away.

JMTCW

Go
                    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

found my sollution....Thomas Air-Pac compressors. What a freaking difference!

Comment

Thomas Air-Pac air compressors and more

http://www.thomasairpac.com/ I suggest everyone take a good look around this site. I think you'll like what you see.
                        Last edited by Woussko; 12-15-2006, 01:01 AM. Reason: Looked like I was yelling

Comment

the new dewalt trim compressors run at 69 Db - about the same volume as a vaccuum cleaner

Comment

The Thomas Air-Pac compressors are nice, but they are meant for users who will use the compressor daily...so I came close, but didn't pull the trigger.

They are very pricey, and a bit overkill for what I need. Very nice 5 year electrical warranty, and they are made in America's Dairyland, but I ended up going with the Hitachi pancake (made in Italy), that runs at 74dbls (same as thomas' for 200 clams less).

134.10 at lowes after the 10% discount.

Comment

Time will tell I guess. I personally have and love my old slow speed cast iron block stationary compressor with intake filter-muffler on it. It would take loads of $$$ to buy the same new today. It's really all about what you need and how much $$$ you can afford. Well not quite In my case I got lucky with some of what was used to make the machine and thus my cost was not too bad. Long story I hope the Hitachi works out and holds up for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X