X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid "Lifetime" Warranty

I recently bought some Ridgid tools and have since found that this warranty is not all it cracks up to be. Some of the things that I have found:

Have to register within 90 day or you are not eligible (not that big a deal)
    Warranty is never transferable (so you can't really give it to someone or sell it)

If you ever lose your lifetime agreement number, you are completely off the program and cannot get another from the company

Lifetime doesn't say anything about batteries in the Warranty but they cover for 3 years just like every other company, but you can have your battery replaced once in your life

If you need service, you either have to go to an Authorized Service Center which are very few and far between or you have to ship off your tool (prepaid shipping) to South Carolina.

The service centers aren't even owned by Ridgid they are just Authorized

When you go to the service center you have to have your lifetime agreement to get any service at all

Has anyone else ran into these problems?

Sounds like a better warranty than I got when I got married--but still working after 53 years. Batteries are kind of run down, tho.

Comment

well they have chargers! Rhymes with Niagara

Comment

I don't think any one has had to get a tool fixed under that new lifetime service agreement yet as it is just a year or two old. Ridgid has just about the most lenient wttys of any company I have seen. As far as Ridgid wtty they cover anything for any reason as near as I can tell I have never had one kicked back and when I have had to call for authorization have never had one declined. All the wtty work with very little out of wtty work is why a lot of service centers have quit doing Ridgid. I am curious though, why is it a problem for a service center not to be owned by Ridgid?

Comment

Its not that big of a problem, just nice to be able to have it serviced by someone who really has a focus on that specific line

Comment

I reckon "the Pipestone Kid" has to be a bit carefull there! Almost any Ridgid tool wil last a lot longer than most marriages!

Comment

Where did you get the idea that Ridgid has a lifetime warranty? Their standard warranty is 3 years against manufacturing defects. The do however have a Limited Lifetime Service Agreement that goes above and beyond the 3 years warranty. If you read it you'll find that it does indeed cover the free replacement of batteries.

As far as having to take your tools to have them fixed is concerned, name me one company that doesn't require that.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

i think it would be ridiculous for a power tool company to extend the LSA to a 2nd hand buyer. we're talking about tools that cost under 500 bucks for the most part.

registering is no big deal, and if you snooze, it's your fault that you'll lose. my brother has still not registered his 6mos old MSUV and 1mos old 4pc 24xli combo, despite my intermittent inquiries. i even volunteered to do it for him, and he expressed no desire to get it done at this point in time. that's the nature of the majority of consumers, but when the time comes, it's always the company's fault.

you have at least 1 service center in the chicago proper, so what's the big deal of driving it? i would rather spend 5-10 bucks on a roundtrip car ride than the freight on, say, a ts...wouldn't you?

where does it say, in the LSA, that you are limited to 1 battery replacement?

Comment

I think perhaps you have misunderstood the warranty and Limited Lifetime Service Agreement.

"Have to register within 90 day or you are not eligible (not that big a deal)
                  Warranty is never transferable (so you can't really give it to someone or sell it)"

True. But what company allows you to transfer a warranty? When you buy a Ridgid-branded power tool that is made by TTI (licensed to use the Ridgid brand name) you get a 90-day Satisfaction Guarantee and a 3-year warranty. You have the option to register for their "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement". If you do not care to do that, you're limited to the 3-year warranty, which does not require you to register anything (just keep your receipt).

This does present a couple of challenges though... First, if you receive or give a Ridgid power tool as a present, you really need to have the receipt so the receiver can register for the LLSA. Second, since Home Depot is the only authorized retailer in the U.S., buying a Ridgid tool from an E-Bay listing, makes you a second-hand owner and therefore NOT qualified for the LLSA.

"If you ever lose your lifetime agreement number, you are completely off the program and cannot get another from the company"

I don't think this is True, but why would you loose the agreement number? It's online, in your E-box and all the tools that you register are listed there with date of registration, serial number, and registration ID. There's really nothing to loose as everything is recorded online. But should you expect the Service Center to come up with the record if you can't? Interesting question.

"Lifetime doesn't say anything about batteries in the Warranty but they cover for 3 years just like every other company, but you can have your battery replaced once in your life"

Not True. First off, it's not a "Warranty" and second, the LLSA covers everything including motors, brushes, switches, chargers, and batteries. There is NO limit as long as the tool exists. (Drop it in the river, have it stolen, or loose it in a fire or flood... well, then you're out of luck!) For details, take a look at the link that Badger Dave provided.

"If you need service, you either have to go to an Authorized Service Center which are very few and far between or you have to ship off your tool (prepaid shipping) to South Carolina."

Uhhh, what did you expect, free pick-up or a house call or something? While not exactly next door to most people, UPS usually isn't too far away and they deliver. Taking or shipping only get's to be a big deal if you have to ship your 3650 or similar shop tool. Even then I'm sure things can be worked out. And, you DON'T have to ship anything to "South Carolina", just to your nearest Service Center.

"The service centers aren't even owned by Ridgid they are just Authorized"

There are very few Tool companies (if any) that can own and staff a local repair center. Even Sears contracts their service out. So what's your point?

"When you go to the service center you have to have your lifetime agreement to get any service at all"

Not really! While I don't have any direct experience, I would be highly surprised if any repair center would turn down a prospective customer. (Besides, didn't you just state that Ridgid doesn't own the repair centers, so where do you think they get their everyday business?) You'll have to pay the bill if you can't provide them with proof that it's covered by either the Warranty or the Service Agreement. You will need your purchase receipt though for the Warranty. For the LLSA, that's why you have to register and be given an ID#.

Has anyone else ran into these problems? What problems?

CWS

Comment

True. But what company allows you to transfer a warranty? When you buy a Ridgid-branded power tool that is made by TTI (licensed to use the Ridgid brand name) you get a 90-day Satisfaction Guarantee and a 3-year warranty. You have the option to register for their "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement". If you do not care to do that, you're limited to the 3-year warranty, which does not require you to register anything (just keep your receipt).

Snap-On, Craftsman, Mac??????

Comment

Originally posted by ewils91 View Post

I don't think that's true. Can you provide a link to something that is written that states that their warranties are transferable?

Do Snap-On and Mac even make any power tools? I ask that only because I'm not that familiar with their lines but I am aware that they do make hand tools.
                      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Ewils91,

I believe you're thinking about the hand tools that are made by these companies and NOT any power tools. For example, Craftsman is famous for it's replacement of just about any hand-tool bearing the Craftsman brand. Heck, even if you find a broken Craftsman tool laying in the trash, you can often get a new tool in exchange. However, their power tools carry only a 1-year warranty!

CWS

Comment

DEWALT's Warranty is transferable and they own their own service centers

Comment

Snap-on, mac, and Matco only have lifetime warranty on hand tools...

Comment

Originally posted by ewils91 View Post

NO. under the terms and condition of sale of Snap-On Incorporated - warranty: it does not allow the original customer of a product to transfer and/or assign its tools.

Comment

Working...
                              X