X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skil 10.8 Volt/Drill Driver

Just picked this one up @ Lowes for $60 ($80 at HD and everywhere else.) Seemed like a good deal compared to it's Bosch brother which runs $130. The specs are very similar to Bosch I-driver. 1 lb, 13 oz. 0-400 rpm. 90 in lb torque. 1.1 AmpHr battery..not serviceable. 10 stage electronic clutch.

Tried it tonight to remove and install door hinges. Plenty of torque…but the electronic clutch doesn’t work well. At anything but the lightest setting it would overtorque. Even the lightest setting wasn’t incredibly reliable. With smaller screws than the #10's I was using I would have been in trouble. The light is nice but isn’t aimed exactly right…but close enough to throw a little illumination.

Last edited by Disaster; 12-10-2006, 11:25 PM.

Can we assume from your post that your recommendation is not to buy this driver? From your description it sounds like it performs very poorly at the jobs that it was specifically designed for.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Yes,...can't recommend it, based on this one sample.

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      Can we assume from your post that your recommendation is not to buy this driver? From your description it sounds like it performs very poorly at the jobs that it was specifically designed for.
      Yes...can't recommend it, based on this one sample. I had hoped this would replace the little 3.4 V Lithium screwdriver we keep in the kitchen drawer. That one is a titch week on torque and has very low capacity,...only good for a dozen screws or so. It is also a single speed vs. this things variable speed.

Perhaps it has a problem with its clutch. It might be releasing too slowly. The driver has no brake and perhaps that adds to the overdriving. I might try an exchange. I do recall reading where a person had difficulty with the electronic clutch in the I-drive as well. In that case, they said, it would only drive screws into cabinets on its highest setting...which was the clutch lockup setting. I have heard no such issues with the Bosch 10.8 V Pocket Driver's mechanical clutch. Too bad this one didn't come with a mechanical clutch like that one. Perhaps it is less expensive to implement an electronic clutch.

Bosch is selling refurbished Pocket Drivers for $105. Comes with two 1.5AmpHr batteries.

Last edited by Disaster; 12-11-2006, 01:36 AM.

Comment

The Ridgid screwdriver is on sale at HD for $59...

Comment

Have it....will probably dump it on Ebay.

Originally posted by Newman View Post
          The Ridgid screwdriver is on sale at HD for $59...
          Have it....will probably dump it on Ebay.

It is a nice NiCad screwdriver, quite hefty, but I'd prefer a lightweight Lithium drill/driver.

Comment

That's the differance between bosch and Skil!!!!!!!!!!Bosch is made much better!!!!!Wood once compared the skil router to the bosch router. Bosch router had more bars on the communator and bigger bearings ;unless it's clearance you get what you pay for!!!!!!!!!!I owned a skil 3x18 belt sander for about 60 minutes and returned to Home depot and got a makita 9910 3x18 belt sander instead. Much quieter and better build quality!!!!!!!
            You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

Funny you should mention that.

Originally posted by Akita View Post
              That's the differance between bosch and Skil!!!!!!!!!!Bosch is made much better!!!!!Wood once compared the skil router to the bosch router. Bosch router had more bars on the communator and bigger bearings ;unless it's clearance you get what you pay for!!!!!
              Funny you should mention that. I have the Skil router in my basement...somewhere. Bought it when I was less educated.

Had high hopes for this little driver knowing it was developed from the Bosch unit. Figured it wouldn't be for daily use...but for those occasional little projects...and a tool my wife could reach for (she can barely pick up the 24 volt Ridgid drill.) For that kind of use I wasn't worried so much whether it's bearings would hold up to daily beating or whether it's battery could be recharged 1000 times. On the other hand, I was hoping all it's functions would work...like the electronic clutch.

Comment

Skil 10.8v just dropped to $47 at HD

Bunch of tools on sale at HD this week, 20 to 40% off...the Skil was one of them. It is now $47.

Comment

Re: Skil 10.8 Volt/Drill Driver

was at HD and saw these 3 drivers the skil you see above and a smaller one as well and the bosch you see above. the bosch is much better by far. it was very comfortable in the hand and still had some juice left so i tried it and the lights on it are alot nicer the skils lights too. I checked it out to see what my 3.1 lbs. impact driver would feel like in a few years. feels good and lite, cant wait.

Comment

I bought a Bosch Pocket Driver two weeks ago and it has become one of my favorite tools. Used it when I rerouted dryer ducts under two houses - the work light and small size were really nice features. In addition, the slow speed helps - gives excellent control and has plenty of torque at the same time. Much easier to keep in a tool belt as it does not require an extra belt hanger like a cordless drill. If you can get past the purchase price, it is a very useful tool.

Comment

I bought the ridgid one and have to say I love it. It may not have a light but I bought it when it was 57.00 at my HD and it beats draging out my 24v LXI drill when it comes to light jobs around the house. Even though my dad is eyeing the bosch the ridgid will do everything that it will except the whole light thing but I am not often driving screws in the dark LOL......
                      American by birth. Canadian at heart.

Comment

Working...
                      X