Combo Routers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combo Routers

I need help deciding which router combo to buy. I am looking at the Bosch 2.25 hp and the same in Dewalt, Porter Cable and Rigid. The use is weekend furniture building/repair, cabinet doors etc. It would be used by hand and in a table and I am looking at factory reconditioned.
    ok guys which is the better deal?
    Please check out my web page
    www.woodandwax.net

Bosch router on Amazon is a good deal.

Get the complete kit for $200 with $25 off DECOFFER coupon...or add $75 of tools to your cart and get $50 off with same coupon.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVSP...9?ie=UTF8&s=hi

pic.

Last edited by Disaster; 12-11-2006, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Get the bosch!!!!!!!!!I use it!!!!!!!!!!!!Smooth powerful motor!!!!!!!!great ergonomics!!!!!!!!!!!!
      You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

I got the Bosch kit from Lowe's - nice set!

Comment

I'm hearing alot of good stuff about the new Freud...especially for router table.

Comment

Who makes the Ridgid

The Ridgid outer combo looks a lot like the Bosch 1817 set? Is it the same? Who makes the Ridgid?

I am especially interested because it looks like we can find better deals on the Ridgid than the Bosch. If the accessories for the Bosch work on the Ridgid, it may be a no-brainer.

Originally posted by sauk_98 View Post
            I need help deciding which router combo to buy. I am looking at the Bosch 2.25 hp and the same in Dewalt, Porter Cable and Rigid. The use is weekend furniture building/repair, cabinet doors etc. It would be used by hand and in a table and I am looking at factory reconditioned.
            ok guys which is the better deal?

Comment

I don't see the similarities (at least not from the picture of the Bosch), but maybe a first-hand look might be more revealing. But, to answer your question, the Ridgid is made in China, most likely by Tectronics International (TTI) which makes most of the Ridgid brand woodworking tool under a license agreement with Emerson Electric (Ridgid's parent company).

I recently purchased the Ridgid router combo for about $153. I haven't had a chance to really get into it it yet, but it certainly appears to have some nice features and it built well. The Porter-Cable edge guide will fit it perfectly and as I understand, from a review, it will take other P-C add-ons.

CWS

Comment

The ridgid unit was made to be compatible with some Porter Cable stuff. Some bosch accessories might work but I'd recommend confirmation before buying. Ridgid makes absolutely no accessories which is a big minus. Overal the Ridgid motor assembly itself is top notch, if not better than a lot of the competition. The bases are very good but could certainly use some refinement to really get them to the same level as the Bosch and other competing units.

Comment

Sears Craftsman Pro Router Combo is made by bosch. Sears Pro router motor is polished metal instead of magnesium. Motor goes into base easier!!!!
                  You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

Porter Cable Compatability

My concern about buying the R2930 combo has been the lack of other accessories. I had thought it might be the same or similiar to the Bosch 1617 but it does appear to be much more like the Porter Cable 893. I missed PC as a compatible because I have a 690 whihc clearly is different.

I would be interested in any others who hjave experience with compatability with PC router accessories.

Thanks!

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                    I don't see the similarities (at least not from the picture of the Bosch), but maybe a first-hand look might be more revealing. But, to answer your question, the Ridgid is made in China, most likely by Tectronics International (TTI) which makes most of the Ridgid brand woodworking tool under a license agreement with Emerson Electric (Ridgid's parent company).

I recently purchased the Ridgid router combo for about $153. I haven't had a chance to really get into it it yet, but it certainly appears to have some nice features and it built well. The Porter-Cable edge guide will fit it perfectly and as I understand, from a review, it will take other P-C add-ons.

CWS

Comment

Thanks Guys, looks like I'll be going with the Bosch
                      Please check out my web page
                      www.woodandwax.net

Comment

I recently bought the Ridgid Combo. I haven't used the plunge yet but I like the router itself. I was using it to do some gun smithing on a M1 carbine folding stock. I really liked the easy start up, especially, since this was the kind of thing that couldn't have any mistakes. The L.E.D. lights are nice as long as it is used inside. Outside it makes no difference. Also, I immediately took off the plastic shield to block the debris. There is just too much stuff flying around in there. Makes it hard to see through that thing. Anyway, I like it. Big upgrade for me from the last one.

Comment

I own the Bosch......and maybe it's just bad luck, but I'm on my third one.

I bought a new one, the second or third time I used it - it died. Wouldn't turn on. Took it back, got a loaner while they sent mine away.
                          The loaner died within a few days.
                          The store looked at me real funny.
                          They made me buy a demo this time, with the understanding that I'd get a full refund on it when I got mine back.

What ever was wrong with my original, they couldn't fix it. I was given a new one. (and no I didn't cook it, all I was using was a 3/16" round over)

I'm kickin myself for not getting the PorterCable.

Comment

A lot of Bosch units had a known problem with the power switch failing very prematurely and not powering on. Sounds like this is what happened to yours. They are supposed to have fixed that for some time now.

Comment

The Rigid Router is 160 with a 30 dollar MIR. I was going to get the Bosch but it says the promotion is over for the 25 off. Is the Bosch worth the extra 100. Or does anybody have another amazon coupon code for the Bosch.

Comment

Working...
                              X