X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice On Warranty

A search on here turns up a lot of stuff on the ridgid warranty.
    I would like to give a little post about what I have going on and maybe get some feedback.

I have an older model tp1300 planer, it is a gray model, I have had it maybe 4 years, but not used it very much, I think I may be on my 3rd set of blades. About 4 mos ago while planing, a big chunk of the infeed roller came off, right out of the middle, the planer still worked as long as I fed it toward the outside edge of the roller.
    Since I have the lifetime warranty, I took the planer back to HD ( I know, I know, bad move ) HD took the planer from me and sent it to an service center, that is listed on this site, The service center called back and said it would be 250 smacker to fix my planer, seems that they found a lot of stuff wrong with my still working planer. I asked about the warranty and was told that all the repairs I needed were wear parts and nothing was covered.
    I asked about the chunk of rubber missing off the infeed and I was told this was also a wear item, they had listed some bad bearings and also said these were wear items.
    I said no thank you just send it back, When I went to HD to pick it up what I found was a box of parts, they had not put my planer back together, all of the small parts were rolling around in the bottom of the box, now put a little salt on this wound, part of the base on the planer was now broken, the broken planer base had tore a hole in the bottom on the box and as best I can tell we are missing some of the small parts.
    Before I left HD I asked that the manager look at the box and planer so that they knew it happened before I left, the manager said there was nothing they could do for me...

Here's my take on it
    Since the infeed roller puked up a big chunk, should it be warranty
    If a bearing is a wear part, then what isn't
    My planer worked when I took it in, shouldn't have worked when I got it back
    and Who pays for the broken base and missing parts.

Ok let me know what you think...

If you signed your planer up for the LLSA then the service center should have fixed your planer for free. If you didn't sign up for the LLSA then you are responsible for the cost of all repairs to the planer. As far as the broken base and missing parts go, I smell a civil action between you and the service center if you didn't have the LLSA in place.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Generally if a tool is not worth it to repair there is no sense in reassembly unless you paid for your est and reassembly before hand. As far as the roller and bearings they are concidered wear items and if they lasted several years would not be defective. If you call Ridgid I would bet they would authorize wtty repair as I have not seen them turn any thing down yet. The missing parts and broken base should be taken care of by the service center but will be damnded hard to prove

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        If you signed your planer up for the LLSA then the service center should have fixed your planer for free. If you didn't sign up for the LLSA then you are responsible for the cost of all repairs to the planer. As far as the broken base and missing parts go, I smell a civil action between you and the service center if you didn't have the LLSA in place.
        there was not a LLSA in place when I bought this planer, just a lifetime warranty, I guess what bothers me is who determines when a part has failed due to wear vs. bad materials, I seem to remember something about ridgid having problems with the old gray rollers.

Comment

Originally posted by texan168 View Post
          Generally if a tool is not worth it to repair there is no sense in reassembly unless you paid for your est and reassembly before hand. As far as the roller and bearings they are concidered wear items and if they lasted several years would not be defective. If you call Ridgid I would bet they would authorize wtty repair as I have not seen them turn any thing down yet. The missing parts and broken base should be taken care of by the service center but will be damnded hard to prove
          Hey tex, If I had known that the planer was going to come back to me in pcs. I would have never sent it out, I could have bought the rollers on line and fixed it myself. you would have thought that paying for the est. would have least gotten me a copy of it when the planer came back. Sorry something just dont smell right.

I called ridgids # and was told too bad, I have used this site to contact ridgid and was told that I should have taken it to a authorized SC, I sent back a reply with the name of the SC that did the est. and pointed out that it is a ridgid SC, and since that point have not heard anything back.

Just after I sent the gray planer in I bought a new orange ridgid planer so that I would not be without one, it is about 4 mos old and is already missing a pc. of the roller, but quite frankly I am afraid to send it in.

needless to say, I am not very happy with HD or ridgid, but I dont want to turn negative on this forum, I want this thread to stay so that others thinking of buying ridgid can read it.

Comment

You asked what people thought I was giving an opinion. Most shops will not reassemble a refused est, Mine does but we charge for ests. and will only provide a written est upon request, as I am sure any shop will do. A number of tool manufacturers will not reasemble refused ests citing safety reasons I can't acount for the validity of that am only stateing literature sent out by companies. The determination for wear, abuse or defect is made by the individual shop following guidelines set by the companies.

Comment

Originally posted by outback143 View Post
              there was not a LLSA in place when I bought this planer, just a lifetime warranty, I guess what bothers me is who determines when a part has failed due to wear vs. bad materials, I seem to remember something about ridgid having problems with the old gray rollers.
              All grey Ridgid tools were able to be grandfathered into the LLSA Program. All you had to do was register it. I registered my grey TS3612 without any hassle at all and it's now covered for as long as I have it or live, whichever ends first.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

your are right texan, I did ask for opinions, and I do thank you for taking the time to post back and give me some insite on how the Service Centers work. I would have liked to have it back in one piece, but I guess I should have did a little more homework, and asked a few more questions before I sent it off, it just never entered my mind that it would come back in pcs.

As far as being grandfathered into the LLSA, that would have been great to know, But I assume it is too late now. Well it's not the end of the world.

It kinda sounds like I am stuck with a broken planer, certinly not the worse thing to ever happen, but still just kinda bites.

I will say that before the problem with the roller, the planer worked great, the new 4 month old planer works great, except for the piece of missing roller, i have a rather new shop vac that I have had no problems with, but I dont think I can bring myself to buy another ridgid power tool. Dave and tex have brought up some very good points, but it comes down to the fact that I took in a planer that still ran and got back a box of broken parts.

josh and to all that contribute, you are doing a great job, lots of good information on this site. I have my own sawmill and find myself being a member of a lot of woodworking and sawing forums, and everyone has done a good job of putting this one together.

Comment

All old gray Ridgid tools grandfathered. Hmm.. I have a TS2424-1. I think I still have all the documentation that came with it. So, I can register it and get the LLSA agreement gratis?
                  Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

Thanks for the info Outback. Seems to me they should have fixed it. They said normal wear and tear is why they wont fix it. Then they may decide to say that on any item at any time. I was thinking of buying the Planner only because of the Lifetime Agreement but now I will have to rethink that for any other tools they sell.

Comment

This is the latest reply that I got from ridgid.

If an authorized Ridgid servvice dealer determines a failure is not warranty related, no coverage can be provided. P.M. Electric is a current authorized warranty service dealer for Ridgid power tools.

Tom C.

Just to keep everyone up to date.

Comment

Working...
                      X