Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC to DC Transformer-Battery to Plug??

Hello all,
    I am looking for a 'how to' on making a plug in transformer for my 18v Ridgies. I saw one a few years back for a Black and Decker-but no one else came out with one. Any suggestions???
    My first post; so forgive me if this was answered earlier.

Originally posted by The-Potentate View Post
    Hello all,
    I am looking for a 'how to' on making a plug in transformer for my 18v Ridgies. I saw one a few years back for a Black and Decker-but no one else came out with one. Any suggestions???
    My first post; so forgive me if this was answered earlier.
    welcome to the forum

there is a reason why no one else came up with a dc power supply

the cost and size is not to practical. this has been discussed on many occasions. maybe someone can post the threads with the search feature.

my suggestion is to buy either a couple of extra batteries, or an a.c. powered tool for real work.

an example of this is a 1/2'' cordless drill wth battery and charger is approx. $250 for a top of line ridgid. a 1/2'' electric milwaukee hole shooter is approx. $120. you can buy a lot of extension cords and never kill off this drill.

welcome and lets hear from others.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Auto battery charger and Radio Shack parts. I had an old Sears 9.6 Volt rechargeable I did it on. I set it on the chargers 20 Amp setting. At 18V you might need a charger that charges at more than 20Amps though.

Comment

A battery charger designed for automotive batteries will never put out a high enough voltage to properly operate an 18V tool, unless its a 24V charger. They are not designed to do so and have a built in voltage regulation which will limit them from going higher than ~14V DC.

Also, this is a total misapplication of a battery charger, they are not designed to be battery eliminators. If you set your charger at 10A say then there is no limit basically on how much current the tool can draw, except for its internal regulation if any. So you could easily end up smoking your tool or voiding any warranty by this action, and it would be easy to detect when you sent it back in for repair too so don't think they will never know what happened.

When the tool is running off its normal battery power source, it is limited to the max current that the battery can generate, maybe 2700 mA (2.7Amps), which is roughly 25% of what your 10 Amp charger puts out. And a battery charger is capable of outputting much more than that 10A; that is just the MAX charge rate, not a current limiting setting of the MAX output of the charger.

While a battery eliminator (on paper) sounds like a good idea for these types of portable power tools, a usable solution would cost more than a corded tool which would still the better solution.

Use battery powered tools where they save you from getting tangled in a cord or having to run out 100 foot cords for a short duration job. Use corded tools for most of your work where normal AC power is available. And don't forget to use a GFCI on your cord. If you are on a construction site, its required by OSHA and the NEC, but if you are working at home be aware that the ~50mA that it takes to stop you heart will not care if you are working at home or on some big construction site, it will KILL you just as fast.

A GFCI makes a nice stocking stuffer!! Ask Santa for one

Here's some examples if you need help locating one.

Last edited by Bob D.; 12-13-2006, 07:27 PM.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks for the advice

Hello again all,
          Thanks for the advice-I am a bit of a tinkerer and i thought I might be able to save a couple bucks and some shelf space in the garage-guess not yet.
          Have a Merry Christmas all.
          The-Potentate

Comment

battery free

EICO of brooklyn NY made nice battery eliminators
            very durable and can be found for about $20-50
            I use one to charge and eliminate batteries

works great for charging HF 18v batteries, they feel like they have more power when charged this way than with the provided charger

have revived many automotive batteries that were down to 1v

Comment

A long time ago DeWalt made an AC-DC adaptor for their 24V tools.. to give the option of using them as "corded" tools basically. My guess is that it never took off because they don't seem to make that device anymore. I'm not 100% sure, but I think a couple of other manufacturers might have had the same sort of thing.

I guess it's like everyone's saying, if people wanted to plug in they'd have bought corded stuff in the first place.

Comment

Working...
              X