X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Random Orbit sander?

I am looking at purchasing a radom orbit sander. Both the Ridgid models(R 2600&2611) caught my eye. Is the R2611 worth the extra $? I plan on using the sander for home use on general wordworking projects such as hutches. I curently do all my sanding with a R 2500 1/4 sheet sander.

The R2611 can be a very aggressive sander if you want it to be. If you don't really have a need to sand away a lot of wood all the time, the R2600, with its variable speed setting, usually would be enough sander for most people.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Get the Bosch 1295DVSK. You can barely tell it's on even at full speed. It also leaves a wonderful finished surface. I love it.

Comment

The Ridgid R2600 is about the most versatile sander I have ever used. Obviously a belt sander is better for heavy work, but the R2600 can handle a lot of different applications and is great for finish work. I am so happy with it that I have given three as gifts (obviously to my good friends, my bad friends get Black and Decker!).
        JC

Comment

I've had the R2600 for a couple of years now and I love it. Thing does a great job and is really well built. Some people don't like the location of the power switch, because it can easily be turned off during use. But, likewise it can easily be switched back on. For me, it's ideal and I have learned to locate my hands just aft of the switch.

CWS

Comment

I also was going to ask this. I didn't really see in spending the extra $ on a 6" when it is only 1" larger. I find myself buying Ridgid every think right now. I like the power and the cost. I guess I am becoming a true Ridgid man.

Comment

I was leaning towards the R2611 but you guys have me pondering. I love woodworking but hate sanding and finishing with a passion!! Thanks for all of your input.

Comment

I too was favoring the 2611, but bought the 2600 because of the weight. I don't know if my sanding technique is right or wrong, but many times, rather than turning my project piece so that I'd be sanding on a horizontal surface, I just sand on the vertical surface, and thought that the lighter 2600 would be easy to handle. And it is. Just my .02

Comment

Re: Which Random Orbit sander?

I ended up buying the 2611 and am very happy with it. One hell of a sander!!

Comment

Random orbit sanders are a pretty basic tool designs. As long as you pick one with the basic stuff like speed control from any reputable brand they are usually about equally as good. There's just not much to that tool. Usually the most significant decision you can make is which one you find ergonomically most comfortable since performancewise they all do about the same. Finishing sanders are a bit different. I no longer use my R2500 because it shakes so violently it knicks workpieces and even wants to kick out of my hand if sanding anything that doesn't allow the full area of the pad to be seated on the workpiece. Got the Bosch 1/4 sander and its a night and day difference.

Comment

Finishing Sander
                      Have any of you ever tried the Porter-Cable model 330 1/4 sheet sander? I've had mine a long time and really do like it.
                      http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2779

Random Orbital Sander
                      As for Ridgid, the R2611 is much more agressive and a workhorse than the R2600 but it's also harder to control and is about twice the weight. I really think your choice depends on the type of work you need it to do and how quickly.
                      Last edited by Woussko; 01-30-2007, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Would not recommend R2611! Went through four of these dogs in two days. The srews attaching the pad to the machine disintegrated and pad fell off. Some may even call this a "catistrophic" failure. After haggling with Home Depot because I "used them"!!?? I finally got my money back. I was slowly becoming a Ridgid fan until this!

Comment

I find it useful to have a 5" and a 6" ROS. The smaller one is great for smaller jobs as well as large ones where you cannot move the piece to a horizontal position. The 6" sander is great for projects where you have room for the huge sander, and have a lot of material to remove. I have the R2611 and a DeWalt 5", both have been workhorses.

Ern
                          Last edited by erngum; 08-16-2008, 07:55 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Working...
                          X