X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recon ridgid

I notice a lot of recon offers for Ridgid tools on the HD website, and even Amazon.com. Any known problems, and is the warranty the same with the recons.

The big downside to buying reconditioned and used RIDGID tools is that they aren't covered under the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement. I'm pretty sure that the recons also only carry a 1 Year Warranty against manufacturers defects instead of the normal 3 Year Warranty.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have purchased the three tool 18v combo kit, the 18v recip saw, and the non worm drive circ saw all reconditioned and aside from some usage marks (discoloration, scratches, etc) they have all perfromed flawlessly. All have been purchased though cumminstools.com or thier traveling tool sales at the local VFW. My only gripe is that they do not have more. I have been tempted by the 18v planer but they are curently out of stock.

Comment

I bought the 13" planer from a Cumminstool sale 2 months ago. So far it's run flawlessly. The warranty is only for 1 year.
        If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

I actually found the combo kit new for 139.99 at HD this morning. I couldn't pass it up.

Comment

There's probably a big difference between buying a "reconditioned" tool from Cummins or perhaps even HD's internet site. I believe Badger Dave is correct about the warranty and the loss of the LLSA. The price difference may be such that it overshadows the benefits of a new, full warranted, and LLSA covered tool; but that's pretty much up to the "eye" of the purchaser. However, there is no way that I would buy a "reconditioned" tool from my local Home Depot.

My local HD may well be an oddity, but I've seen these green-tagged "reconditioned" tools and they are substantially different than the tools that I've seen at local "Cummins" tool shows. In my local HD, these tools are an absolute mess; being dirty, really scuffed up, and often missing parts. There is no way they are reconditioned. In most cases, they look like they just came in off the job site and the manager has bent the rules to do somebody a big favor... otherwise I can't imagine how they find thier way back into the store.

CWS

Comment

CWS

That is the way my HD does it also. Those things look like they belong in a pawn shop. I can't imagine anyone who finds those a deal.

Comment

CWS, ditto on the green-tagged tools at the HD's here. The also usually have a sell price on them of about 10% less that what a NIB unit would cost. Somehow they do manage to sell these pieces of junk but I'm betting they never get the price for them that's on the tag.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

My planner has a 'recon' melted into the plastic motor cover. I don't remember seeing this on the reconditioned tools at HD.
                  If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Re: recon ridgid

I just recently purchased a reconditioned table saw one thing I did find out is that you have to inspect your purchase before excepting it. I will admit that ridgid does a piss poor job when it comes to reconditioning. I mean I have purchased other reconditioned items from other manufacturers and they look brand new the only diffrence is the warrenty where ridgid lookes used and abused and comes with a lesser warrenty as well . I find verry disheartning there lack of pride in all the tools that they let out of there factory that are reconditioned.
                    American by birth. Canadian at heart.

Comment

The only thing Ridgid that I have purchased it the MSUV for use with my planer & other tools like the dowel hole drilling & slotting machine I am in the process of making right now. I figured that I could see anything that might be wrong with it right up front.

I might have purchased the 4 pack of 18V tools if they would have had it on sale like they said they were going to several weeks ago.BUT THEY DIDN'T. I have decided not to purchase Ridgid tools beyond what I already have because of the connection Ridgid has with Home Depot. Ridgid is not getting a fair shake from Home Depot from all that I hear from across the USA.

I have come to realize the HD in Home Depot stands for

HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                        CWS, ditto on the green-tagged tools at the HD's here. The also usually have a sell price on them of about 10% less that what a NIB unit would cost. Somehow they do manage to sell these pieces of junk but I'm betting they never get the price for them that's on the tag.
                        I think they sell these units on a "best offer basis" For example, I picked up a millwaulkee set that was a demo for about $60 off what they had already marked it down. Its true half of the green tag stuff looks like a mess so its not worth it, but another great find was a PC 10A tiger saw for $30! That stuff must sell eventually.

Mike

Comment

I looked inti the TS2400LS at the store $450 .00 plus tax . The recon on line is like 350.00 the catch is ......shipping they wanted 150.00 to ship it .....................making it 30.00 more .............i went back to the store and bought it out the door with tax ....480.00 and some change ....and it running fine
                          R.S. Anderson

Comment

The tools that have "rec" on the housing are the ones that made it back to TTI factory and checked over. now the ones that homedepot are selling must be returns,which are checked over by someone at homedepot,this is just a guess.all tools that i have serviced and were reconditioned have. REC etched somewhere on the housing,that goes for all the manufactors.so if you buy one from homedepot without REC on the housing it probally was someone elses problem that now you have.
                            A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

Working...
                            X