X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS1250LZ out of service...

Just wanted to run this by you guys to see what you think.

I purchased my MS1250LZ back in March and as a homeowner it does not get a ton of use or wear and tear...the unit is darn close to new. Last week I am mitering some pine trim when I make a cut, let off the trigger, and the blade keeps spinning slowly losing speed to a stop.

The brake seemed to crap out, so I removed the blade and re-installed it to see if something was just out of whack. I tighten up the blade (with the laser line) and the brake seems to work fine, however, now when I hit the trigger the blade seems to pause before getting up to speed and the handle vibrates while the unit makes a low grinding noise. Something definitely isn't right.

So I call Ridgid and the woman says it sounds like a bad gear box and that I should bring it in to a service center. Hard to find a service center that does warranty work because several have stopped working with Ridgid either for being too slow delivering parts. So I bring it to a guy still doing warranty work and he says my 1250LZ doesn't have a gear box because it is direct drive so that isn't the problem. He said he wasn't sure what was going on but something definitely wasn't right so I should leave it with him, let him analyze it, and he would get back to me.

So now I am waiting...is what he said about the LZ not having gears and being direct drive correct? Has anyone had the same problem and what was the solution? Any info would be much appreciated!
    Little River Bed and Breakfast, Peterborough NH

Ms1290lz

When he says its direct drive,I don't agree with that. They are belt driven. When you say it takes a bit to get up to full speed sounds like the belt is slipping and needs to be tightned. As far as having a gear box, there is an aurbour assembly that has gears in it, this might be causing the noise. The service center should check both of these things.

Hope this helps
    CoMax Tools
    Authorized Ridgid Service Center

Comment

I was having the same problem with my MS and the blade spinning. I found the bolt and washer was loosening and the blade would free spin, dangerous in my opinion. From another part of the forum it was suggested to revert back to the original bolt and washer to see if the blade stays tight and it has. Also, others say they are beginning to hold the saw down and releasing the trigger and allowing the blade to stop in the lower position. I started doing that too and haven't any problem yet. My saw is also making a noise, either grinding or a hard buzzing, upon startup. Once up to speed everything is OK. Keep posting as you find out more about the problem. I don't think it should sound like this, I may have to bring mine to the service center also.
      If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

amcnerl, I think a loud buzzing is a better description than grinding...I will let you know what my one man show "service center" says. Hopefully we will talk tomorrow!

Comax, thanks for those details...I know very little about tools and can only nod my head and say "uh huh" when someone talks shop with me. I am one of those measure five times and cut six times and still get it wrong But I keep on trying When I chat with him tomorrow I will mention the belt (which he said isn't there) and the arbour assembly (even though he said it has no gears).

Thanks again!

Comment

There is no belt on your saw it has one gear pressed onto the arbor which is in direct contact with the pinion on the armature. The whining and loss of your break is more than likely due to a field that has shorted. The field has two windings one for running and one for the break which just kicks the saw into reverse for a fraction of a second.

Comment

Ms1290lz

Glad to help, we are a Ridgid service center out of Alberta Canada, we have seen quite a few of these saws come through for the problems you are having. The buzzing sound you are hearing is probably the motor working to get the blade spinning to proper rpm. As long as your not tripping breakers during start up I wouldn't worry about it to much. If you get a squealing during start up then its the belt tension. The blade bolt loosening is a constant problem and I have been talking to the Ridgid techs about it, there is no obvious solution yet. I think it has to do with the blade backing plates and washers being steel and the blade being steel. There is no real friction between the two and the blade backs off.
            CoMax Tools

Comment

comaxtools I think you two are talking about 2 different tools he is asking about a 1250 and your subject line says 1290. the 1250 does not use a belt the 1290 does.If I am reading it wrong I appologize.

Comment

Originally posted by ComaxTools View Post
                When he says its direct drive,I don't agree with that. They are belt driven. When you say it takes a bit to get up to full speed sounds like the belt is slipping and needs to be tightned. As far as having a gear box, there is an aurbour assembly that has gears in it, this might be causing the noise. The service center should check both of these things.

Hope this helps
                He has a 1250 not a 1290. The 1250 is a nonslider that is gear driven.
                SSG, U.S. Army
                Retired
                K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

1250 not 1290

You are correct, I misunderstood. I guess its because I see so may 1290's that my brain went into the wrong gear.
                  CoMax Tools

Comment

Comax, Can we put some loktight on the threads of the bolt to keep it from backing out? There are several grades of the stuff. Is there anything I can do about the hard loud buzzing noise. As my wife says, we paid to much for it to sound that way. What have you found that causes the noise. Obviously there's something wrong if there are many saws that make the noise. I owned a Makita for half of forever and never had a problem, gave it to my brother who still uses the hell out of it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

amcnerl,

I spoke with the repair center who talked to Ridgid and apparently they are having him swap out the motor. I am supposed to call Friday to see if it is fixed and ready for pick up...will let you know what happens next.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the update.

Comment

So he admits he was wrong about the MS not having a gearbox. He replaced the motor and when it did not fix the problem further discussions with Ridgid resulted in a different diagnosis.

He says there is a "keyway" in the gearbox which is loose which is causing the blade to shift and the resulting noise (he used more technical terms over the phone so don't pick on him for my ignorance in describing the problem). Anyway, he will explain the whole problem to me when I go to pick it up early next week after the holidays.

Comment

amcernl (and anyone else interested in the final outcome), service guy replaced the spindle assembly (part #8z8133-2) and the bearing needle (part #816781) and it seemed to do the trick.

He told me it could break again Last part lasted nine months of light use, let's hope this one lasts a bit longer!

Comment

Thanks for letting us know. I think I'll have to bring mine in soon. It's had medium usage and this summer is going to be a busy "honey do" year. Need it in top shape. Enjoy and have a great & safe New Year...

Comment

Working...
                              X