X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 18v vs. Ryobi One+

I just bought all new Ridgid 18v tools to replace my 18v Ryobi One tools.
    The Ryobi's were not bad, but the drill lacked power, and I burnt one drill out.
    The reciprocating saw blade clamp did not work well. The 5 1/2" circular saw was not too strong. The RotoZip style tool is excellent, and I'll keep that.

I do like the fact that you can but the Ryobi impact driver seperately, and the Ryobi 18v right angle drill looks good.
    Everything I have seen says that the Ryobi impact driver is a very good tool.
    It would be nice if Ridgid offered their tools like Ryobi does, so a set could be built over time at reasonable prices.

The Ridgid drill and circular saw are obviously superior, and the Ridgid jigsaw looks better than the Ryobi.

My biggest complaint about the Ryobi was the short battery life.

I really noticed it this year, when I had to drive 2 1/2" deck screws through 5/4 Trex into PT joists. The Ryobi batteries didn't last long.

I like the Ridgid tools, does anyone have any feedback on the jigsaw, X2 drill, 6 1/2" circular saw, reciprocating saw, planer, batteries or charger?

How about Ridgid vs. Ryobi for the homeowner?

Are Ridgid & Ryobi made by the same manufacturer?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Peter18v View Post
    I just bought all new Ridgid 18v tools to replace my 18v Ryobi One tools.
    The Ryobi's were not bad, but the drill lacked power, and I burnt one drill out.
    The reciprocating saw blade clamp did not work well. The 5 1/2" circular saw was not too strong. The RotoZip style tool is excellent, and I'll keep that.

I do like the fact that you can but the Ryobi impact driver seperately, and the Ryobi 18v right angle drill looks good.
    Everything I have seen says that the Ryobi impact driver is a very good tool.
    It would be nice if Ridgid offered their tools like Ryobi does, so a set could be built over time at reasonable prices.

The Ridgid drill and circular saw are obviously superior, and the Ridgid jigsaw looks better than the Ryobi.

My biggest complaint about the Ryobi was the short battery life.

I really noticed it this year, when I had to drive 2 1/2" deck screws through 5/4 Trex into PT joists. The Ryobi batteries didn't last long.

I like the Ridgid tools, does anyone have any feedback on the jigsaw, X2 drill, 6 1/2" circular saw, reciprocating saw, planer, batteries or charger?

How about Ridgid vs. Ryobi for the homeowner?

Are Ridgid & Ryobi made by the same manufacturer?

Thanks!
    Ridgid has started selling tools alone, sans batteries, in the fashion of Ryobi One+. So far they have the jigsaw, planer, circular saw, reciprocating saw and caulking gun. Some people have made mention of an impact gun, grinder and shopvac as the next tools slated for sale. Eventually, the lineup should rival Ryobi's.

I have both Ridgid's 18V and 24V tools, and Ryobi's One+. There is no doubt the One+ is a cheaper line of tools. It is almost as if they won't put more into a tool than they can sell for $60 bucks. This cheapens some tools more than others. I agree the little high speed grinder and router are nice...though the grinder on/off switch is way too easy to bump on. The drill is OK too...especially the P220. However, the reciprocating saw is a HUGE step down from Ridgids. It weighs about 1/3rd as much, shakes you like no tomorrow and the blade flaps around all over. I thought the Jigsaw was OK...till I used the Ridgid...much smoother and more powerful. Likewise for the Circular saw.

Eventually, I may get rid of my Ryobi tools...but for now I like the versatility of the huge selection. They also make good tools to lend out...or let my son's try to break.

Comment

Working...
    X