X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R8452 18-volt Circular Saw

Does anyone have any experience with the R8452 18-volt circular saw? My wife talked me into buying a combo yesterday (yeah, I know... how many wives would do that? ), and now I'm having second thoughts on the tools. While I could use the 1/2-inch hammer drill, I'm wondering about the usefulness of a cordless saw.

I already own two circular saws (corded), and I'm wondering if this little saw really has any long-lasting power to it. Oddly, I don't see anything in the product listing for this particular tool and I can't find a review anywhere.

So figuring it will be spring before I actually have a real use, I thought it would be wise to pose the question to my learned forum companions for their wise and well-respected opinions.

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to everyone,

CWS

It is a decent trim saw....great for small jobs.

Hopefully your wife got it after the recent markdown. $137.40 for the drill and saw is a hard deal to beat.

Comment

The saw is a keeper!

You're working on a project and need to make a few cuts..grabbing the battery operated saw is light weight, fast and allows you to work where the project is without the extension cord.

I have a porter cable left handed circular saw, table saw, miter saw, band saw...etc.

I have already found the battery operated circular saw a wonderful addition. You'll never have it replace the corded saw or the power of the other saws, but in many situations it's just really handy to have. A nice addition to the tool arsenal!

compare it to the corded drill VS the battery drill!

You will also find the 6 1/2 saw blade size just right for most tasks
      use your imagination and enjoy the new saw.

Cactus Man

Comment

I have the 24v 6 1/2 saw. It works fairly well for small stuff. I replaced the blade with a rigid 24t gold carbide. I ripped some 4x8 sheets of 5/8 plywood with it and it seemed to work fine. I tried to cut some 1/4 plywood with the blade that came with it and it splintered a bunch. Might have just been the wood. Not great on power, I mean compared to a corded but a lot easier to use.
        steve

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I believe I'm going to keep this. Certainly for the $137, you can't beat the economy of it all. So thanks Disaster.

Cactusman and Stoner51, you're right... that cord can be a nuisance at times and for short work I'm looking forward to leaving the extension cord and the big case on the storage rack. I did buy a 14.4 drill and impact driver last year and I find myself grabbing them first. I think the corded drills have only been off the shelf a couple of times since I bought these. I'm beginning to feel "untethered"! (at least for these little maintenance jobs)

Thanks for all of your input.

Merry Christmas to everyone,

CWS

Comment

Re: R8452 18-volt Circular Saw

Just came back from the HD and the R8452 circular saw is only available as part of the 4 piece combo kit. Why is that? I already have the driver/drill, and really don't need the extra pieces in the kit. Plus, the kit is $499+taxes.

Anyone have a link for the above mentioned kit selling in the $100-200 range or is that discontinued?

Clever marketing, Ridgid... but all I want is the friggin' saw!!!!

Comment

buy this

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R885-Cir...w/EN/index.htm

the max select tools from ridgid will work with 18V Nicad or 18V li ion or 24V li ion. whatever ridgid 18V or 24V battery you have, the max select tools will work with it.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Thanks for the reply... but turns out HD in Canada doesn't stock the R885.

Called HD to see if they could special order it... this is getting way too difficult. Tried to order it online from HD USA, they don't ship to Canada.

<start rant>
                Maybe someone from Ridgid should be checking distributor supplies to the HD store in Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada. Or, reply on this thread.

When I hear back from my local HD store next month, I'll post an update. By that time, I'll have bought a Dewalt.

Again, I like Ridgid tools, I have a bunch o' them. All I want to do is give someone some money and they will give me a saw. Seems simple. </end rant>

Comment

Originally posted by merlin View Post
                  Thanks for the reply... but turns out HD in Canada doesn't stock the R885.

Called HD to see if they could special order it... this is getting way too difficult. Tried to order it online from HD USA, they don't ship to Canada.

<start rant>
                  Maybe someone from Ridgid should be checking distributor supplies to the HD store in Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada. Or, reply on this thread.

When I hear back from my local HD store next month, I'll post an update. By that time, I'll have bought a Dewalt.

Again, I like Ridgid tools, I have a bunch o' them. All I want to do is give someone some money and they will give me a saw. Seems simple. </end rant>
                  I know this isn't the real fix, which of course would be for HD to stock the R885 in Canada. Who told you that by the way? I wouldn't trust claims by HD associates. Although they try hard they are often sources of inaccurate info.
                  ........Anyway, is there anyone you know who travels down to the lower 48 and would be willing to pick up the saw at a US Home Depot........ and save some money due to the diving US greenback?
                  Sorry I don't have a better suggestion........Good luck, Ray

Comment

Merlin, I just came across this doing some research on Rigid saws. if you can get to this link, the site says they ship to Canada.

http://www.improvementdirect.com/rid...rce=pgr_541374

Good luck.

Comment

I had the same thoughts about the lack of Ridgid tools in HD stores here in Canada. So I wrote an email to HD.
                      Here is a copy of my email and thier reply

I have noticed at HomeDepot Canada stores in the Ottawa area seem to be
                      getting less and less products in the stores.
                      I went to the website and looked at the Husky air compressor
                      Model:FP2047 I searched the store and asked a sales clerk. he told me he
                      never heard of it, and searched the website to get the model number,
                      looked at instore inventory and area stores. None in stock any where
                      close. It is considered your house brand and you do not carry it in
                      any store near Ottawa?

Example2 is the Ridgid Power tools. the cordless line is less and less .
                      On the HomeDepot.Ca you list 90 items. Of those items there no cordless
                      tool sets, there are fewer and fewer drills, drivers, impact drivers
                      offered. There are no cordless saws offered of any kind.
                      HomeDepot.com offers 2 combo kits R963, and R968
                      2 cordless drills
                      1 impact driver the maxselect model.....none of those tools offered in
                      Canada anymore, at least no where near Ottawa.
                      Both sites do not offer the cordless saw of any kind, the 6 and 1/2
                      inch circular, or the cordless Reciprocating Saw.

I switched stores and brands thinking your large box store chain would
                      keep the brand I picked in stock and would offer upgrades and new tools
                      coming. I guess I made the choice in product line that only your store
                      carries in Canada. I purchased this line after reading reviews on your
                      sites, good sale prices and warranty offered. I guess when I have to
                      switch tool line again I will looking at different store and chain for
                      another brand. Looking for a brand now that is carried by more then one
                      chain so maybe I can spend my hard earned money and fill my tool box
                      without breaking the bank. If I switch tool lines, I will switch stores
                      for everything. I am purchasing material for another deck project this
                      week. I will be looking at a smaller lumber supplier and if the price is
                      with 200 dollars of yours one way or the other I will be buying it
                      there. You cannot stock my tools that are only sold by your store,
                      how do I know you can stock the lumber I
                      need and will have more of it if I run out in the middle of the
                      project.
                      will I get any reply to my concerns or answers as to why?

Their reply was as follows

Thank you for your email to The Home Depot Online Customer Support.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

Our goal is to provide every customer with an exceptional experience.
                      Please know that the feedback you have provided will be taken very
                      seriously and will be used in the overall evaluation of the services
                      provided to our customers.

The Home Depot online store carries a limited selection of our in-store
                      products, as well as an assortment of Internet-only items not found in
                      our retail stores. And, just as prices in our stores may vary by region,
                      so are our online prices are sometimes different from those at your
                      local Home Depot store.

For assistance regarding your concern, please call Home Depot Customer
                      Care Center at 1-800-668-2266. A representative will be happy to assist
                      you.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Soumya
                      Your friends at The Home Depot

I do not see the answer as a real answer why Ridgid products are coming harder and harder to find.
                      maybe a ridgid person will read this and help answer why it is so hard to buy their product in Canada. Is there a real reason or the Canadian market too small to be taken serious by HD or Ridgid tools?

Comment

CW, What do you think of the cordless saw now that you've had it for a while?

Comment

I have the saw and use it almost daily, i seem to cut better with it

Comment

CPW,

I really like it! As I originally questioned, I wasn't sure how useful the little thing was going to be and now, it's the first circ saw that I reach for. I guess I've become a real cordless fan.

My main use has been for cutting down large sheets of plywood and I can slice up three 3/4-inch sheets of 4 x 8 ply on one charge with no problem.

I ruined the OEM blade when I was cutting through the old subfloor in the library. Those boards where over a 100 yrs old and I hit a nail... TWICE! It also brought to my attention why normal circ. saws have the blade on the right side of the motor... keeping the motor between me and the blade. No injury though, but the "jump" surely got my attention. So if you have a saw like this, with the blade on the left... please be careful. But the saw itself, had more than enough power with those hardened 4/4 boards.

The saw is light enough to use up in almost any position, and I've used it to trim off the top door or window frame molding when fitting the new bookcases; and, the blade in that left position does let me see what I'm cutting more clearly. I'm not sure if there's a "brake", but the blade has practically no spin when you release the trigger, which is also a nice feature. Both of my corded circ saws are significantly heavier and since I don't have big arms, doing any such work is a lot more comfortable knowing that I have both hands on the saw. With the cordless, it's easily a one-hand job.

I'm currently using a Freud Diablo blade in it, and it does a fairly nice job of cutting S2S ply and veneer ply without a lot of tearout. There's exactly 4-1/4 inches between the outside right edge of the base and the inside edge of the blade, so it's easy to clamp down a factory-edge and do a great job of panel cutting. No cord to get caught on the edge or under the table where you might risk hitting it. Perfect for that kind of work, IMO.

CWS

Comment

Working...
                            X