X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jointer vs. plainer

I have a very small shop, with all the saws and drills you will need but I am missing a plainer and jointer. I feel with small cabinet work etc i would be better off buying a 6 in jointer. But I'm not sure if I should purchase a planer instead. I just don't know if I will be working with enough raw wood to make it the first choice.

Any input would be helpful.

MN

I'd go for the jointer first. These things(woodworking) end up progressing into something bigger, so it would be a start. You will probably end up needing a planer in the future. Using rough cut lumber can be a lot cheaper than finished lumber. Keep the planer option open.

Mike

Comment

thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by bmg107000 View Post
        But I'm not sure if I should purchase a planer instead. I just don't know if I will be working with enough raw wood to make it the first choice.
        I think you answered your own question. Most of the comments I've seen over the years on these BB's say to buy the jointer first. Amazon is currently offering a Delta Shopmaster 6" Jointer for $300 delivered. That's a pretty good price but that jointer is IMO nowhere near the quality of the Ridgid and others that sell for not that much more. If it were me, I'd spend a little more and consider the Ridgid or the Grizzly G0452.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

jointer vs. plainer

I like the planer not mainly for raw wood but for store bought wood. Wood purchased at a different time are planed at slightly different thicknesses. In the past I ended up with allot of mismatched wood. By plaining your own you can have uniform thickness.

Comment

BD has the right idea. Try to get a good jointer first and because a good one will last for a long time, don't try to save a few $$$ and buy junk. If you find you really need a plainer, again save up for a good one. Some good lumber yards have plainers and you can have them (got to pay some for this) plain wood you buy there. That's until you have your own.

Comment

Recently purchased 6bf of Cherry from the local dealer. He charged me $10 to mill it to 3/4 s3s. I reckon if I am going to stay in this hobby I might as well get a jointer and planer. Bought the jointer, now all I have to do is get the planer.
              BTW wood magazine for November gave the Ridgid planer a good review and "best buy" tag. I'll probably be getting one soon.

And generally speaking, the big store like HD and Lowes sell s4s and I have found it to be fairly uniform in thickness, only problem is selection. Red Oak, Poplar.
              “If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace” - Thomas Paine

Comment

I guess it depends alot on what type of work you'll be doing, but the typical logic that I read is to get the planer first. There are lots of ways to square up an edge without a jointer, and with the help of a sled a planer can flatten boards. But it's very difficult to get uniform thickness and two parallel sides from a jointer.

Comment

Everwhere I read says to get the planer first. I have a jig for the TS and or i use the router table to edge wood.I would get the planer first IMO. Edging on the Ts adds 1 maybe 2 steps more but for now it works well. ( saveing for jointer now to )

Comment

Originally posted by bmg107000 View Post
                    I have a very small shop, with all the saws and drills you will need but I am missing a plainer and jointer. I feel with small cabinet work etc i would be better off buying a 6 in jointer. But I'm not sure if I should purchase a planer instead. I just don't know if I will be working with enough raw wood to make it the first choice.

Any input would be helpful.

MN
                    It really depends on the work being done. I bought the planer first. I also build cabinets and doors. I use the planer to size the stock for the styles and rails for the raised panel doors I make. It saves alot of work sanding the joints smooth when both are the same thickness to start out with. The stock you buy at the big box stores may or may not be all the same thickness when you buy it. I also run the face frame material through it for the same reason. My jointer is used for jointing the edges of the stock that I glue up for the cabinet doors raised panels. But even the panel stock gets run through the planer first to insure it is the same thickness before it is jointed and glued up. I guess what I am saying is my planer sees alot more use than the jointer.
                    SSG, U.S. Army
                    Retired
                    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Like most say, it seems to depend on your needs. I have an OLD craftsman 6" jointer that I used to use for glue ups. Now, with a good table saw and really good carbide blades, I don't need to "clean up" the edge before gluing up panels for doors and fronts. Mine is now buried in the corner, haven't used it in maybe 10 years? ( I'll sell it cheap!!! LOL)
                      I do have a 12" benchtop planer and wish i'd bought one years ago. While I don't use it alot, it sure comes in handy when last weeks batch of wood is not the same as this weeks batch from the supplier. Sure makes life easier. And its fun to find some nasty looking piece of wood and surface it down to find a treasure underneith.

Mark
                      Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Working...
                      X