X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miter Saw Ciuts

iIHAVE JUST USED MY NEW SLIDING COMPOUND MITER SAW FOR THE FIRST TIME ON A PIECE OF UNFINISHED RED OAH , I WAS TRYING TO MAKE SOME 45 DEGREE CUTS AND THEM CUT THEM OFF AT A 90 DEGREE TO MAKE SOME ANGLE WOOD BLOCKS TO SAND DOWN SOME DOVETAIL CUTS THAT WRE TOO TIGHT AND WOULD NOT SLIDE BUT AT THE END OF THE CUT IT TAKES THE SCRAP PIECES OR THE CUT OFF PIECE AND THROWS THEM AND SHATTERS THEM I HAVE A 60 TOOTH BLADE THAT CAME WITH IT THEY ARE CROSS CUTS BY THE WAY WHAT AM I DOING WRONG AS YOU CAN TELL I AM NEW TO THIS

It would help to understand what you are trying to say if you would not type in ALL CAPS, and if you would use punctuation instead of one incoherent run-on sentence...

Comment

Mr.Newman

I do appoligize for not useing proper grammer and punctuation. I was not aware that was required to ask a question, so I will ask again. I am useing the Ridgid 12" sliding compound miter saw for the very first time, I was attemptong to cut some 90 degree by 45 degree blocks for sanding some dovetail pieces that were too tight . I as cutting with a 69 tooth balde that came with the saw. The problem is at the end of the cut it throws the piece being cut off abd breaks it, almost as if it were trying to send it through the dust port, what am I doing wrong? The wood is red oak it is and end piece about 10 inches wide and a 1/2 inches thick. I do hope that this is easier for you to understand Mr. Newman and again appoligize for not being as highly educated and more efficient in my garmmer and the use of punctuation marks,I do hope that this will pass the test I am not very good at writing thank you and I hope you have a very nice day.

Comment

Hippie68,

Sounds like you are making the cut and then lifting the saw with the blade still running, which is a common, and somewhat dangerous error that many first time users make. On lifting the saw from the cut, the running blade has a tendency to grab the cut off piece and fling it out the back of the saw! Not a safe practice as you have discovered.

Proper use of the Miter Saw is to make the cut, and while the blade is in the down position, release the trigger and let the saw come to a stop. Then (and only then) should the blade be lifted. I believe this practice is covered in your owner's manual. (I know, most folks don't read the manual.)

Regarding your first post, don't sweat the spelling... you certainly don't have to be an accomplished writer or speller to post to the forum. FYI, posting in all capital letters is considered "yelling" and is usually frowned upon. Similarly, posting in one long sentence does make it difficult to read, but many of us have done that I'm sure. Please understand that at times, we all have a bad day and fail to recognize that a certain lack of perfection isn't a major offence against humanity .

Welcome to the forum and enjoy that new tool with safety in mind!

Happy New Year,

CWS

Comment

Cwsmit

Thank you for the reply, I gues i had better read that manuel, and will try your idea, thanks again for the advice and the welcome to the site. I will let you know how it wrked out, would thid be better to do on my table saw the finished result would be about 11" long and only about at the base 1/2 " wide, I want to use them for sanding blocks on a drawer with a dovetail sleiding rail that is to tight?
          thank you,thank you I went to my garage and tried it again useing your technique and it worked great. That was my first project I have tried to make and it was perfect. Thanks again
          Last edited by hippie68srw; 12-30-2006, 07:11 PM.

Comment

"you certainly don't have to be an accomplished writer or speller to post to the forum. "

True, but you can easily spell check your posts using the add-on for Internet Explorer below. It's free for personal use and works well with this forum software. You can click on the Spell Check button (ABC over the check mark) and quickly check your posts. It also works just about anywhere else on the web when using IE.

http://www.iespell.com/
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks

To say thanks Bob I did not know what that was for, I will use that in the future.

Comment

If I am reading this right the piece you are trying to make is very small and getting thrown twards the dust port. When I need to cut small pieces I attach a piece of scrap wood to the back fence to support the piece. This way the opening in the back fence is only a saw blade wide.
                SSG, U.S. Army
                Retired
                K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  "you certainly don't have to be an accomplished writer or speller to post to the forum. "

True, but you can easily spell check your posts using the add-on for Internet Explorer below. It's free for personal use and works well with this forum software. You can click on the Spell Check button (ABC over the check mark) and quickly check your posts. It also works just about anywhere else on the web when using IE.

http://www.iespell.com/
                  Why would anybody use IE when they could use a better browser like Firefox that as all that stuff built in?
                  Last edited by SteveA(MD); 01-14-2007, 01:45 PM.
                  “If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace” - Thomas Paine

Comment

I use Firefox myself and like it a lot but at times it can be very frustrating. Many times I've run into problems when using Firefox that I don't encounter if I switch over to IE. As far as the Spell Checker that is built into Firefox goes........ on a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 2½.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                      I use Firefox myself and like it a lot but at times it can be very frustrating. Many times I've run into problems when using Firefox that I don't encounter if I switch over to IE. As far as the Spell Checker that is built into Firefox goes........ on a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 2½.
                      Running FF 2.0? If not consider an upgrade. IE 7 goes a long way with adding tabbed browsing - it's about time.
                      “If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace” - Thomas Paine

Comment

Yup, I'm running FF 2.0, FF didn't have a spell checker until 2.0. IE liked FF's tabbed brownsing so much they tried to copy it. I prefer the way FF loads their taps over the way IE does it.
                        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have a similar problem with my compound 12" Porter Cable. The small pieces seem to get in the way and BANG!!! off they go. Seems to be the nature of the beast to some degree.

BTW......Howdy from another Phoenician!!!
                          Mark
                          Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Re: Miter Saw Ciuts

Hippie68hrw. The difference between your first post and your second is amazing. I think you should stop and read them both again and note the difference. No matter what our level of education is, our words reflect upon us in a positive or negative manner. Congratulations on the correction. You would never know that they came from the same person. The corrections that were posted were very informative. Hope you are successful in your woodworking. kioti

Comment

Working...
                            X