X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• band saw info

Newbie here and enjoying the comraderie of this forum .I want to purchase a band saw. I started making cat condos and small dog houses to supplement my income. At a later date I might expand my projects and start a little business. Would like to know your opinions and advise on what type of bandsaw I should purchase? Money is a concern but I do not mind spending it for a good product.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

IMO, and remember that it's worth what you paid for it, the weakest link in the RIDGID product line is their bandsaw. If you utilize the search feature at the top of the page you'll find many threads dealing with this subject. Basically my feeling is that it's underpowered, requires excessive tweaking to get it setup properly and the lack of an included fence and quick blade tensioner make it overpriced. For around $100 more saws like the Grizzly G0555 offer better value and features.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I 2nd BD's opinion. Although I current own a bench top BS I got for free from a neighbor a few years ago, I will most likely lean towards a Grizzly or possibly a Delta in the future when my shop comes together.
      Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

I totally agree with Badger Dave. Although there are some who are quite happy with their Ridgid bandsaws, I think most of the comments that you will read are either negative or expand on the number of steps it took to get the tool to perform properly.

The Grizzly model that BD referred to has received some very positive comments on the few forums that I visit. Also you might want to check out the Craftsman 14-inch bandsaw that is made by Rikon. It is built very well and has some excellent features. I believe it to be slightly higher in price than the Grizzly, but it does go on sale quite often.

However, IMHO, I think you should do some reading (if you haven't already) and get a good idea of the challenges, advantages and key features of bandsaws in general. That way, you'll know what to look for in size and features that would better fit with your projects. The library might be helpful, or check out your local bookstore.

CWS

Comment

If you're wanting something in the Ridgid price range, yes, the Griz is probably the way to go. I've seen lotsa discussions on BS lately on other forums and I think if you're gonna spend $700 or more, may as well go to a bigger machine, like a 16-18".

I'm quite happy with my Ridgid, but then I got it in the great grey closeout for $150.

14" BSes are like a debutante girlfriend, high maintenance and you have to give them presents often like new blades, refaced guide blocks (or expensive ball bearing guides).

Comment

Why a BS? From the dog houses I've seen you'd be better off with a Tablesaw and a jigsaw.
            BTW, I have the old ridgid BS and my only complaint is it's underpowered. I've used 1hp BSaws and find them underpowered also.
            The only things I use my BS for are resawing and rounding stock to be turned on a lathe. Unless you are going to do alot of curves I dont see why you would need a BS for a doghouse. And if you are going to do alot of curves I would highly recommend a BS with some serious hp, 1hp will frustrate you, it will be slow going.
            www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Is the Craftsman 14" BS made by Rikon or a Steel City/Orion design?

I see the Craftsman 22401 14" BS is now priced at $449. If you are a Craftsman Club member I think you can get 10% off every power tool that is not on sale this weekend (I tossed the circular already so can't go back and look).
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I recall reading a review that said it was a Rikon which is slightly modified to meet Craftsman specs. (Now if only I could remember where that review was. )The regular Rikon 14-inch has slightly less resaw capacity, while the Craftsman is reportedly eight inches. Rikon does have a new "deluxe" 14-inch which sports several new features like more HP, 12-inch resaw, quick tension relief, etc.

CWS

Comment

Yeah, the Rikon 10-325 (Deluxe model) has CI wheels, large CI Table, two speeds, 4" dust port, enclosed stand, quick tension release, blade tracking window, 13" resaw, 1-1/2 HP motor, fence w/blade drift adjustment included, and a number of other features. It's really a shame they didn't turn this model into a 16 incher, then you could run 1" carbide blades, a 14" wheel is a little too tight a radius for those blades from what I have been told and read.

I hope to get a good eyeball on one tomorrow at the show in Baltimore, and compare it to the other offerings there.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  ---------
                  ---------

Comment

Well, there was no Rikon equipment on display at the show, so I stopped in at my Woodcraft to see what I could see. For the money ($749.00) the Rikon 10-325 14" Deluxe BS is a good deal. I looked at Jet, Delta, General, Powermatic, and others at the show and in the Woodcraft store. The Rikon had the best mix of features so I ordered one. I picked it up this past weekend and got it together. Haven't done much with it yet and it still has the stock blade in it but it way more powerful than my old Craftsman 12" 1/2 HP BS which I have used for the past 24 years. Not that the Craftsman is going anywhere, I plan to keep it and mount a 1/4 or 1/8" blade in it and continue using it. The Rikon I will use for resawing and other heavy duty chores.

One things I can see the Rikon needs to improve is the dust collection from under the table. There is only one 4" dust port which is mounted down low in the lower wheel cabinet. After resawing a couple 6" W x 36" long boards there was close to nothing in the way of sawdust inside the saw, and not because it was not being picked up, it just does that good at collecting all the sawdust inside the cabinet. Some sawdust however does not pass through from the table top to the lower cabinet and as it falls through the table insert it is deflected by the guide wheels and other hardware and falls to the floor or on the outside of the cabinet. Most of the dust goes inside, but enough lands outside that it will require cleanup from time to time. It's still less than my 12" BS would spill out though.

The light could have been mounted a couple inches higher on the frame, or the gooseneck could have been a couple inches longer. It seems like it is looking from the side at the work instead of from above.

I had no trouble putting it together. I didn't rush through it and get it completed in a couple hours, but it was no trouble. Even lifting the 270# saw (which arrives in one piece) up 20" onto the base cabinet was not a problem, ya just got to know how to do it. The parts were not packed as neatly as RIDGID does their small parts and bolting material, and the manual was lacking in some areas. It made the quality of the RIDGID TS-3650 manual look great to tell you the truth.

We'll see what the next few days brings as I get a chance to use it. Kinda busy at work right now and have a few things going on in the evenings for the next week or so, but I will report back on my findings.

Oh the nickle test, no problemo... Start/Run/Stop all w/o knocking it over.
                    Hey guess what, the tires didn't even fall off!
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 01-16-2011, 12:57 PM. Reason: fixed some spelling errors
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

Working...
                    X