X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the sparks normal?

Just purchased a Ridgid 24V Lithium Hammer drill and am noticing sparks within the motor housing. Is this normal? The sparks seem to be contained within the casing but I have noticed a couple shooting out. I'm just wondering if I should exchange for another.

Thanx

it's okay.

When I got my first cordless I saw the same thing and kinda freaked, but my foreman told me it was just the brand new brushes and not to worry. The drill lasted over 5 years of daily use, so I can't vouch for his explaination, but he was right when he told me not to worry. My subsequent drill/driver did the same and has lasted nearly as long as well. (both dewalt BTW)
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

The carbon motor brushes need to seat. This is part of breaking in a new tool. I've found that running the tool under no load a few minutes can really help with this and especially at about 1/2 speed. Normally the sparking pretty much goes away in 5 minutes or less. If not, you may need to have a repair tech check out your tool.

Comment

Sparks

Are the sparks coming out when you release the trigger? If so, this is normal because the drill has a brake in it. The switch applys current in the opposite direction for a split second and that usually causes a spark from the brushes. If it is during general running as previously stated the carbons need to seat themselves.

Wouldn't worry about it.

Hope this helps
        CoMax Tools
        Authorized Ridgid Service Center

Comment

Yep normal on new tools for their break in period. If you get sparks on an old tool it's time to consider replaceing the brushes.

Comment

I just got one of these drills and it says in the manual that this is a normal part of the operation of the drill. It has to do with the brake. It is on page 19 bottom right under "NOTE:"

Comment

Working...
            X