X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throat Plate Threads Messed Up

I'm not sure exactly how I did it but I guess it doesn't really matter but somehow I've managed to mess up the threads that the bolt screws into that holds down the throat plate on my TS.

I'm looking for some ideas on how I can fix this. I don't do much work with metal but my guess is some type of tapping will be involved. Any helpful hints will be greatly appreciated.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Badger Dave,

I don't have a 3650, so don't know how how small or deep these threaded holes are. But, can you just clean them up with a tap? If not, can you step up to the next thread size? My first thought was a helicoil, or a tapped insert, but I don't think they make anything that small. Hopefully you'll get a machinist who will jump in here with a good fix.

Just a thought,

CWS

Comment

I would try to run a tap of the same size through it first. If you look at the online manauel it will give you the screw size.
      SSG, U.S. Army
      Retired
      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

BD, If you know an auto mech, he probably has what is called a thread chaser that will do the trick. HTH
        Jim

Comment

Dave, take the screw to Home Depot and look in the drawer section of hardware. They have thread inserts. match the size for your screw and buy one of the inserts and a bolt and flat washer to fit it also. Drill out the threaded hole to the outside diameter of the insert. Put the insert in the hole and run the bolt and washer down on it. This will "set" the insert into the table. remove bolt and washer and you will have brand new threads to fit the original size screw for your inserts. If you can't find what i am talking about, get the screw size and let me know, i will send you what you need.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I'm pretty sure its a 10-32 on my 3650
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

The screw size is 10-32. I'll make a run to HD tomorrow and see if they have one of those threaded inserts that Dan was talking about.

BIL brought over his tap and die set tonight but the original threads were too far gone to save.

Comment

For a 10-32 you will probably drill out the hole to 1/4". the insert will lock in and leave a new 10-32threaded hole. If you don't find them, just let me know. I have that size in the shop already. Glad it's not metric, would probably have to order them. LOL Isn't your saw a 2424?
                info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Dan wrote: "Glad it's not metric, "

It wouldn't matter would it? He could go to a 10-32 screw if the threads are so far gone that they can not be saved.

I feel for Dave, cause I worry about this happening to me. I think having to thread that screw in/out every time is a poor design.

Hello RIDGID, anybody from R&D in the audience? How about a better (as in NO TOOLS REQUIRED) mechanism to lock the throat plate in the table? I can think of two different designs already. Both would be as secure as the current design. This would be a big selling point.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

as a side note would this small repair void the llsa? if not then you are good to go i guess
                    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      Dan wrote: "Glad it's not metric, "

It wouldn't matter would it? He could go to a 10-32 screw if the threads are so far gone that they can not be saved.

I feel for Dave, cause I worry about this happening to me. I think having to thread that screw in/out every time is a poor design.

Hello RIDGID, anybody from R&D in the audience? How about a better (as in NO TOOLS REQUIRED) mechanism to lock the throat plate in the table? I can think of two different designs already. Both would be as secure as the current design. This would be a big selling point.

Well just tighten them carefully then, or you can replace them with nylon screws perhaps...

Comment

OSC, No, a repair of this type would not void any kind of warrenty. Dave has an older model saw (2424-3612) that is covered by the lifetime warrenty. They would not replace his tabletop for a problem like this, they would repair it in a similar manner. A note to those thinking about tapping out to a larger size screw, A bigger screw would have a bigger head and would probably cause a problem with seating below the top surface.
                        Last edited by papadan; 01-04-2007, 06:56 AM.

Comment

FWIW, my saw is a 3612 and was grandfathered into the LLSA. When I purchased it, the standard warranty at the time was a Lifetime Warranty against manufacturers defects. I can see no reason why that would have changed so I actually have the best of both.

I appreciate all the suggestions you guys have given me.

I'm hoping that the insert idea will work out. I'm a little concerned, don't know if I should be or not, that the shelf that the insert sits on and where the threads are is only 1/4" thick. I hope there's enough meat there for the insert to grab onto.

Comment

Couple more thoughts, 1 some table saws don't even use a screw to hold the plate down, 2 you could braze the hole shut and redrill and tap it.
                            SSG, U.S. Army
                            Retired
                            K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

FWIW Department:
                              I tried cleaning up the threads by running a tap through the damaged threads but unfortunately the threads were too messed up to be saved.

I did manage to solve my problem although I did have to drill out and enlarge the threaded hole in my saws throat. Papadan suggested I try these aluminum inserts. Probably a lot of you are familiar with these but I'd never heard of them before.

They make a special tool to install these but I was able to install one without the tool. What I did was drop the insert,collar up, into the newly enlarged hole. Next, I started threading the bolt into the the insert until I had enough threads coming out of the bottom of the insert to screw on a nut. Finally I just secured the nut with a box wrench and tightened the bolt until the insert seated itself. Pretty slick and the whole operation took less than 5 minutes.

I also think that I may have figured out how I damaged the threads in the first place. I have been using my cordless drill/driver to remove and install the screw when I change blades. I'm guessing that on one or more occasions I probably over tightened the bolt while screwing it back in. I'll be using an old fashioned hand operated screwdriver from now on.

Last but certainly not least, thanks much papadan for the, as usual, excellent advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X