X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Angle Impact Driver

I've been enamoured of the right angle driver since I thought of how much time it would have saved me on working on my cars (for the smaller but stubborn and less accessable nuts and bolts) and how much I hate reaming out screw heads. So, I just picked one up at HD a couple of days ago. While I haven't been able to put it through any real work, I was surprised at how loud it is--making a loud clicking/grinding noise whenever the trigger is pulled.

For those of you that have used or considered this driver...

- Does this noise sound normal?
    - How useful is the right angle compared to a standard driver? (i.e., has the right angle ever been invaluable?)
    - If the right angle turned out to be gimmicky, would you rather have a Ryobi driver since the Ridgid driver isn't sold separately?

Thanks for any thoughts you can provide. I need to register a bunch of tools and I'd like to decide if this is a keeper before I rip the UPC off the box.

C

Originally posted by Cike View Post
    I've been enamoured of the right angle driver since I thought of how much time it would have saved me on working on my cars (for the smaller but stubborn and less accessable nuts and bolts) and how much I hate reaming out screw heads. So, I just picked one up at HD a couple of days ago. While I haven't been able to put it through any real work, I was surprised at how loud it is--making a loud clicking/grinding noise whenever the trigger is pulled.

For those of you that have used or considered this driver...

- Does this noise sound normal?
    - How useful is the right angle compared to a standard driver? (i.e., has the right angle ever been invaluable?)
    - If the right angle turned out to be gimmicky, would you rather have a Ryobi driver since the Ridgid driver isn't sold separately?

Thanks for any thoughts you can provide. I need to register a bunch of tools and I'd like to decide if this is a keeper before I rip the UPC off the box.

C

I own the Ridgid R.A.D.

- Does this noise sound normal? "The sound I get is a loud clicking noise,
    this is normal for most Impact drivers"

" For those tight spots that a regular driver cannot drive, I grab the Ridgid R.A.D. for a smaller application I have the I-driver by Bosch"

"I've owned the Ryobi R.A.D. and sold it, the Ridgid is better, of course the Ryobi has a regular chuck that can accept drill bits, where the Ridgid only accepts bits with the 1/4" shank" "The Ryobi is not an impact driver, a drill it is"

I bought the Ridigd R.A.D. because on a job, I placed a stringer too low, that supports one side of a bath tub, I just had to nudge the tub off the stringer and was able to drill new pilot holes then drove cement screws into the stringer and into the brick wall, for that one reason, I decided to keep the Ridgid, R.A.D. since then I use it maybe 2-3 times a month for odd jobs.
    Last edited by jaco; 01-05-2007, 12:16 AM.

Comment

I also have the Ridgid 12 volt right angle impact driver, and it is one of the handiest cordless tools I've purchased. It's been real handy many times in tight spots. I've even used it with a short 1" paddle bit to drill 2x4's in tight walls for running cables and copper pipes. The only negative thing I can think of is that the battery life sucks monkey balls...
      Last edited by Newman; 01-05-2007, 01:09 AM.

Comment

ridgid right angle inpact driver

Hello, I bought a 12 volt right angle inpact about 6 months ago for getting into tight spaces and I must say it works well and would call it a good investment in your tool inventory. I also have a Ryobi 18 volt inpact and I have to say that I use it more than any other tool. I bought it when it first came out, I just to try it,( I have a Mac 1/4 in drive butterfly air impact wrench that I have had for 14 years and its handy for engine work on valve covers, oil pans, trannsmission valve bodies, ect.) and I just love it, it makes driving drywall screws a breeze no matter how big they are or how hard the wood is. I let one of the a/c installers use it for a day and he loved it so much he bought one that night and said he would never drive another screw with his Ryobi drill again. I sure hope Ridgid comes out with a Max Select inpact wrenchs both small 1/4in drive and big 1/2in drive and also a right angle grinder. Come on Ridgid, YOU CAN DO IT!!!
        Last edited by Steve Klyce; 01-13-2007, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Steve and others

If you're into air powered tools, you might like to prowl this site some. While they have a few corded electric tools, they are mostly into air powered tools. If you click the link catalogs and download their industrial line catalog, I bet you'll have fun looking over some of thei wilder products. Please read the bottom of their home page for some info about them.

Note: Their two main catalogs are pretty big .PDF files and take time to either load for viewing or do download to your hard disk drive. Allow time depending on your connection speed.

http://www.siouxtools.com/
          http://www.siouxtools.com/pdfs/IndustrialCat.pdf

Happy web surfing

Comment

I am a big fan of the 12volt right angle impact. I probably use it as much as my regular drill/driver.

I have the 1/2" 12volt drill/driver with 4 MAX HD batteries. I like that the batteries can be used by both tools, and my right angle impact seems to run forever on the MAX batteries (for example, I drove over 100 2-1/4" tapcons last Saturday night on the same battery I used today to drive about 20 2-1/2" drywall screws.

dp

Comment

Working...
            X