X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12" sliding miter saw

I just bought a 12" inch sliding miter saw and I love the saw but I cant get the disc laser that came with it to work. I installed it like the manual said. I am wondering if anyone can help me. Maybe I just need new batteries but the saw is brand new. Thanks for any help.

The laser disc laser uses a centrifigal switch. There isn't really a wrong way to intstall it except for upside down but it would still turn on. There are no internal parts for it including the batteries. If it is not working you need to replace it.

Comment

Thanks Texan but the laser I have does have batteries according to the manual. It says you have to replace them when they die. The saw and laser are brand new so I hope I dont have to replace anything except maybe batteries.

Comment

The saw may be new but the batteries may have packaged over six months ago.

I know that some of my accessories powered by those small button batteries seem to expire just as fast sitting on the shelf as they do when in use. The devices they are used with consume such little power that the battery will discharge almost as fast just sitting as when in use. Many such components like the Wixey digital angle gauge I just received for Christmas come with a spare battery because of this.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I would second Bob's opinion. Maybe try changing the battery first. Probably be faster and easier than taking to a Ridgid service center, although they may let you just take the laser washer in. My first miter saw was a 10" Ryobi with a laser washer. Bought it a few years ago (before I realized I was gonna get more serious about woodworking) and although I never use it, it is on the saw and still works now after many hours of use. It also has a button battery in it.
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

As I recall, my 10-inch Ridgid CMS with the arbor mounted laser, used three button batteries. While I didn't have to do anything except install the thing on the saw, I think you should check the batteries. If the thing got bumped around, the batteries could possibly be loosened.

On some button battery electronic products, the mfg, places a small mylar insert to insulate the batteries from the contacts. I don't remember this being the case with the laser, but it's worth checking.

As previously stated, the laser will not operate unless it is rotating with the saw blade.

CWS
            Last edited by CWSmith; 01-05-2007, 08:21 PM.

Comment

The batteries that came with the laser disc on my CMS last about 6 months before they died. I replaced them and the replacements are still going strong 3 years later. I agree with those that said the batteries probably just lost their charge sitting on a shelf somewhere waiting for you to buy the saw.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys. I am going to try and find some batteries tonight and I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for all the responses.

Comment

I bought the batteries for my laser at Walgreens.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have had trouble with Radio Shack CR2025 and CR2032 Lithium cells over the past 18 months or so. They were DOA (several and from more than one store) when opened. I won't buy them anymore and go for Duracell or Energizer. Improper storage in their warehouses/stores has much to do with this, I'm, sure.

Comment

day light problems (laser)

I've had my 12" Ridgid double compound miter for a year now, never had battery problems. My biggest problem is I can never see the dang light when I.m outside, when I put it in my shop never have any problems not seeing the light. However its nowhere near my markings (about 3/32" off) so I've never ever gone by my laser. I have talked to customer service about my laser being that far off, she told me there's nothing they can do about it, unless its more than 1'8" off. So I live with it no big deal my eyes are still good enough. Yes I know I can go buy a decent laser, but when you spend $800.00 for a chop saw (with the work stand) you shouldn't have to buy a new laser, hard headed I am.
                      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

You solution is to revisit the laser and verify your previous offset. I seem to think it might be 1/8" after all. It might be that you rule is off by a 1/32...maybe 2/32. You should call them back after you verified your previous readings with a more accurate rule and ask what they can do now that the error is greater than 1/8"
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Ya Bob D. I do believe your correct with your answer, it had to be my ruler, must of used a lufkin, how the heck it got into my tool pouch is beyond me. One of those x-mas presents from the kids, so I'll try my good one and give ridgid another phone call and see what they got to say now. When a person spends that kind of $ everything should be in working order, I do believe its a 3yr warranty on the saw.
                          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Re: 12" sliding miter saw

Thanks for all the quick responses and help. I went and bought some new batteries and the laser works great. Hopefully I can do some fine tuning and get the laser where I want it. Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

Re: 12" sliding miter saw

I just bought a 1290LZ 12" Sliding Compound Miter saw and installed the LASER sight. The allen wrench provided worked just fine on the standard arbor. It is a 6.5mm or a ¼" (1/4") allen wrench.

However, the laser arbor has a separate flat head socket cap screw that uses a 6mm allen wrench, which was not provided. When I contacted the service department they agreed to send me a new arbor screw in hopes that it will have the same 6.5mm socket as the regular arbor. The installation instructions say it should be the same.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Comment

Working...
                              X