X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karcher Pressure Washer

I have an opportunity to pick-up a Karcher G2500PH pressure washer for what I think is a good price. It has a 5½ HP Honda OHC motor, 2500 PSI rating and can deliver 2.4 GPM. I'm not that familiar with the Karcher line of gas powered pressure washers and was wondering about their overall level of quality.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Hello, I used to work on pressure washers and may have some helpfull information for you. The Honda OHC is an aluminum bore engine rated for residental use. The pump depending on what type you have, could be a swashplate style pump with an aluminum crankcase and head with a built in unloader valve assembly and is considered non servicable and has a design life of 150 hours. You may get more or less depending how you take care of it. Then you have the commercial rated Cat pump that has an aluminum crankcase with drain plug and sight glass or dip stick and a brass cylinder block, ceramic plungers and brass cylinder head with replaceable stainless steel valves and valve cages and replaceable unloader valve with standard 3/8 or 1/2 inch pipe thread and is rated for 2000 hours or more between rebuilds. There is also General Pump, and an Italian Knockoff of the General Pump that is pretty good and used to be sold on the better quality pressure washers that Home Depot offered. The better pumps like these have three cylinders arranged in an inline configuration and are located in a perpendicular fashion in relation to the crankshafts eccentrics. If you are going to use this machine more than once a month to clean your drive way I would suggest a pressure washer with one of these better quality pumps and a commercial rated engine such as the Honda GX series or the Subaru-Robin commercial rated engine. Also if you want to extend your hose , it's much easier to have the commercial Quick connects rather than being stuck with the short cheap hose that does'nt have the fittings to simply add on more length if you need. I hope I have been of help. Thank you

Comment

BadgerDave

Is the honda engine a slant cylinder or a vertical cylinder model? The vertical cylinder engines (normally 5 or 6 HP) are their cheapo line. Most of their slant cylinder models are the commercial engines. I agree that there are many different pumps, some good and some real junk. Please try to get more info and post. Thanks and good luck

Comment

dave, having at least 8 pressure washers, jetters, i would stay away from this unit. steve has brought up some very good issues.

look at this company.they are the least expensive co. that i have found and offer every kind of pressure washer and jetter out there. the co. name is "water cannon".

steve, welcom to this forum. please contribute more as you have a very good knowledge of pressure washers. thanks.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Here is where you can find out more about Honda air cooled engines. I have one of the cheepo CG engines. They are OK for home use, but sure are nothing next to the GX series. The G2500PH is a model only for the home user. If the price really is right and it will just be used now and then, it might serve your needs. This machine sure is not for anyone that plans on heavy duty use.

Honda air cooled small engines: http://www.honda-engines.com/pro.htm

Karcher G2500PH: http://karcher-usa.com/showproducts....aram2=&param3=

Water Canon: http://www.1800333wash.com/

Landa, Inc. is a major USA based company making pressure washers, both hot and cold. As of today their web site is messed up, but that should be fixed soon. http://www.landa.com

Rick, Thanks for your posting. Water Canon has one interesting lineup of products.

Steve, Please come back and post more. It's guys like you that repair equipment that get to really know it. What's good and what's junk.
          Last edited by Woussko; 01-10-2007, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Klyce View Post
            ...... The pump depending on what type you have, could be a swashplate style pump with an aluminum crankcase and head with a built in unloader valve assembly and is considered non servicable and has a design life of 150 hours.
            Steve, thanks for the excellent response. Unfortunately, a lot of it went right over my head. This pressure washer comes equipped with a direct-drive axial pump with brass pump head, is this the same thing as a swashplate style pump?

I probably should have stated in my original post that this pressure washer will see fairly limited duty, I'm guessing 10-12 hours of run time a year at most. I do prefer most of the time to buy better quality tools but I really question whether or not I need a commercial grade pressure washer.

Comment

My brother has a Karcher unit. It sees fairly limited residential use and he has never had a problem with it in his 5 years of ownership. I have used it on occasion and while this model is somewhat limited in pressure variability, it provides satisfactory performance.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

The Krchar gh2500 uses the swash plate style pump, It is servicable and normally very economical to repair, The biggest reason for failure on the unit is almost always due to non use "not being used on a regular basis". The relief valve sticks. Karcher has gone to new grease and materials in the heads that is supposed to take care of the problem and seems to as I don't get many in with the new style head, I have very rarely seen a motor go bad on one, but my shop does not service motors in any case and I really couldn't answer inteligently about the motors. As far as a home use unit as long as you use it on a regular basis I think you will be satisfied.

Comment

I'll have to go with Texan on this. In Scandinavia & Europe, Kärcher is absolutely the one to go for. Of course they make different models for different uses, but I've never heard complaints on a Kärcher. Note:- They will freeze to death like any other pressure washer, so dont leave it outside in the frost, even though you "pumped it empty".

Comment

Pressure washer pump saver

This is a product that I recommend using before storing a pressure washer. It can get a little messy, so I recommend using it outside and also putting some newspapers under your pressure washer in in case some spills out during storage. Home Depot sells a similar version by DeWalt.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...56904-348-6039
                    Attached Files

Comment

Woussko, Twilight Zone time, I was just at the local farm supply store not more than a half hour ago and I saw that stuff there. I didn't have a lot time to read the can very thoroughly but I did notice it said to use before storing for the season and before startup in the spring. Why would you have to do both? Unless of course they're only trying to sell you twice as much of the stuff as you really need.

Comment

Hello, I have always used a 50/50 antifreeze mixture for preventing the pump from being damaged due to freezing. Just take an empty milk jug and fill it have full of antifreeze and fill the other half with water, mix it up and when you pump it into the unit until it comes out the spray nozzle (via the short piece of gardern hose with the engine running), you will know your protected to -34 degrees F. This also helps lubricate the pump when it's first started from extended winter storage, also it helps prevent the valves and relief valves from corroding and sticking. I have also found that if you have the valves stick from not being used and the unit is not pumping, I have found that 99% of the time you can easily free them by cranking up the unit with the discharge hose removed and applying water pressure into the pump inlet using city water. I had to do this the other day on a gravity fed 55 h.p. diesel jetting rig, it had been sitting about 3 months with plain water in it. I hope you find this info usefull, Thank you
                        Last edited by Steve Klyce; 01-11-2007, 06:50 PM. Reason: mispelled word

Comment

Dave

I think you have the idea about them wanting to sell more. To save some $$$ I like Steve's idea and also I have read about using the "pink stuff" antifreeze for RV water systems. I personally like the little pressurized cans with hose and fitting. (easier to use) With my pressure washer, I find that I only need about 1/2 a can. Before using it, I remove all hoses, pull starting rope a few times to spit out any water that will come out of the pump, and then use the protector.

Comment

Thanks again to all for the excellent advice and guidance. I went ahead and purchased the Karcher unit feeling confident that it will fine for the type of usage I plan to give it.

Comment

Working...
                            X