X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12" Sliding Compound Miter Saw Dust Bag

I just got this saw about a month ago, and I'm just really starting to use it on a new remodle job. I've only needed to cut 2x4 so far with the stock blade but the BIG PROBLEM is saw dust EVERYWHERE but in th bag anyone else have an opnion on this.

I love the saw and can't wait to change the blade and get into the finish work but this thing has so much dust outside and everywhere why did they even put one on it. Read the directions etc the bag IS installed correct, I turn the saw on and it blows up with air but no saw dust goes into it or I should say very little more out and everywhere than in the bag.

Thanks
    Dave

OK, can't be sure which saw you are bitching about because you did not provide the model or make, but it does not really matter because all miter saws suck at dust control. Those simple bags that the manufacturers include are pure window dressing and capture very little for most cases.

If you are taking your saw on the road so to speak there's not much you can do to control the sawdust. If you leave it in your shop setup in one place most of the time then you can rig something to catch 95% of the sawdust.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

It certainly doesn't totally eliminate the problem but try hooking up a shop vac to the sawdust port on the saw. As Bob said, those bags are worthless.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

BD has the right idea. I have an older Delta CMS but not a sliding one. With a little work using PVC pipe and fittings, I connected the hose of my shop vac to it. What a difference that made. Now I only get a little dust mess rather than a big one. I will add that you want to use a light weight 1-1/4" hose and one that flexes easy. I would really like to see a new design for a SCMS where it's made for connection to a hose in the base of the saw. Besides having suction in the blade guard, how about through the table slot as well?

Comment

"how about through the table slot as well?"

That would certaintly help. I wonderhow hard it wouldbe to backfit to an existing saw. My DW708 base is fairly well closed in, with only a roughly 1/2" gap around the perimeter (except for the feet) as I remember.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I'm thinking that if I buy a cheap used or defective miter saw that I might try getting inventive with the dust collection ideas. At worst I won't loose that much $ as long as I don't get crazy and cut some of me off. Normally if it's nice out, I just setup outside and let the wind help.

Comment

Sorry I have the Ridgid "MS1290LZ" 12" Sliding Compound. Anyone else have this saw with this same problem.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by dlp419 View Post
                .......Anyone else have this saw with this same problem.
                Dave, it's not a problem, it's the way it is.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Re: 12" Sliding Compound Miter Saw Dust Bag

I searched this forum because I have a real issue with the 1290 dust collection. Even with a dust collector hooked up, 90% of the sawdust never gets high enough to reach the port. It just sprays against the saw pivot and bounces all over the shop. I will probably try to re-engineer the dust collection on what is otherwise a wonderful saw.

Comment

This is a very good investment, when working in doors.....

http://www.fastcap.com/products.aspx?id=3802

Click the link above here.....
                    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

That is a nice bag garager but a little expensive for casual work. Would be great for a GC and for a finisher. I think though I'll ask for one for X-Mas from the wife even though I don't do that type of work anymore. Would just be nice to have and show off to a friend that always has to out do me when it comes to toys.

dlp, here is a site with some homemade collector
                      http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...ent_Forum.html

And here is a search I did on Google.
                      http://www.google.com/search?q=dust+...ient=firefox-a

Good luck

Comment

I had the same problems with CMS saw dust & chips. Aside from bouncing everywhere I had piles behind the bench. So I created a sawdust containment area.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by JJCiesla; 07-11-2008, 01:26 AM.
                        Jim

Comment

Here's the rest.
                          Attached Files
                          Jim

Comment

Working...
                          X