reciprocating saws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reciprocating saws

I'm in the market for a reciprocating saw. How important is "Orbital Cut", and can anyone guide me as to what SPM and stroke length is ideal? I'll be using this for the "occasional" demo.
    HD has the PC tigersaw 9747 for $99.00?
    Your thoughts and input greatly appriciated.

Milwaukee is still the king of reciprocating saws as far as I'm concerned but for your usage may be overkill. As you said you only plan to use this saw for occasional use, I wouldn't be concerned at all about "Orbital Cut" or SPM. That PC you referenced will serve you well and won't break the bank either.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Thanks BD I figured for my limited use the price was ok. Rigid's was 89.00 but the PC had a few more b and w.

Comment

You might want to take a quick look here. http://www.powertoolservices.com/sawzalls.htm

These are factory reconditioned and many are simply display models or where one got returned with very little use. Having bought a few power tools from this site, they were direct shipped from Milwaukee to me. All are branded as recond tools and have special markings as to which tech checked them out. This is just an idea, but it's a way to get a true Sawzall for a little less than a new one. The web site is for a tool repair shop so you might want to give them a call for suggestions and such. Good luck and I agree with B D that for home use they are overkill, but then why not have a great tool? This is where it's good to try to find, see and hold the models you're thinking about.

Comment

Ooooooooohh. I like that price on the reconditioned Milwaukee 6509-22 that Waussko provided the link too. If the freight charge isn't obnoxiously high definitely consider getting that one.
          ================================================== ====
          ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Shipping by FedEx ground or UPS ground (depends on where it comes from) is $10 for most of the Sawzalls. Please take a look at their home page for other deals on Reconditioned Milwaukee tools. If you call them, they have lots of Milwaukee accessories, but I have yet to check prices on them. Now here is something else to think about. NO SALES TAX unless you're in the same state which I doubt you are.

www.powertoolservices.com

FYI: The 6509 comes with a small 'sample pack" of blades. I think it may include a plastic case, but they don't say it does. If it doesn't rather than spend big $$$ on a custom made steel case, home users can just find a long tool box to keep it in. Sometimes service centers or pawn shops have used cases cheap.

I grabbed up this deal some time back http://www.powertoolservices.com/Tools/3107-6.htm (If anyone wants a nice D handle drill with right angle head, this is a nice deal.) This one has the nice goodies like the Quik-Lok removable cord, variable speed and such.

Be sure to read what's here too. http://www.powertoolservices.com/reconfaq.htm
            Last edited by Woussko; 01-16-2007, 05:15 PM.

Comment

The Junior Sawzall

While I doubt the price of one of these will get everyone wanting to buy one, this is a very handy junior version of a Milwaukee Sawzall. It will go places the full size ones can't. A friend has one and really likes it, but both of us feel it's not near as heavy duty a tool as it's big brothers are. For home use it should serve you for a good long time. I haven't priced them so I'm not sure about how much to sell for.

http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba...178_189346_362

Update: The Hatchet Sawzall is not cheap, but some people may not mind that considdering the size and weight of one.
              http://www.powertoolservices.com/Tools/6524-21.htm Shipping is $10 for 48 main states of USA

Check other tool dealers too as one just may have some special deals. Also check your local pawn shops and auctions. Every now and then they get in brand new or very close to new tools for sale. It's all about being in the right place at the right time. Good luck finding some super buys.
              Last edited by Woussko; 01-16-2007, 05:17 PM.

Comment

I bought a 1 3/4 inch rotary hammer from this site a couple of years ago. It came in like new condition--no scuffs or signs of use. It has only seen moderate action (mostly as a chipping hammer), but I've never had a problem with it. I would buy from them again.

Comment

One thing to consider is if you want to use the saw just to rip through stuff or you might be using it for more controled demo sometimes too. The longer stroke length can make it hard to start careful plunge cuts or for when you have to get in close to something you don't want ruint. I had a tiger and a bosch and a dewalt. The bosch was junk. I used the tiger the most and liked it, though like the others said, the sawzall is king for certain.
                  A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Re: reciprocating saws

My bad, it wasn't a bosch it was a makita. (I remembered the color right I guess)
                    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                      Ooooooooohh. I like that price on the reconditioned Milwaukee 6509-22 that Waussko provided the link too. If the freight charge isn't obnoxiously high definitely consider getting that one.
                      you can always find new tools for the same price as reconditioned. imo, reconditioned aren't discounted enough.

$99.95 + $6.95shipping
                      http://www.tylertool.com/mi6510ampsar.html

Comment

CMW

Nice price there on on the Milwaukee 6509. With that deal buy a nice new one and save some $$$.

Take a look here. http://www.tylertool.com/mi65re10amps.html Tyler Tool has the same model but reconditioned for more $$$ than a brand new one during their sale on them.
                        Last edited by Woussko; 01-25-2007, 09:45 PM.

Comment

here's one for $94.24 delivered (sales tax to NJ only)

use coupon code "DOUBLE"

http://www.homeclick.com/showpage.asp?itemid=290054

Comment

Keep an eye on Ebay, I've purchased a bunch of tools for myself and others from there, and saved a bunch as compared to most of the prices I've seen posted.

As for recip saws, personally I've had the best luck with Milwaukee and Porter Cable.

Comment

Let's hope that Leonard found a good deal on a nice reciprocating saw by now and is happy sawing away with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X