X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• makita LI 18v 6 tool combo--$599

I went to costco yesterday afternoon. Number one I'd like to report (or at least type here to remind myself) that going to costco on sunday is a bone-head play. Number two I saw the 6-tool 18v LI combo from makita for $599. I almost convinced myself to get it but I would have been doubling up on too many things right now. That is no reason you shouldn't though....
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Cant Beat Li Technology!!!

Almost bought that makita set but didnt want to double up on two many tools myself. youll sell your others once youve tried LI technology. I saw that same kit myself and it provoked me to buy a new LI set (panasonic). they are the best tools ive bought. bateries are light and last forever!

Comment

Re: makita LI 18v 6 tool combo--$599

the costco in lonetree, colorado has a 18v Li-Ion (3ah) kit that includes:

1/2" drill;
      6.5" circular saw;
      reciprocating saw;
      flashlight;
      angle grinder;
      jobsite radio;
      impact driver;
      2 batteries;
      charger; and,
      rolling bag with telescoping handle.

All for $659. Seems like a pretty decent combo and price.

this is the link from makita

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...det&tag=LXT700
      Last edited by funkymonkey1111; 10-27-2007, 11:41 AM.

Comment

I like the tools in this combo and the lithium 3.0 AH's are a strong plus, however I don't like the one year warranty on the batteries. You'd think after spending almost $700.00 they would give you three years? Right now you don't have a good alternative other than Dewalt if you want those tools, lithium batteries and radio. The angle grinder is a handy tool but Ridgid doesn't make one, or the higher AH 18 volt lithiums. If I did not absolutely have to buy a new set of cordless tools, I would wait a little longer to see what comes out in the next three or so months. I don't know how Ridgid can afford to offer the LTW on something like the batteries anyway? You know the batteries whether they are nicads or lithiums will fail eventually!

Comment

I recall someone reporting, in this forum, the Makita reciprocating saw was a significant step down, in power, from those offered by the competition. The circular saw was also criticized.

It gets mostly glowing reviews at Amazon except that I'm starting to see failed Lithium Ion battery reports coming in. This isn't the first place I've seen them posted. This is very concerning since the batteries are expensive and only have a one year warranty.

Here is one in depth review from a long time user:

"I bought this set about a year ago and have been working every single one of the tools quite hard so I feel comfortable giving a more in depth review of how these tools have performed. I have used almost every other 18v kit out there. The last 18v kit I had was a Dewalt XRP before going with Makita LXT tools and that's what I'll mainly compare it to.

The impact driver is pure perfection. It is the reference for impact driver design everyone else should follow. Functionally I've never seen an impact driver that performs bad, they are simple tools that just do their job well. Where the Makita stands out is in its ultra light weight and super compact design and balance. At 3.3lbs and 5 3/4" long you'll have a hard time going to other chunky impact drivers again. I think its almost impossible to drain the batteries on the impact driver. Your arm will probably fall of from fatigue first.

The drill is one of the better 18v drills out there and has many advantages but also some rather notable drawbacks. The battery life is outstanding. Its really light and superbly balanced. With lots of torque. The problem with the drill is the very high torque gears are too slow. Its rated at 560in-lbs but it does so at 300rpm. Its kind of misleading because even the crappiest drill can do 560 in-lbs if you gear it slow enough. It will work REALLY slow if you need to move large stuff like hole saws. For reference the Dewalt DC925 will do about the same torque at 450rpm. The middle gear is also a rather useless 600rpm. Not enough torque to really move large bits but also not fast enough to be of any real use other than maybe driving some screws. The hammerdrill function is the drills biggest weakness. It will not go into anything much harder than block or brick. Forget poured concrete. Or really old and very well cured concrete of any kind. In contrast my Dewalt DC925 will blow it out of the water in overall performance and especially in concrete drilling.

The circular saw is very handy. Its comparable to most 18v circular saws. That means don't expect it to replace your corded saw but it will cut through full 2X lumber quite well and fast. Just make sure the blade doesn't pinch or it will bind. It brings one of the better cutting 24t ultra thin kerf blades I've tried. Leaves surprisingly clean cuts compared to other cordless 6 1/2" blades which tear out something awful. The saw is ultra light and compact which makes it extremely handy to use as a trimsaw or for one handed operation. I always keep it around handy to make quick cuts. The LED light is particularly useful in this saw. Battery life is also very respectable.

The reciprocating saw is a piece of junk. Sorry but the saw just has no redeeming qualities. NONE. There is unfortunately no other way to describe it. Its large, heavy and underpowered. For reference, its taller and longer, and weighs the same as Dewalts 36v saw! Whatever happened to lightness and compactness on these tools? To make matters worse, it is seriously underpowered. It binds quite easily and you can feel it really bog down doing something as simple as cutting pressure treated 2X4. Battery life is also extremely poor. I found it to be the same or worse than the average NiCD saw. Ergonomically its a poor design with a thick and squarish throat which is unconfortable to hold. The old Dewalt 385 it replaced was a superior saw in every respect. It had serious power and better size and battery life. The blade release of the LXT saw is pretty nifty in the it spits out the blade but can be hard to reach if its not fully extended. You might need to cycle the saw a couple of times to get the release know far out enough. The double finger trigger I found to be a poorly thought out idea. Two finger triggers are just not necessary on reciprocating saws. Its hard to carry the saw on the handle without having it go off. Got to keep your mind on setting the safety on or carry it only with the two bottom fingers which is uncomfortable.

The angle grinder. I kept my expectations realistic on this tool. An 18v grinder, like the circular saw, is not quite a replacement for the corded tool. It binds and stops easily. Thats not necessarily a huge problem. An 18v tool of this kind will never be able to do much better. It has a simple ingenious system that warns you when the tool is about to overload and shuts it down if it binds before the motor burns out. That said, if used with some finnese the tool will get the job done quite well and comes in quite handy. Its very useful for cutting tubing, rebar, bolts and the like when you just don't want to lug around a corded gringer.

The flashlite, is well, a flashlight. Its bright and its handy. What else can I say.

The bottom line is this is a well designed group but makes some sacrifices to achieve its lightness and compactness. It comes at the expense of performance and power. The heavy duty 18v groups from other brands, while heavier, and possibly not as much runtime will usually ouperform the LXT tools in raw power. If I had to do it again, other than the impact driver and perhaps the circular saw, I would have held on to the Dewalt 18v XRP toolset which is overall a substantially superior performer. The LXT battery life, while better on some tools (and not very good on some) is not THAT much better. Maybe 20% and at most 30% better than NiCD."

and

"So I was excited to use my new li ion kit but i've been somewhat disappointed with it. drill and cir saw are great but....using the sawsall I was cutting a shower in half(fiberglass) and 3 minutes later the thing is smoking!!! not sure if this is normal but certainly stinks. my dewalt never did this just ran out of batteries. The sawsall heats up really really fast and burns through batteries like no tomorrow, i probably have a defect."

and

"Only 4 months old and the hammer drill is in for repairs along with a dead battery! For $700 I expect more. I barely even used the hammerdrill. The impact gun is nice and lite with plenty of power, but it goes into the impact chatter a bit too soon for some heavier light gauge framing. Overall i'm not too happy with this set."

Comment

I would give the Makita LXT set a much better review than above, but I may not be using them as hard. I bought mine nearly 2 years ago, just after Thanksgiving. It was a 4 peice kit then (Hammer drill, Impact driver, Circular saw and Flashlight, the Sawsall was offered as a mail-in "free bonus") It sold for $629 at that time. Home Depot put it on sale just 2 weeks later at a 20% discount.....Yes! they gave me the difference in cash after showing them the reciept.
            Back to the tools:
            Agreed, the Impact driver is by far the best piece in the set. It is the best balanced and smallest I have seen/used. It will all but replace the need for a right-angle drill/driver, yet is still strong enough to drive anything I have ever tried.
            The 1/2" Hammer drill is more than adequate for most jobs that you would need in average use. It probably wouldn't stand-up to everyday contractor/construction site use though. I use mine for the the occasional mounting to a block wall or for attaching island or bar walls to poured floors. I have never had problems drilling into poured concrete, it may be a bit issue though. The only critisizm I have is in the bit holder on the handle. If you drill into a floor, the screw driver bits in the handle clip will fall out becasue the stop is in the rear. Maybe turning it 180 degrees would solve this? How often do you hammer drill up? I use mine for holesaws,forstner bits and Kreg jig bits more than anything else. If I had a lot of holes or bigger holes to drill in concrete, I would get out the corded drill
            The 6 1/2" Circular saw is very nice also, though I was not as impressed with the blade as Disaster (previous poster) was. I bought a wider kerf FS Tool blade for mine. It takes more power to turn of course, but it is much stiffer and gives a much cleaner cut in finer materials. Again, I am not using it for framing/construction, mine is used in a cabinet shop.
            The Flashlight, as stated, is just that.......a light. It works fine, is easy to aim and lasts quite a while. What else can you say?
            Thw sawsall came to me several months later, February, I think. Again, it's more of a construction/demo tool....not to say that I haven't used it. My used has been limited though. As Disaster said, it is thick and bulky, but the quick/cordless factor is handy. I have a coreded saw if I need to be that serious. I wouldn't have bought it as a stand-alone unit, it came with the set.

The thing I am really after, for the quick/handy factor is a Jigsaw for this system. I expected one to be offered much sooner. It has been 2 years. I know that they are being advertised now, but none are available locally. I would really like to see/touch one before laying out that much money, plus I have always had better warranty service with a person you can see, rather than hundreds of miles away over the phone/internet.

Overall, a good, powerful, long lasting set for a wood worker, cabinetmaker. They are probably a bit of overkill for a homeowner as far as price, but the battery's charge holding ability is great for someone that doesn't use it every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
              I recall someone reporting, in this forum, the Makita reciprocating saw was a significant step down, in power, from those offered by the competition. The circular saw was also criticized.

It gets mostly glowing reviews at Amazon except that I'm starting to see failed Lithium Ion battery reports coming in. This isn't the first place I've seen them posted. This is very concerning since the batteries are expensive and only have a one year warranty.

Here is one in depth review from a long time user:

"I bought this set about a year ago and have been working every single one of the tools quite hard so I feel comfortable giving a more in depth review of how these tools have performed. I have used almost every other 18v kit out there. The last 18v kit I had was a Dewalt XRP before going with Makita LXT tools and that's what I'll mainly compare it to.

The impact driver is pure perfection. It is the reference for impact driver design everyone else should follow. Functionally I've never seen an impact driver that performs bad, they are simple tools that just do their job well. Where the Makita stands out is in its ultra light weight and super compact design and balance. At 3.3lbs and 5 3/4" long you'll have a hard time going to other chunky impact drivers again. I think its almost impossible to drain the batteries on the impact driver. Your arm will probably fall of from fatigue first.

The drill is one of the better 18v drills out there and has many advantages but also some rather notable drawbacks. The battery life is outstanding. Its really light and superbly balanced. With lots of torque. The problem with the drill is the very high torque gears are too slow. Its rated at 560in-lbs but it does so at 300rpm. Its kind of misleading because even the crappiest drill can do 560 in-lbs if you gear it slow enough. It will work REALLY slow if you need to move large stuff like hole saws. For reference the Dewalt DC925 will do about the same torque at 450rpm. The middle gear is also a rather useless 600rpm. Not enough torque to really move large bits but also not fast enough to be of any real use other than maybe driving some screws. The hammerdrill function is the drills biggest weakness. It will not go into anything much harder than block or brick. Forget poured concrete. Or really old and very well cured concrete of any kind. In contrast my Dewalt DC925 will blow it out of the water in overall performance and especially in concrete drilling.

The circular saw is very handy. Its comparable to most 18v circular saws. That means don't expect it to replace your corded saw but it will cut through full 2X lumber quite well and fast. Just make sure the blade doesn't pinch or it will bind. It brings one of the better cutting 24t ultra thin kerf blades I've tried. Leaves surprisingly clean cuts compared to other cordless 6 1/2" blades which tear out something awful. The saw is ultra light and compact which makes it extremely handy to use as a trimsaw or for one handed operation. I always keep it around handy to make quick cuts. The LED light is particularly useful in this saw. Battery life is also very respectable.

The reciprocating saw is a piece of junk. Sorry but the saw just has no redeeming qualities. NONE. There is unfortunately no other way to describe it. Its large, heavy and underpowered. For reference, its taller and longer, and weighs the same as Dewalts 36v saw! Whatever happened to lightness and compactness on these tools? To make matters worse, it is seriously underpowered. It binds quite easily and you can feel it really bog down doing something as simple as cutting pressure treated 2X4. Battery life is also extremely poor. I found it to be the same or worse than the average NiCD saw. Ergonomically its a poor design with a thick and squarish throat which is unconfortable to hold. The old Dewalt 385 it replaced was a superior saw in every respect. It had serious power and better size and battery life. The blade release of the LXT saw is pretty nifty in the it spits out the blade but can be hard to reach if its not fully extended. You might need to cycle the saw a couple of times to get the release know far out enough. The double finger trigger I found to be a poorly thought out idea. Two finger triggers are just not necessary on reciprocating saws. Its hard to carry the saw on the handle without having it go off. Got to keep your mind on setting the safety on or carry it only with the two bottom fingers which is uncomfortable.

The angle grinder. I kept my expectations realistic on this tool. An 18v grinder, like the circular saw, is not quite a replacement for the corded tool. It binds and stops easily. Thats not necessarily a huge problem. An 18v tool of this kind will never be able to do much better. It has a simple ingenious system that warns you when the tool is about to overload and shuts it down if it binds before the motor burns out. That said, if used with some finnese the tool will get the job done quite well and comes in quite handy. Its very useful for cutting tubing, rebar, bolts and the like when you just don't want to lug around a corded gringer.

The flashlite, is well, a flashlight. Its bright and its handy. What else can I say.

The bottom line is this is a well designed group but makes some sacrifices to achieve its lightness and compactness. It comes at the expense of performance and power. The heavy duty 18v groups from other brands, while heavier, and possibly not as much runtime will usually ouperform the LXT tools in raw power. If I had to do it again, other than the impact driver and perhaps the circular saw, I would have held on to the Dewalt 18v XRP toolset which is overall a substantially superior performer. The LXT battery life, while better on some tools (and not very good on some) is not THAT much better. Maybe 20% and at most 30% better than NiCD."
              That was the review I wrote on Amazon a few months ago. It's pretty much a copy of a lot of the discussions we had here. I wrote that because fter reading most of the Amazon reviews I found them all to be rather worthless. Most of them seemed to be from people who just bought them and were excited about the design so I wanted to put something a little more in depth.

Comment

I find that my Makita Hammer drill works well compared to the review. I like the power and the torque. It eats concrete well when paired with the correct bit. The torque is very high at low speeds, but that is the design of most drills I have used. Just like my 4x4 truck I have to gear down low to get out of tough spots with all my torque. I have also used my XRP next to my Makita and to say there is more power from my LXT Maikita is an understatement. I guess everyone has an opinion.

Comment

Just to be clear, that comparison is with new Dewalt of Bosch bits. And the comparison is against the DC925 which is the best of the 18v XRP drills, not the old DC988 or any other XRP model.

The LXT drill will do pretty good in most concrete, particularly soft stuff like block, but compared to the DC925 it really doesn't stand a chance. Particularly when drilling into really hard pours like well aged and cured columns and beams the LXT can barely make a dent. The DC925 smokes it pretty good. There was a review by Tools of the Trade that pretty much came up with the exact same conclusion.

As far as torque the LXT has a lot, but it had to sacrifice a lot of speed to achieve it. It turns at a really 300rpm in it's low gear while the DC925 can deliver almost, or about as much torque at 450rpm. Rpm for rpm the DC925 is easily delivering more torque than the LXT.

Comment

They also say on Tools of the Trade that the Dewalt has the best ergonomic design. I have used many drills and that couldn't be farther from the truth about the Dewalt 925, but that is my hand and not theirs. The Dewalt is also heavy.

Comment

I like the impact driver, mine is the 1.5AH kit. I beg to differ on the battery life. It's okay, but not that great, mind you it's got the smaller batteries. But I question that even with double capacity 3AH batteries if it would still be the best in runtime. My old DW056 DeWalt would run forever. And I mean forever. Also the DeWalt is faster than the Makita, no question. It's not significant enough to make not me want to use the Makita, but there is a difference. The DeWalt just has that little bit extra punch. I love the weight and feel though. You just can't beat a 2.8 lb impact driver.

Quality wise, I think the Makita is pretty good, but I've noticed that the 1/4" chuck has a bit of play in that the entire chuck/shaft will slide in and out of the unit. I thought there was something wrong with mine, but the units on display in the stores same thing. Does this matter? Don't know, but on the Dewalt, there's no play whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by workerbob View Post
                        They also say on Tools of the Trade that the Dewalt has the best ergonomic design. I have used many drills and that couldn't be farther from the truth about the Dewalt 925, but that is my hand and not theirs. The Dewalt is also heavy.
                        Ergonomics are really a personal preference issue. Dewalt drills are usually well regarded in terms of balance and grip feel. I personally prefer their design. I guess mainly I'm just really used to it. Even though I also like the Makita grips a lot, I find them just a little too short and skinny towards the bottom for my taste. I wouldn't discount either one on those points though. No doubt the Dewalt is heavier but it also has batteries that weigh over a pound more. With the lithium ion batteries the weight will be quite close. The body weight without batteries are very close between the two.
                        Last edited by Velosapien; 10-28-2007, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Even though I also like the Makita grips a lot, I find them just a little too short and skinny towards the bottom for my taste
                          It's funny how different people are....I like the skinny part of the handle, it seems to make the "feel" just right. I really don't like the Dewalt's grip. The non-angled off-set of the handle seems awkward.

Comment

Originally posted by LONGHAIR View Post
                            It's funny how different people are....I like the skinny part of the handle, it seems to make the "feel" just right. I really don't like the Dewalt's grip. The non-angled off-set of the handle seems awkward.
                            I feel the same way about the handles on my Bosch 10.8v drivers. The grips on my Makita's feel much more comfortable than the thick grips on the Bosch PS20/40.

Ern

Comment

The grips on my Makita's feel much more comfortable than the thick grips on the Bosch PS20/40.
                              Yeah, I have a PS20 and you are right, but I guess that is the price of having the battery in the handle rather than below it. I do like the PS20 over-all, but the grip is a bit odd. Personally I think the impactor version sucks. It is huge by comparison. I have not driven any screws with one, but if I need that much power in something that small....my Makita Impact driver is not that much bigger. I like the PS20 for small hardware, pulls, knobs, hinges, etc. It is really great with long runs of piano hinges

Comment

Working...
                              X