Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to move a table saw?

About to invest in a tablesaw here...

I noticed that these things are incredibly heavy. I have a small shop in my basement that I'd like to put the TS in, but I'm undecided if I should keep it in my garage. I live in a cold climate and would like to use it year round, and am afraid it won't see action during the winters if I keep it in the garage. Conversely, I'm not sure if I'll have enough room (long term) in the basement shop.

So, is it possible / feasible to move an assembled TS up a flight of stairs, or would it be better just to keep it out in the garage? If moving it is possible, would I have to remove the fence/rails first? Are there any other considerations?

Also, I'm looking to buy a contractor style one, not a portable job-site one. Not sure the quality of the job-site ones, but I intend to make furniture/cabinets and have been told "If you're going to buy a table saw, get a good one and make it an investment." Most of the research I've done on it says to stay away from the portable ones since they vibrate too much.

Any advice/opinions/comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I own the TS3650 and would say I wouldn't want to carry it up and down the stairs a couple of times a year. It weighs in at a hefty amount and not too different in comparison to other saws of its type. I would definately remove the fence/rails before attempting a move of that nature though. The TS2400 is the portable version and has gotten great reviews from those who own one in respect to turning out quality work. It is true that the benchtop style portable saws do have stories of vibration and not really for use as a furniture grade saw, but the TS2400 falls well above that category of jobsite tools from everything I have read. I would highly recommend a saw of that type over a contractor style saw if you do plan to move it in such a manner. If you do get the larger contractor type saw I would keep it in the garage and consider a heater of some type for those cold days.
    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

To move it you'd have to remove the fence rails and motor and it still might be awkward. While the 2400 portable (or any portable) isn't quite in the same league as the 3650, it sounds like the best type saw for the situation.

Comment

If you can get really lucky and find one, many years ago Delta made a high quality cast iron 10" bench top table saw that could be attached to a stand. This model had a rather small table and the rip fence could only reach up to 12" to the right of the blade, but if the machine's small table size was OK, it was a quality saw with fully machined T slots for the miter guide and the table surface was nice and smooth. The problem is that to find one in good condition is going to take loads of luck. I've been looking for one myself to fix up as I have limited space myself. I think maybe a good job site model is the best bet and if it just can't produce the work quality, or if you need to rip larger sheets, then later upgrade. With a contractor style table saw I would not like the idea of moving the stand for one, up and down stairs. I think that if you have helpers and a good heavy duty hand truck or such, that you might do far better with a cabinet or hybred saw. Personally I hate the idea of having to move heavy machinery that is made to be stationary. There's too much risk of hurting someone or damaging the machine. As for keeping a table saw in the garage, moisture will be a real issue for most of us. That is unless you have good heat, a dehumidifier running most of the time and air conditioning for summer. I would not want to pay your utilty bills. A good job site table saw is far better than today's bench top junk. Look around and in a worst case you might use it and then need to upgrade to something better. You should be able to sell if for a good price if you keep it in top condition.
        Last edited by Woussko; 01-17-2007, 11:44 AM.

Comment

4bit--I have a 3650 and I keep it in a garage/shop. I do have a wood stove for heat when I work out there, but I have no problems with rust etc. or anything that might affect the function of the saw. I am in a cold climate, as you are. (only 75 miles from the Canadian border) I followed advice from this forum when I set it up and cleaned and waxed the top. This is the second winter I have had it and no problems.
          Jim

Comment

PK has the right idea, heat the garage.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have no garage so my shop is in basement. I also have the 3650 and OMG!! I do not want to move it back up the stairs with or without help.I have about 16by20 area in the basement and it works well.I also have a spaceheater, forced air heater in the shop and drop cloth walls to help keep heat in.The only duct is on other end of basement grr.No ofense to anyone but I am tired of people saying I have a small shop and cant do this or that. I am proof of that. I been in the basment shop for almost 3 years now.This year i get to make cabinets for it to. I been useing sawhorses and old tables and shelves for tool storage. I do have a 4ft by 5 ft outfeed/worktable behind the 3650. So as i know all about space, stay in the garage and use heat out there lol. good luck....

Comment

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Just to clarify, I don't plan on moving the TS between the garage and the basement. My main concern is that I'll have enough space to work with it (shop is 10x16 in basement, garage is 30x30), and that when we sell this place and move into another one the moving guys are going to be able to actually get it outta there!

My (detached) garage is already insulated and has a heater in it. I live in Calgary (Canada), and it's not uncommon for it to get to -25 or -30c in the winter. Plus with it being detached we don't have the added benefit of heat radiating from the inside walls of the house. Something tells me it's going to be exceptionally expensive to heat, even if it's only to 10c or something (the lowest that my thermostat goes). I currently have the furnace turned off. I can't imagine how much it would cost to keep the garage heated, but something tells me it'll be expensive.

Starting to sound like a portable one might be the way to go. Ultimately, I plan on building furniture, and I'd hate to spend $$ on a portable one only to find out that it's not fit for the job and have to buy a new one down the road.

Maybe it's time to just buy a new house

Comment

I think trying to move a cast iron top table saw once would be enough to convince you never to try that again. While portable saws are certainly not quite as convenient there are certainly models out there now that do a really fine job. The TS2400LS and Bosch 4000-9 get a lot of praise for their accuracy and performance. I was in a similar situation where space ultimately decided that what I needed was a portable saw that can be stored when done. I've had a TS2400 for quite some time now and am exceptionally pleased with its performance. Its incredibly accurate and comfortable to use. With a little creative thinking and practice you can do some pretty impressive stuff and work around the limitations of a portable.

Comment

Re: Is it possible to move a table saw?

You should definitely be able to move it out the basement for a house move. The wings, motor, fence, and leg stand all come off without too much hassle. It's only ~ 300# max, so those segments shouldn't be too bad. You could probably move them alone if you're feeling ambitious!

Comment

hellcatt200

16 x 20 isn't that small. I'm sure you can do far more in your shop than most people think. It's all about how you arrange things in your shop and I'm sure you move them as necessary. I bet if you posted (maybe you have) pictures of you shop and you working on projects people thinking we need a 100 x 200 shop would think again.

Comment

I know this will sound crazy but it might be cheaper to buy two saws than to heat the garage for one winter given your location. I am sure you would use more than $450 in fuel in no time, maybe not one winter but by the end of the second winter for sure. See if you can strike a deal for two saws of the same model. Then you could share accessories between them and you wouldn't have to re-learn using the saw when you switched from garage to basement shop.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

It's 10x16, not 20x16

Comment

Ok here goes nothing lol.....I took measurements and came up with this. This is what my shop gets turned into after i get the cabinets made.I am making the cabs along the long wall with mitre saw inbetween the base cabs.If anyone counts the squres yes i misplaced the partion wall for the 11 foot mark by 1 foot oops .The new shop layout will be all within the 23ft long by 11ft wide.The rest of the basement is the for storage or the wifes stuff. ( whats the diff lol)I am going to start building in feburary as i am taking down and moving stuff at the moment. Any thoughts as where to place the bandsaw?? It seems to be in left feild now. I am thinking of putting it near the planer . I also might reduce the size of the table since i will get all the cabinet space hehe. thxs in advance for input.I hope yall can see the legend ok?? After 3 years in this size shop I am very used to takeing 2-3 steps to get to another tool. Very convienent IMO.I would not know what to do in a large shop lol.Don't get me wrong a bigger shop would be nice but all people adjust as I am proof like many others are.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by hellcatt200; 01-19-2007, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X