Craftsman 22401 bandsaw . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craftsman 22401 bandsaw . . .

This may not be the appropriate place to post this question, but with all the negative posts on the Ridgid BS1400 that I was about ready to buy, I just stopped my my local Sears and took a look at their 22401. It seems to be a better-made unit that the Delta by far and way more solid than the BS1400. It will also resaw 8" with no riser. So have any of you Ridgid Guys (Hey, I'm one of you) jumped ship on the bandsaw issue and sneaked out to buy a 22401?

I found a few reviews and they all raved about it. I'd like some credible comments now from some real woodbutchers.

Aloha!

Hiloguy
    Unanswered Questions
    are far less dangerous
    than Unquestioned Answers.

Re: Craftsman 22401 bandsaw . . .

Actually, I just picked 1 up today. It's still in the box but I'll take time this weekend to set it up and give it a try. I'm certainly not a pro woodworker so I can only give you a beginners opinion. Can't wait to make some dust....
    If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

The comments I've read about the 22401 have been mainly strongly positive, with exception of the quality of the roller bearings. (easy inexpensive replacement though)

Based on what I'd read of the 22401 and saw in person, I grabbed the 12" model 22400 and have been very pleased with it for it's price and size class.

They seem to be offering good quality and alot of features for the price...big resaw capacities, cast iron tables, decent power, fence, worklight, etc. It's no Minimax but does seem to raise the bar for the hobby shop level saws.

Comment

Well, I put it together and made my first test cuts. If you by this saw, use the manual just as picture reference for assembly of the cabinet. There aren't enough instructions. The back panel of the cabinet goes on the inside of the side panels, otherwise the holes don't line up. The lower braces go inside the side panels as well. Setting the saw on the cabinet can be a back wrencher. Once you have the saw resting on the cabinet, 4 bolts come up thru the cabinet, a first nut is to be put on and tightened to the frame of the cabinet then a second nut tightens down the saw itself. I had to use a couple of scrap boards to raise the saw enough to get my fingers under to do the nut thing. It was to much trouble trying to lift the saw off the cabinet then lifting the saw again higher to place it on the bolts, I was by myself. Everything else kinda fell in place and adjusted easily. Very little vibration and cuts great. Don't know much about the roller bearings but they are a bit hard to set just right, quite alot of play in my, amature, opinion. Once set they seem to be ok. So far so good. Took about 2 1/2 hrs to assemble. If you have any questions I'l try to answer them.

Comment

I have used the 22401 for about a month and it works well. The only thing I would change is the light position. I would prefer it was on the other side of the saw.

Comment

You might want to look at this new owners review of the Rikon 10-325 on SawMill Creek. He summed up the pros and cons of that saw pretty good I think.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=Rikon+10-325
            "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Well, I had a few opportunities to use the saw. I'm fairly new to this so I may be doing something wrong.

Saw runs great, very little vibration. The blade that came with it is a 1/4", 6 tpi. Gives a rough cut. I had to trim down some 5/8" thick to 1/2" red oak. Ended up a bit thinner, had to run the wood thru the planner to smooth it out. Dust collection works best using both the 4" port with DC and a shop vac on the 2 1/2" port. If you use just 1 port you end up with a dusty floor.

So far so good, seems to be a solid saw.

Comment

BS cuts are pretty rough in general compared to a TS, and are difficult to get precision from. So it's probably not you and probably not specically that saw - just the nature of the beast.

Comment

TomP,

Thanks for the reply. I was kinda hopeing this was the case. Are there any types of blades, weather it be width or tooth configuration, that will give a fairly smooth cut? Not that I'm going to go out and buy one now, just curious.

Comment

The more TPI and the wider the blade will get you a smoother cut. The narrow blades will cut circles easier though

Comment

Thanks for the info Orange. I think I'll keep that in mind and learn a bit more about using the saw before investing any more money.

Comment

16 Septeber 2008

Just completed assembly of Craftsman 22401 in about two hours-I am DAV
                        but found it relative easy with help on setting saw on stand.

Does anyone know where we can get a reasonable manuel for this Band Saw? I tried Saws online and the Service Denied this model 22401 exists.
                        It's a nice unit and will fired it up in the morning. I have read many of the notices on this unit and everyone was most helpful and very much on the money. I have one bolt w/nut left and still looking under the table for it's location. May have been to tired to see the spot.

Does anyone have the model number for the wheels that fit this unit?
                        Thanks for all the information it was very helpful-I just completed assembing a Craftsman 61/8 Jointer/Planer and it runs real nice-hope to finish assembling the 17" Floor Drill Wednesday. Then I am DONE! Can start throwing some dust.

Comment

Working...
                        X