Antique and Vintage Power Tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Antique and Vintage Power Tools

Garager, I am sorry you had problems with my website, my B&B is my business and I created the site myself. There is no spyware, no tracking cookies, and no malicious code. I even have it hosted by Yahoo which is about as reputable as it gets. I just clicked the link myself and am not experiencing anything like you describe but it concerns me.

I will PM you directly for more info on the problems you had...what you report is not good but I have had over 200 people access my site specifically to report errors to me and none have reported what you experienced.

BTW, I have been to Two Harbors, wife and I stayed in the Lighthouse B&B about two years ago. We flew into Duluth (early September), drove the coast up to the Canadian Border and hiked all the state parks working our way South. Stayed in Grand Marais, Little Marais, Two Harbors and Duluth. Gorgeous up there, the hiking was excellent, and we had a lot of fun!
    Last edited by Doggy; 01-28-2007, 02:00 PM.
    Little River Bed and Breakfast, Peterborough NH

Comment

Re: Antique and Vintage Power Tools Here ya go.

A 1930's Double duty Delta lathe

A 1940 Delta Unisaw purchased $250 total cost to rehab $900 including router table

My Dad's 1955 Duro Drill-press. Clean up & repaint build base new used motor that is older then the original. All free.

My Dad's 1967 12 Craftsman RAS.

My Dad's mothers Dad's hand-saw Some time before 1835-1850.

Numerous Stanley hand planes, Disston hand saws, Greenly draw knives, Stanley levels, Stanley folding measuring devises,Stanley 71 1/2 Router plane, Stanley 81 Scraper. Etc. Etc. Millerfalls#22 Jointer plane, Millerfalls Shoulder drill, Millfalls eggbeater style drill.

A whole shop full of my Dad's tools to come. I'll enjoy using them but am not looking forward to Dad not having them anymore.

One guy came into my shop & said heck you have a museum here.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by VLL; 02-01-2007, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Re: Antique and Vintage Power Tools Here ya go.

For you old time tool junkies here's something that will interest you;

http://www.supertool.com/forsale/feb07sale.htm
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Re: Antique and Vintage Power Tools (and hand tools)

It looks like I'm going to have to go pull out some of my old hand tools, take pictures and post them along with descriptions. I bet the plumbers would really wonder about my antique pipe threader that's got to be over 75 years old made by The Erie Tool Works - Erie, PA. I have never seen another one like it, but I'm sure there are some out there somewhere. I have a few draw knives and such too. Camera time and then scanning. I need a digital camera and am saving up $$$ to get a good one. Junk it junk and I don't need that.

Comment

Re: Antique and Vintage Power Tools (and hand tools)

"saving up $$$ to get a good one."

Digital cameras are just like film cameras of years ago, six months after you buy the latest and greatest it is obsolete. SO save some bux and buy a decent name brand camera with the features you want in the 150 - 200 range that is 4 mega pixels of better. For the average snapshot stuff that everyone does this is more than good enough. If you want to waste some money you can buy a Canon D50 for over $500 and you 4x6 prints will look the same. So I know I have generalized this a great deal but bottom line don't dump good TOOL MONEY into a camera

You got to keep your priorities straight.
            "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

off topic but in the thread. I agree. unless you are going really high end 200 bucks should get you a very good camera.

Canons Elph series are really quite good in that price range. check out techbargains.com every once in a while for good deals.

Josh

Comment

My problem is that after using a good 35mm SLR body and lenses (friend's - not my own), I'm spoiled rotton. I want high quality lenses and a SLR body. I do have to agree that $200 will buy a pretty nice digital camera for most users.

Anyway let's not worry about that, and let's get back to tools.

I'm hoping to sometime find a really good portable table saw like what Delta made many years ago. Cast iron table, tapered roller bearings on the arbor and the table tilted rather than the arbor. You could set it up on a bench or use it with a stand where the motor was down on a litle shelf near the floor. OSHA and the CPSC would not like such today. They didn't have safety features, but they could produce good work. I don't need to do bevel cutting with it. I just want a reasonable fence and a good miter guide on a saw that I can move (up & down stairs) myself. I really wish job site table saws had T-slots for the miter guide and ground surface tables. Then I would gladly buy one. My dream is to clean up my big mess and get a true cabinet style table saw sometime. Having used both a USA made Powermatic 66 and an older Delta Unisaw, both with 30" Biesemyer commercial fences (added to them), I'm spoiled. I want that kind of machine but smaller. I think of things as long term investments. It's just how I am.

Another thing is that I do not want a table saw with a high speed screaming motor and gear drive much like a portable circular saw if mounted to a table. I want a nice quite one. What I want is what I can't have.

What I need is to win loads of tax free $ and also get a nice big climate controlled and secure building with 120/208 Volt 3 phase power and the like. Then
                Last edited by Woussko; 02-07-2007, 02:02 AM.

Comment

"What I need is to win loads of tax free $ and also get a nice big climate controlled and secure building with 120/208 Volt 3 phase power and the like. Then"

Then, then what, you'll have spent all that wonderful money.

Then you have to go back to work.

Comment

VLL LOL

Actually the day I retire is the day that I get planted in the ground. That's if all goes as I hope it does. My idea about the money tree or other tax free money was that there just might be enough to really equip the place and also have plenty to live on. You know, a guy's dream. Now I just have to get back to work and save what I do have.

As for more tools, check back now and then. If I don't add some new pictures, I bet others will.

Does anyone have any antique Ridgid tools other than pipe wrenches? If I can find it, I have a pretty old (60 plus) threader for 1-1/4 - 2 iron pipe. I think I know where it is and I just have to work my way like a big rat through all the junk and fetch it out. It's too bad that I'm a big fat lazy worthless rat so that may take some time.

I forgot to add that I want a nice CAT generator set to power this place and for standby.

Comment

Has anyone ever seen one like this before? This is a Little Giant 4-way Pipe Wrench. While not mine (I wish it was) a friend that's a tool collector sent me this picture in E-mail. I think the design is pretty clever for a tool that's over 80 years old. The movable jaw can be out in all 4 different ways as needed. What do all of you think of it?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Bringing this back to life.

I've got an old rockwell router on the way and I've got the bug to acquire some more older tools. Like was discussed earlier I don't really know what constitutes antique or vintage.....but for me to be interested it has to be old and it has to look cool. No plastic, or very little.

I want to get a nice representation of tools just for display in the shop I will have some day.
                        Looking at: sanders, drills, routers, jigsaws, circular saws.

I've also seen some old recip saws (too expensive for me so far). There is very little B&D or Craftsman stuff I buy these days, but some of the old tools are really cool.

I'll post pics as I get a few things.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                          Has anyone ever seen one like this before? This is a Little Giant 4-way Pipe Wrench. While not mine (I wish it was) a friend that's a tool collector sent me this picture in E-mail. I think the design is pretty clever for a tool that's over 80 years old. The movable jaw can be out in all 4 different ways as needed. What do all of you think of it?
                          I think I got a Wrench like that. found it in a house I was cleaning out.
                          Im going to look for it soon

Comment

I have a sander that looks exactly like yours except it is a model 500G7 and takes 4X28 inch belts. It has been restored to beter than new condition since it was in almost new condition when i got it. Have you ever seen one because I can not find anyone who has.

Comment

Working...
                            X