Antique and Vintage Power Tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antique and Vintage Power Tools

Do any of you happen to collect, restore, or just like older power tools? If yes, please tell some about them. How did you come to own the tool, what you went through fixing it up and such.

Re: Antique and Vintage Power Tools

i have a few 1 a porter cable model 315 cirular saw, i bought it at a yard sale for $5.00 about 15 years ago all i had to do was put on a good blade and a new cord i used it daily for about 10 years and now it is in semi retirerment though it does still get used for light work now. i also have 2 old table saws one is a turner walker bench style that was made some where around 1935-40 and it has the orignal ge 1/2 hp motor i find that i was this saw quite abit for smaller projects, i also just got a oliver dual arbor 14" saw that is very nice but is bigger than i need so i don't use it often. there is an old craftsman 1/4 router in my colltion as well not sure but i would guess that it is late 60s-early 70s
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I'm working on my list of what I have and what I have had. Some were junked when they became no longer useful. That was bad, but with limited space I have to clean up the place now and then. I would say that the two oldest power tools in my family (both long gone) were a Delta 8" tilting table, with stationary arbor that was setup for either bench top or stand use and was made in the 1930s or so, and the other was an old timer Black & Decker 1/4" D handle drill that was dated to be made in the late 1920s. I know that I still have what's left of that drill (It took a nasty ride down the outside stairs and got all busted up ), but I haven't been able to find the box I hid it away in. It's been in my family since new. My father got the old Delta table saw long ago at a yard sale. About 10 years back the arbor casting broke and because it was a dangerous machine, I decided to be rid of it.

More to come soon.
      Last edited by Woussko; 01-22-2007, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Black & Decker Skill Saw and Jig Saw. Both from the '50's. Both still work and are primary. Skill Saw even still has the little fence thing! Looking to "retire" them soon. Seems that new tools just don't have the year possibilities the old ones have. Years of service from a tool is what makes them worth purchasing. Can I get 50+ years of home-hobbiest service from a modern tool? We'll have to see...

I also have a '40's-era Shopsmith with it's original bench and most of the attachments. It's rusty and in need of lots of work. I hope to be able to resurrect it and use it as a lathe.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I own a 1959 Craftsman radial 100,10" model #113.29003, it came to me because a buddy of mine years ago needed to store it in my shop. Years latter i told him to come get it, he was a no show. Then at least once a year i told him to come and get it, 3 more years went bye. After eight years of being in my shop one day i told him it belongs to me now, and his response was o.k. It was missing the key to turn it on (never even used it the whole time) so i installed a toggle switch. Boy was i surprise it ran, and now i use it just a few time a year. There is a picture of one with this story (if i did it right), i got the picture off the internet. Kind of surprised me that i found one. I don't have a digital camera so i just borrowed the picture. No blade break of course, so it takes like an hour for the blade to come to rest,lol. I enjoy this machine very much but afraid to use it to often. One night sitting at a bar, told a guy about it, the next day he stopped at my house to look at it, he loved it so much he offered me $1000.00, and like a fool i turned it down. I didn't need the $, and i sure like my saw. Thats my story thanks for reading, and i hope the picture comes out o.k.
          Attached Files
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

the nicest tool I used to own was this old Rockwell model 500 "Locomotive" sander. Got it at a local auction. One other guy knew it was worth big bucks but I beat him out at $95. It ran like a top and I enjoyed having it for a year or so but decided to put it on eBay and let someone else enjoy it. It sold for $450!!!

Mark
            Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

TWM

Porter-Cable has had very similar belt sanders from before they were part of Rockwell and afterward. That one was/is a nice collector's item for sure. It's too bad they quit making that style, but they became too costly.

garager

You were/are not a fool to turn down the offer. Think of what it might bring in 2025 if both it and you are still around!!!
              Last edited by Woussko; 01-23-2007, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Here are some pictures of some of my older electric drills.

Milwaukee 1/4" D handle model S114 that was made in 1955

Milwaukee 3/4" slade handle model 1851-1 made somewhere in the mid 70s but due to the name plate being a mess, I can't read all of the serial number.

More coming soon

If you click on one of the pictures it should display larger.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Woussko; 01-23-2007, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Not mine but my Father-In-Law has an early 1950s DeWalt Radial Arm Saw...he used it to build both his and his brother's homes. He still uses it regularly and it works like a champ!
                  Little River Bed and Breakfast, Peterborough NH

Comment

What are you classifying as vintage and what is antique?

Is antique older than 25 years, maybe 20 years?

Is vintage older than 30, 40, 50 or even longer?

I have some power tools that are close to 25 years, and probably a couple older than 25. I also have a number of hand tools older than 25, and older than 50, some that were my Great Uncles' and some of my Grandfathers stuff too like Stanley, MF, and other make eggbeater drills, chisels, saws, etc.
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Hi everyone, don't click on Doggy link unless you wast 25 web pages, my computer went nuts. Thought it was a virus at first, instead 25 web pages jumped up. Never seen anything like that before. I guess for a power tool it must be 20 years for antique, vintage my guess since we're talking power tools 50 years at least. Need more photo's, so far its been great looking at the few that are here. To The Wood Meister, man did that Rockwell looked to be in mint condition. Sometimes money talks, bummer you sold it. Woussko, choise drills don't get rid of them, I also had the 3/4" milwaukee and I threw it away because it had the burning smell to it. Wish I new what the problem was before I tossed it, bummer. Simple contact brushes (I was 18 or 19) my grandfather gave it to me. Also I thought it was plain old ugly, live and learn. More pictures everyone..
                      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

When it comes to "antique" or "vintage" I sort of had in mind anything say 1980 or earlier, but I hate the idea of setting rules on here. I mostly am trying to find out if anyone takes interest in collecting and/or restoring older tools. It would be nice if everyone tried to post dates, but that can become hard when a company has been out of business for some time.

I bet you love your older Millers-Falls tools. It's a real shame IMO when a company like them ends up as history.

Here's one of my little cute 1/4" pistol grip drills. As best as I can remember it's been in the family since 1960 if not longer. Let's see if any of you have more info on this. Yes, it still runs and I do use it now and then. I would like it very much if a good power tool company made one styled like it today. It's one of few that I can get into some tight areas. The spindle offset from the case to the center is about 5/8". I lost the mini sized (worthless if you ask me) side handle for it and soon am going to make up one of my own design.

I'm not just about drills and soon hope to take and scan more pictures of my other tools including some that I'm going to ask if anyone knows what they are and/or what they were used for. I hope this thread ends up being useful and fun for all members of the Ridgid forum.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Woussko; 01-23-2007, 05:51 PM.

Comment

There's a wholesale tool/wood supply shop near my house that holds a tool sale about once a month where they sell old hand tools and power tools. Last time I was over there they had a super old 36" bandsaw. They've always got old planes and chisels for sale. Some of the tools are so old, most people don't even know what they are for.

Comment

Great pistol drill Woussko, I haven't seen one of those since metal shop back in high school, about 1978. Your right lets not put any time on antique or vintage. Also hand tools would be cool, not just power tools, maybe we could stump a lot of members on, what is it, and when was it made or who was it made by? I think this weekend I'll have to go buy a digital camera for this forum. Maybe Ridgid will see something they like and bring it back. Great topic this is going to be fun...... Keep the pictures rolling in. Contractorpro, I know for a fact that old planes are well sought after, they can go for big bucks. But then again only if you have a buyer, or sell them on ebay.
                            Last edited by garager; 01-23-2007, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Garager

Maybe you can start a thread for antique hand tools. Anyone that's a member can start up a new thread. I think that one might do well under "General Discussion" rather than under Power Tools. We really could have fun teasing people with some wild and rare tools.

Comment

Working...
                              X