Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever see one of these?

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/266863412.html

I never knew such a thing existed. If no one here jumps on it, what is the general opinion of such a thing?

(EDIT) He is comparing it to the normal 12" BS
    Last edited by Orange Apron; 01-22-2007, 08:43 PM.

Re: Ever see one of these?

I have seen this style of saw before. Actually, if you do a lot of angled band sawing, it's much easier with that saw than to pivot the table and chase your wood all around. Kinda like tilting your table saw and keeping the blade up and down, not the ideal way to do it. Price is good too if this is what you want.

Mark
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Your link leads to an empty page saying it was removed.
      what were you you looking at?
      Was it the Craftsman tilting blade BS they had a few years ago?

Did it look something like this?

Last edited by Bob D.; 10-19-2007, 03:57 PM.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
        Your link leads to an empty page saying tit was removed.
        what were you you looking at?
        Was it the Craftsman tilting blade BS they had a few years ago?

Did it look something like this?

That was it. I have never seen such a thing before. Not really what Im looking for just wanted to see if I was that far out of touch

Comment

That was a S that Sears/Craftsman sold for a few years. I thought it was a pretty neat idea. At that time I think Emerson was making the BS for them. I can see where it would have advantages at times over a tilt table. I have seen a few going in the $80 - $100 range in my area (within 75 miles). I was tempted once to pick one up a while back and that is how I came to have that photo. But I decided to tweak my old BS and run it a couple more years and wait to get something bigger and better. I did and recently bought the Rikon 10-325 14" BS which so far has been great.

Comment

They've been around for a very long time.
            http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...06/ai_n9286286

Barry

Comment

yep I own one and it is a P.O.S. cant cut a line straight if your life depended on it blade walks no matter how much you adjust it only reason I still have it is im going to sell it to some unsuspecting yuppie woodworker in my garage sale this summer.
              "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
              arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to
              skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
              proclaiming . . "WOW ---What a Ride!"

Comment

Originally posted by woodweavil View Post
                im going to sell it to some unsuspecting yuppie woodworker in my garage sale this summer.
                wow i can't belive you would want to screw over some on like that. please tell us where you live so that we won't come over and buy anything from you. but while we are selling stuff i have some water front property in arizona to sell you ..... real cheap too.
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by woodweavil View Post
                  yep I own one and it is a P.O.S. cant cut a line straight if your life depended on it blade walks no matter how much you adjust it only reason I still have it is im going to sell it to some unsuspecting yuppie woodworker in my garage sale this summer.

Strange, the concept of fixed table/tilting blade is using in many larger scale bandsaws. I have used big Marvel Metal-cutting Bandsaws which are of this style and I found them very easy to use. Setup with any BS is a never-ending battle it seems, they constantly need adjustment/tweaking. The Marvel BS is a wet saw w/power feed. You set up the cut and clamp the workpiece to the table, then engage the feed (after setting the feed pressure) and stand back and watch it work. We used them to cut big tube steel, angle, and WF beams for large bore pipe hangers. That saw would slice through a piece of 6x8x1/2" TS in just a minute or two, W24x146 beams took a little longer (there's 43 sq. in. of steel to cut through in a beam that size ) The blade was something like 210" IIRC. Here's a photo of one but much smaller than the ones we were using, the table on ours were about 3 x 7 feet. The blade can also be tilted over 45 deg. to make angled cuts.

Last edited by Bob D.; 10-19-2007, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Bob and others

If you have flash (I'm pretty sure you do) installed, take a look at this web site where it shows Marvel band saws tilting 60 degrees to both the left and right!!! I think you'll enjoy looking around. I remember seeing some of their band saws in a place in North Eastern PA that sells all manor of raw steel products. Some of the band saws are huge workhorses for sure. They even have some downloadable videos showing the machines at work on this site.

http://www.sawing.com/

Marvel Manufacturing Co., Inc.
                    Oshkosh, WI
                    Phone: (920) 236-7200
                    Last edited by Woussko; 02-04-2007, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the link to their site. The Mark 8 Series II looks very similar to what we used, but a few years newer no doubt. The blade size is about right. I thought it was 210 but the 186" (15'-6") high column model is probably like what we had. I remember they were pretty messy to operate, the cutting fluid would be all over the place and table top. We kept a squeegee close by for clean up.

Comment

Working...
                      X