Porter Cable 371K now Available at HD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porter Cable 371K now Available at HD

My store just got them in last night and I put it on display tonight. It's $119.97 which is comparable to places like amazon.com. Of course we don't carry the sanding belts for it yet, but i hope they're coming soon (as in anywhere from next week to next year ).

For those not familiar with them here's a picture of it. It's a mini belt sander that uses a 2.5"x14" belt

Porter Cable's Profile on 371K
    Attached Files

Re: Porter Cable 371K now Available at HD

They need to run a special deal if you buy 2 of them. One for each hand.

If anyone does need belts for this model, here are a couple online dealers showing them.
    http://www.toolbarn.com/category/por.../sandingbelts/
    http://www.tylertool.com/sandingbelts.html

Amazon has them too. Just do a search for 2-1/2 x 14 sanding belts

I got to test try one of them the other day. For little jobs they are pretty handy, but for about 95% of the work I need a belt sander for, my PC 360 is a better choice. I do like the way this new model can be connected to your shop vac for dust collection. The stupid floppy bags are worthless if you ask me.
    Last edited by Woussko; 01-23-2007, 11:16 PM.

Comment

I just got mine in the mail last week. I love it for cabinet faces before laminating and for scribing up to a wall. I also used it with great success for the end of a cabinet panel I built using a 1/4-3/4-1/4 ply sandwich. It is actually a bit bigger than I expected and my arm gets numb the following morning if I use it vertically for too long, but it is much better than my RO for certain apps. It also can get very close to surfaces I don't want to touch with good control--even better than the RO in many cases. The belts are available from amazon but make sure you check the shipping because some vendors ding you like crazy. I got a multi pack with 60, 80, 120, 180, 220 for pretty cheap. (it comes with an 80 grit) If you don't need a full sized belt sander too often but find yourself getting a little impatient with th RO it is a great tool.
      A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I purchased one from Rockler and it's very well built. Belt tracking adjustment is easy and accurate, it's aggressive enough for small jobs.
        It's a single speed not variable. The case that comes with it is a solid plastic case, using a razor knife I was able to remove some of the plastic to store more belts. I purchased extra belts from Rockler.

Comment

I'm definately picking up one of these and I have a feeling its going to be one of my most fraquently used sanders. Sometimes my 3X21 PC 352 is impossibly large to handle for some precision stuff and orbital sanders are terribly inadequate.

Comment

If you want something a little bigger, but smaller than the full size models, this one might be worth looking into. It has variable speed. http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=9911
            http://www.amazon.com/Makita-9911-Va.../dp/B0000223IV

Comment

I did come extremely close to picking up that makita but its still a little bigger than I'd like. I liked how light and small it was but I think the porter cable one might be exactly what I want as its a little smaller and apparently possible to easily handle with one hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                I did come extremely close to picking up that makita but its still a little bigger than I'd like. I liked how light and small it was but I think the porter cable one might be exactly what I want as its a little smaller and apparently possible to easily handle with one hand.
                I have found it possible to use with one hand, but I usually end up using two pretty quick because it is pretty strong and threatens to get away every now and then. The one thing I noticed about the makita that looks cool is that it has a flat top for benching it. If I want to use the PC upside down I can hold it in one hand and the material in the other, but it would be nice to be able to stabalize it. If you have another belt sander at your disposal for this it wouldn't matter, and it is cool that the PC looks like a pill bug with its rounded rubber top

Comment

I just got replacement belts at HD yesterday. They are cheaper than online (under $6 for the five pack as opposed to $11 + shipping) and they have 2 packs of 80 grit also available. Being able to pick up belts makes this seem like a new tool, the idea of waiting for the mail stunk.
                  Last edited by woodenstickers; 03-03-2007, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X