Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Battery Charger

Hi there

i currently live in Canada and own the 18v Ridgid combi kit which includes battery charger. I am now emigrating to the UK and wanted to know if i could charge the batteries with the battery charger in the UK which uses 240v electricity. If i purchase a converter to convert down from 240v to 110v would i be ok?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Re: Ridgid Battery Charger

A transformer type of converter with a 200 - 240 Volt primary and a 120 Volt secondary should work fine. There might be a slight problem in that most of Canada and all of the USA use 60 Hertz power and then UK has 50 Hertz power. Depending on the transformer inside the charger this might cause overheating. Does your charger have anything on it about xx Hertz power? In a worst case, you might need to get and use an Inverter (sine wave) power converter.

Comment

Do you know where i could get that type of convertor in Canada.
      Thanks

Comment

I'm down here in the USA so I don't know any place names. I would suggest checking electronics stores and also electrical supply houses. You'll need to know all the loads (Watts or Amp. ratings) of the items you'll want to run. If you need to use more than one item at a time, add them up.

Comment

You can use it on a coverter in the Uk. But the electronics will eventually burn up. As woussko stated the hertz diffence plays hell on the boards.

Comment

I looked at the manual for the charger and it said 120 volts, 60 hz, AC only - so if i can get an invertor which converts from 50 to 60 and from 240 to 120 i should be ok thanks

Comment

jasp

Is the battery charger the only item you want to power when in the UK, or area you taking along other items too? The problem of going for an all out method to convert the power over in the UK to 120 Volts AC and 60 Hertz will be some big $$$. If you mostly just want to run the charger, then a simple transformer converter should be OK for most simple items. If you have a Radio Shack near you, go talk to them. Or look at www.radioshack.com

Comment

definately need a power inverter. we took some things over at one time and the motors on the kitchen appliances wouldnt run the way they ran in canada. it seems slower. as for battery chargers, it seemed that they took longer to charge. so the 60 to 50 hz is an issue in the long run. i wish i could tell you of a solution, we just bought new things!

omar

Comment

Depending on what all you need to run, it might be cheaper to just buy new items. If you really want to, you'll need to buy a power supply and a hefty one at that which will take the UK power and convert it to regulated DC in the range of 24-28 Volts and 50 or more Amps. This will be a heavy and pretty high price beast in itself. Then you'll want a USA made Power Inverter that takes the 24-28 Volts DC and converts it to 120 Volts 60 Hertz AC sine wave. Tripplite makes nice inverters and power supplies, but I don't think they make power supplies for use in the UK. I'll try to find out more and will post when I do. Please list the items you'll want/need to run when in the UK or anywhere else that doesn't have 120 Volt AC 60 Hertz power available to you. I need a good idea of your total load.

Comment

Hi there,

i think i have found a solution tell me if you think it will work.

I found a Vecor Inverter 400 W which converts DC 10-12 volt to AC 110v 60hz, by using my car battery in the UK i would be able to just use the vector inverter to charge up the batteries via the ridgid charger. I am gonna assume that the charger runs on less than the 400w output the inverter uses

This is probably the only thing i would want to take over to the UK with me, all the rest of the items ie camera laptops come with their own converters.

Let me know your thoughts

Comment

If you only want to power the charger and maybe another small device, that should work. While you're at it take a look here at some inverters by Tripplite a good USA company. This is a dealer's site. I think either will work for the charger. Look at the name plate. If the Amp rating is less than 2.5 the smaller one would work and if under 4 then the the next one. One thing about inverters is that you don't want to run them at full load more than just a few minutes. Normally you want to run them about 1/2 of rated output or less if it's going to take time. You'll want the engine running when you have the inverter in use. Just plug in everything and with engine running, turn it on and take a good drive. That should help. If you were to leave the inverter running overnight, you may well have trouble in the morning from a drained battery. I'm pretty sure there's a 200-240 Volt 50 Hertz charger made for your battery if they are sold over seas. You might give customer service a call and ask if they can order one. The other idea would be to have someone you know over near where you're going look around. They might just find a charger for your batteries. I wish that Ridgid had a good web site up for UK and German customers. Maybe they do and I just have yet to find it.

http://www.provantage.com/tripp-lite-pv375~7TRPI014.htm

http://www.provantage.com/tripp-lite-pv600~7TRPI016.htm

Comment

Working...
                      X