X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyless chuck for Ridgid 15" Drill Press

Hello all. I've searched the forums for keyless chuck and found some hits, but nothing that is approaching an answer. I have the Ridgid DP 15501 stationary drill press and would like to retrofit a keyless chuck. I've yet to find a keyless chuck provider that specifically states their chucks will fit the Ridgid.

Does anyone have this answer or advice on how to proceed?

"I used to be indecisive, but now I don't know"

Re: Keyless chuck for Ridgid 15" Drill Press

Take a good look at the keyed chuck that's on your drill press. Does it give a number and then JT ? Example: 33JT If it does, please post that info here and I'll help you find a good keyless chuck. Why do you not like the chuck that's on your drill press? Is it just because of needing the key, or are there other problems with it?

Comment

The chuck says "JT3#" followed by "cap 16mm". There's nothing wrong with the chuck or drill press - i've been very pleased with my Ridgid DP, but the constant use/find/search for chuck key is annoying - basically the same reason users prefer handheld drills with keyless chucks.

The rubber holdfast is stiff and the rare earth magnet I now use helps when I remember to use it, but still, keyless with single hand mechanism - something like the Ridgid 18V cordless chuck - very slick!

Comment

I never misplace the chuck key for my DP. I took one of those round key holders, the kind with a belt hook and about 2 or 3 feet of chain round inside, and used a radiator clamp to mount it to the column of my DP. I drilled a hole in the round bar part of the chuck key and attached the key to the key holder. Now, the chuck key is always within grabbing distance.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

BD has a good idea or just get what's called a "Key Leash" and attach the chuck key to the plug end of the power cord. It's a good idea to have a spare chuck key around.

Now for the Keyless Chuck part:

1. You'll need a set of (2) #3 size chuck removal wedges and have to hope the chuck adaptor-arbor has enough shoulder so you can use them.

2. Once you manage to remove your current chuck, you'll want either a 1/2 or 5/8 inch capacity keyless chuck. In many cases the 1/2 inch capacity (around 12 or 13 mm) can close down smaller for use with tiny size drill bits.

I would suggest that you go to the following web site and download and review the .PDF file.

http://www.jacobschuck.com/pdf/s1.pdf (See the part for Tapered Spindles)

When it comes to selecting your new chuck, there are many choices depending on what features you need, price range and overall quality. Some of the high end chucks would be pretty insane as they are for high precission machines and cost more than your whole drill press. On the other hand, don't expect any quality without having to pay for it. The 19.99 special isn't going to do you much good.

I personally would leave well enough alone (provided the chuck that came with it serves your needs) and just buy an extra chuck key or two. You'll need to take your's along to match it with the new ones.

Hint: In your shop on the wall or such, install an EYE screw where you can store the extra key out where you can see it. See picture Most good hardware stores sell them in several sizes.
          Attached Files

Comment

WARNING

Be 100% sure to remove your chuck key before starting up any drill press, or powered drilling machine. Failure to do so will result in one chuck key flying. If you're lucky it will just bash up a wall, but if you're not so lucky, you'll end up injured. This is good reason to attach the key to a leash and attach that to the plug end of the power cord.

Comment

Ok, much thanks for the follow through and feedback!

Comment

I forgot about the chuck removal wedges. Here is a picture. Look in your yellow pages phone book under "Industrial Supply" and such a place should stock them or can order them for you. The JT3 means your chuck has a #3 Jacobs Taper mount which is pretty standard for that size chuck. 16 mm is just a tiny bit over 5/8 inch. 0.6299 VS 0.6250

To use them you'll want the flat sides on the outside. You'll need a big pair of Channellock pliers or a vise.

I don't own the Ridgid drill press and am not sure if your spindle has a slot hole in it for use with what's called a "Drill Drift". If it does, then the chuck arbor can be removed and this all becomes less trouble. Remember that your chuck is a press fit to a tapered mount and is not threaded. Removing them is a little more tricky than with a threaded chuck, but it can be done. Please see both pictures. You'll most likely want a #2 size drill drift. When I get to Home Depot again, I'll take a look at their Ridgid drill press on display. About 1 minute of looking will answer many questions for me.

If you can use a drill drift, you want the flat edge up and once inserted, tap it with a hammer. No hard blows, please. You'll want a piece of wood on the drill press table and the table set so that when the chuck falls it doesn't fall very far.

Pictures left to right: Chuck Arbor (adaptor), chuck removal wedges, drill drift - The chuck arbor would come with your drill press and you don't need another, unless you might like to be able to use both chucks. In that case you won't need the removal wedges. You can just buy the keyless chuck and the right arbor for it. Again, I need to see the drill press in person. I'm not sure what type of spindle and quill it's setup with. If it's done the way I hope, all of this will come easy for you and you'll be able to use it with either chuck with a simple and quick changing. If not, then you'll have a little more work and won't want to go switching them.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Woussko; 01-27-2007, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the additional info. I remember when I bought it about a 2 years ago at Home Depot, it had the tapered, press-fit chuck - you actually have to put it together per the DP setup instructions. I was surprised at how well it stayed together considered it was a conical press fit versus threaded or interference fit.

Comment

Before I go onward, I need to see this model drill press in person at a Home Depot near me. I need to find out more about how the spindle is made. Once I get to see one, then I'll be able to tell you what you'll need to buy. I'm hoping it's setup like a machine shop rather than a home user model. If it is, this will make it much easier to change the chuck over to a keyless and then back to the origional one later on if desired. Give me a few days and look for an update posting.

Comment

I did run across this keyless chuck on the woodcraft website, but not sure if it would fit. Price seems reasonable. http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=4851

Comment

You'll have to first get your chuck off the spindle. Depending on just how your drill press is made (I need to see one at Home Depot to be sure about several things) this may be pretty easy or it may be a very tuff task to do without hurting yourself or damaging the machine. Once off the keyless chuck with the #3JT mount should work. I'm really hoping (but kind of doubt it) that your drill press has a Morse taper socket spindle. Normally such is asking too much for a home owner grade drill press. If the chuck has to come off of a fixed spindle, I sure hope they machined it so that chuck removal wedges can be used without having to drill and pin it. If that's the case (They made things hard to do), buy several extra chuck keys and be done with it. Are there any markings on your chuck key? If yes, that may help with figuring the correct key to fit it. Again, I really need to check this out when I'm at a Home Depot. I do plan to go this week as I need things from there. I personally don't like that the chuck you mentioned with a #3JT mount only closes down to 1/8 inch. If you ever need to drill tiny holes you'll be howling.

I really recommend that you buy a chuck key leash (see earlier picture) and put a spare key in it. Then install this right near the plug end of the power cord. I installed several "eye screws" near the door, on the wall of my workshop and keep extra chuck keys in them for the chucks I use alot. You need to be sure to put the key back after using it.
                        Last edited by Woussko; 01-29-2007, 02:16 PM.

Comment

It may seem silly and simple...but I've made myself get into the habit of putting the key back in the rubber socket on the side of the machine. Before I finish for the day, I check the lights. My habit is, look for chuck key first, then I can shut off the DP light. If there's no chuck key in the holder, the light has to stay on. It's hard at first to get into the habit (I can lose a screwdriver in .0007seconds flat), but once you've done it a few times it works. I've put the key in some dumb places while working on projects...the light/key has worked well for me.
                          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Sandy

Good habits are the KEY to not loosing things. Everyone (me included) ends up putting them in a pocket and then we tend to forget which chuck it fits. You might try the idea of a key leash attached to the power cord and getting a spare key, or do like me and install a few "eye screws" where you can hang up extra keys. The idea is to keep a spare or two for each chuck you use so that in case you loose a key, you won't be "out of service".

What I (and everyone else) must remember is to always replace the key where you got it from after using it.

Chuck keys are cheap. Keyless chucks (good ones) and the needed tools to remove your current chuck get rather costly fast.

I replace junky chucks, but hate to replace a good one. Here goes the $$$

WARNING MESSAGE

Always make sure to remove the chuck key and any other tools before starting the machine. Failure to do so will result in large pieces of steel flying about your workshop. No one wants to get hit by such. Because of the above, I like to keep the key in a key leash as it's called near the plug end of the power cord. You must unplug the drill in order to use the key. Please, always think SAFETY FIRST
                            Last edited by Woussko; 01-29-2007, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Update

Before I post anymore about this, I really most get myself over to Home Depot and see the drill press for real. Without seeing it, I'm only able to guess about things. Once I get a good look, I'll be able to tell if removal of the current chuck will be pretty easy or a real nasty PITA job. Whatever you do, don't try hammering on the chuck or inserting a hex key into it and hitting it. That just won't work and you can damage both the chuck and spindle. Please wait. I need to see how this model of drill press is made. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X