X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cast alumium vs cast iron???

is there a reason why tablesaws only have cast iron tables? if they had the option to use cast alumium to aviod rusty tops and to save some weight what would you do ? yes i know iron is cheaper but guys like me that live in very very humid areas would not have to sand ,scarp ,buff the table every single time i want to use the saw. waxing does little to nothing for me but i have fond lindseed oil helps some please tell me that you guys would perfer a high quailty alumium table.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Re: cast alumium vs cast iron???

Iron is heavier and gives more stability. It also does not gouge as easily as Aluminum.
    Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

Cast iron is less inclined to warp I believe, and it does make for a much stronger assembly and is certainly more durable than aluminum. Hence, it is also the traditional material for table saws. In the earlier part of the 20th century there were iron foundrys everywhere in the U.S. and therefore U.S. manufacturers had an easily obtainable source. (Also, aluminum didn't come into common use until WWII. Environmental issues have closed most foundrys here in the U.S., especially iron foundrys.

Aluminum is easier to cast, extrude, etc. TTI/Ryobi is a world leader in aluminum casting technology and saws like Ridgid's 2400 and all of Ryobi's saws are aluminum. Ryobi's saws are on the low end of the scale (you can read that as "cheap"!), but the Ridgid 2400 is well designed and built and has some nice features. Because I am also humidity-challenged, aluminum was a key feature. While I was seriously considering the Ridgid 2400, I purchased Ryobi's flagship BT3100-1 on closeout last year for only $150 (orig. $300). With it's 3-point fence and sliding miter table, it serves my purposes well.

CWS
      Last edited by CWSmith; 01-27-2007, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Iron is the harder and stronger of the two, and it's added mass can be beneficial. The new Steel City saws offer an optional titanium nitrate coating on some of the upper saws.

I don't believe iron is a cheaper choice than aluminum, but I could be wrong.
        Last edited by hewood; 01-27-2007, 01:09 PM.

Comment

but if something other than iron was offered that was lighter ans didn't rust that stayed flat ect if if it was option that might cost say $100 give or take more than the cast iron would concider it? what about compoists? plastics fiberglass cabonfiber ect? everthing has it's pro's and con's. so what if any thing would be as good or better than cast iron?
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

How 'bout a machined billet aluminum top?

Really... how much could it possibly cost?

Comment

Look at most of the "Job site" table saws and you'll see an aluminum table. The same for miter saws. A well engineered, rib reinforced aluminum table would be fine other than for being softer. Now maybe they could opt for a cast aluminum table and do some manor of surface treatment so as to obtain a hard surface. The added weight of cast iron in a cabinet saw does keep it more rock solid and helps reduce vibration. For people that do have moisture - humidity issues, please look over the web sites for CRC and LPS products and for the table, a good coating of paste wax and good buffing sure helps.

Comment

so there is no other space aged surface that can be used other than iron?
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

There certainly are other materials that can be used instead but they would actually add considerably more to the price. Something like magnesium would probably be very good for a table top but it would skyrocket the price and magnesium corrodes something nasty. It would be considerably lighter though. Carbon fiber is is not suitable for anything that requires a perfectly flat large machined surface. It doesn't handle scraping (as in wood over table top) well at all. It would also be astronomicaly expensive. Aluminium like portable saws is a good choice if its reinforced and ribbed well. It would very likely not hold perfect flatness over time and likely be more prone to some warping with temperature changes. Titanium would probably make for a very nice table top material except I dont think it can be cast all that well. It would make the table lighter but not by much. It would absolutely not corrode and probably resist warping. Titanium is rarely used in anything larger than tubing, sheets or relatively small parts. Good ole steel is still the most reliable and cheapest solution.

Comment

Composites might not fit the bill, but I'd be interested in seeing whether a materials engineer could come up with a ceramic top. Low friction, stiff as a board, or stiffer, and virtually rust and scratch free.
                    Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

Originally posted by Roadrunner View Post
                      Composites might not fit the bill, but I'd be interested in seeing whether a materials engineer could come up with a ceramic top. Low friction, stiff as a board, or stiffer, and virtually rust and scratch free.
                      Now there is an idea! Some fancy ceramic stuff could be stiff as hell, warp resistant, can be perfectly flattened, and wouldn't rust. It would not be cheap though!

Comment

Oldslowchevy, been there, done that. My old Craftsman contractor had an aluminum top. Living down here in SW Louisiana, it didn't rust, but it sure did chalk after a few years. Like everyone else has said, it would not stay true with temp. changes and was full of scratches. It was the first tool that LOML bought me, so I never could bring myself to get rid of it(even though I hated using it) until it bit the dust. My new 3650 is a dream to use. If you're fighting rust, try using Boeshield T-9.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadrunner View Post
                          materials engineer could come up with a ceramic top. Low friction, stiff as a board, or stiffer, and virtually rust and scratch free.
                          humm now that might be an idea..... they do ceramic coat headers i had set done about 7 years ago, and they still look brand new, though it was kinda pricy i belive they cost me $250 though i think it is cheaper now could we get the tops coated? i have one old saw that i have to sand and buff the top every time i want to use it and yes i do use biosheild t-9 on it but it still has rust on it within a few days but another saw might not rust in 6 month or more with no protection at all applyed.
                          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

How easily does pool table slate chip?

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
                              How easily does pool table slate chip?
                              Depends on the type, but most will chip easily and not light....
                              Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Working...
                              X