Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miter saw accuracy

Hello,

I purchased a Ridgid Miter saw, I like the saw but it has an issue when I lean it at a 45 degree angle. I set it up to cut exactly 90 degrees when the saw is vertical. When I lean the saw at 45 degrees it no longer maintains the 90 degree angle, it is out about a 16th of an inch in 5 and 1/2 inches.

My question is, Is this to much to expect or should it be right on.

The model is an MS1065LZ

Ron

Re: Miter saw accuracy

i would say it should be right on, though i have never set up the ridgid miter saw it should tell you in your owners manual what steps and the order to take then in sorry my advise isn't ver good but better is on the way i promise also welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by oldslowchevy; 01-28-2007, 06:29 PM.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Old Slow Chevy,

I read the manual, unfortunately there is no adjustment for this part. The deflection occurrs in the mounting point of the saw to the table. There must be a slight variance in it when it is heeled over, a machining flaw on the casting perhaps.

I just wondering if I am being to picky, have others experienced this issue, perhaps it is unavoidable at this price point.

Comment

just remember if you are still with in the window you have 90 days to take it back a 3 year waranty and if you sent in and regersterd the limited life time service agrement if it proves to be a casting flaw
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Not much of a point in returning it unfortunately. This seems to be a common recurrung flaw in this saw. I've read other reports of the same here. It happens with the one I have as well as the one I returned before it. You can minimize the problem by getting a quality full kerf 1/8" blade. Blade deflection is partially due to the innacuracy. The tilt problem is due to the bevel pivot not being machined perfectly straight. My temporary solution was to adjust the saw to make perfect 90 degree cuts. Then when beveled to 45 degrees make a few test cuts, ideally on a perfectly straight and square 2X6". Keep turning the table very slightly to compensate until the cut is perfectly straight. Mark that position on the table and you should be set. Just shift it slightly on bevel cuts. I had to offset the table on mine about a half a degree to get straight 45d bevels. My permanent solution was to go buy the Makita LS1013 slider. Dead on and flawlessly accurate at any angle and even accross a full 12" board. I still use the ridgid for some quick 90d cuts if I don't want to change the position of the Makita.

Comment

Thanks Velosapien,

That's what I wanted to know, I kind of figured it would be a flaw in all of them. I wonder if another brand at the same price would be similiar. I may just keep it and adjust for it as needed, I do like the saw otherwise. For my purposes I can't warrant spending a whole lot more money.

Comment

You might take a look at the Makita LS1040 which is a 10 inch compound (but not sliding) miter saw. I don't own one, but have heard good things about them. I'm not sure about pricing up in Canada. The LS1040F has a nice builtin work light. I would gladly pay a bit more to get that feature.

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...det&tag=LS1040
              http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...et&tag=LS1040F

Comment

I took my saw back and purchased a Dewalt DW703. Of course the first thing I did was test it. I adjusted it so it was at exactly a 90 degree cut and then did the 45 degree bevel cut. It was not perfect but it was far better. The variation could just be blade deflection, at any rate this one cuts well enough to satisfy me. After I setup the Dewalt I tried the Ridgid again and there really was no comparisim in the quality of the cut.

It is to bad really I liked the pointers on the Ridgid better and it also had the clamp and the laser. Thanks to those that replied.

Off to work

Cheers

Comment

The laser is just arbor mounted on the ridgid so you can get an equivalent and put it on the Dewalt. Not that arbor mounted lasers are of any use since they have no adjustment. Good call one the Dewalt though. I was actually going to recommend it as and option given that it gets very positive reviews. Blade deflection is a pretty big part of the innacuracy on these non-slider type saws so make sure to get a good thick blade for it.

Comment

i have the hitachi c12fdh and i like it so far though i haven't really put it though it's paces yet, i like it mostly due to the fact it is a dual bevel so i now have to think less.
                    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Working...
                    X