X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood pick up bed?

well as some can tell i have a 51 chevy pick up and the bed is wood. welll..... was. i plan on restoring it some what with a few custom touches, and i would like to match the wood in the bed with wood that i will be putting in the cab (center console, door panles and trim) so what wood can be used o have thought of teak frist but not sure it would last the cedar still not sure it would last.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Re: wood pick up bed?

I've never restored anything like your project but I would think a hard wood to be prefered over a soft wood. Cedar is good looking wood but quite soft although weather resistant. I made a cutting board with African Mahogany and it came out nice. It's fairly easy to work with, closed grain and cheaper than cherry. The color, of mine, is a medium brown. Just a thought...
    If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

There is a a beautiful wood I've used for decks before called "iron wood" or pau lopa (sp?) It is a really dark, hard and heavy wood that is very good for outdoor applications. I love that stuff--and it renewable and doesn't contribute to rain forest depletion.
      A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I do agree with woodenstickers, very durable wood, rot resistance and its been awhile since i have used it, so i'm sure the price will be high, but it should be well worth it for your project. I'll bet it will look great in and on your truck, good luck...
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

OSC, depending on the color scheme of the truck I would use red oak if light wood is needed and walnut if you want dark. Any kind of stain to change the color would fade in sunlight. Seal any wood you use on all sides with several coats of Spar varnish to prevent fading by the sun and absorbtion of moisture that would cause any rot. After drilling mounting hole in the bed boards, seal the inside of the holes also. Use stainless steel hardware for mounting in the bed. Stainless will not rust and can be polished to look as good as chrome. One extra step I did for my swing was to soak down the boards with Thompsons water seal with UV protectors and let dry before applying the spar varnish. Time will tell if it helped any or not. You do understand that pictures of this project are mandatory don't you. Dan
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Teak would be a good choice, but pricey.

Live Oak would also work well I think. You have plenty of that down your way right?
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

the truck will be red with black fenders. seats will (i have them now) be from a 03 caddy sts with heat and lumber center console i will be making dash will be stock and all metal peices would be painted grey to match the seats and headliner that i will have made. so i have thught that the lighter color woods would look alot nicer i have not desided what i will be using as power yet but since this will be a driver and not a show truck i am leaning towards a 350 but i like to be different so i might rebuild the 292 6banger that is in it now but go to an over drive trans and yes i will post pick when i can but i have not even torn down the truck yet i am just running ideas at this time. but have done a truck before i will probaly take me 3-4 years to complete this one as well
              Last edited by oldslowchevy; 02-02-2007, 12:07 PM.
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

If your wanting a driver, see if you can pick up a 283 or 305 to put in it. The Chevy 350, without prof. rebuild, is their weakest engine of all time. Stick with an older engine, pre 72, to avoid all the hassles of air polution equipment that they try to make you use. I agree with the light wood choice for the color scheme you have planned.
                info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

"...The Chevy 350, without prof. rebuild, is their weakest engine of all time...."

I don't know Dan, my '96 Impala SS ran pretty strong but I was not racing it. Never had a lick of trouble in the 4 years I owned it and I drove it daily plus did a 300 mile trek each way once a week for about 18M. That LT1 motor ran just fine w/o any mods, never once in the shop for a motor or tranny problem.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, Chevy used white oak for the bed boards in the trucks. The boards are typically held down with retainer strips so there's no need to drill them. Now white oak in the drivers compartment? Stuff splinters pretty well when broken, not sure I'd want to sit inside the truck during a crash with a wood pincushion.
                    Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

Originally posted by Roadrunner View Post
                      Now white oak in the drivers compartment? Stuff splinters pretty well when broken, not sure I'd want to sit inside the truck during a crash with a wood pincushion.
                      Have to be a pretty big crash to splinter the console in a '51 Chevy. The fenders are thicker steel than the box frames of most of the new cars are made of!!

Go
                      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Boy, I envy you. I had a '50 five window a long time ago. If you put headers on that 6 cyl. you will be surprised with the boost it gives, dual carbs. are a nice addition also. As for the 350 engines, I have had no problem with them and have owned several. The 283 is the only one I set up hot though.
                        The white oak with chromed hold down rails make a nice looking bed.

Comment

As Roadrunner mentioned, White Oak is 'the' choice material for truck beds and trailers. Off the ground it won't rot, and is stable. If you want a non-WO color, stain it, but true Rednecks might spit on it! ;-D
                          ken
                          Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
                            Have to be a pretty big crash to splinter the console in a '51 Chevy. The fenders are thicker steel than the box frames of most of the new cars are made of!!

Go
                            Good point, for some reason I thought he was also going to trim out the door panels. Console should be fine, just make sure that is is attached to the floor pan well.
                            Another point however is that today's steels are much stonger per unit weight than the steels of the 40's. That said, you still cannot hammer and dolly todays sheet metal the way you could the heavier stuff. From what I understand, heat shrinking of todays sheet metal is totally out of the question.
                            Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

i do plan on using some wood on the door panles like an arm rest and a map pocket at the bottom of the door, as well as the step in the cab will be trimed
                              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Working...
                              X