Going to make a corded Batt.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to make a corded Batt.

What do you all think about going to HD and hitting the Recycle battery bin and getting a 24v battery taking it apart putting an 24v 3.0Ah AC to DC transformer in it and then drilling a hole in the bottom back end for a eletrical cord then putting it back together so that when needed you can install it in drill, sawsall, circular saw or what ever when you need constant power when eletrical outlets are avalible ?
    American by birth. Canadian at heart.

Re: Going to make a corded Batt.

That's not a bad idea. DeWalt used to make that adapter for their 24v tools. there were only 4 or 5 of them and they were heavy so they never caught on. the adapter would be great for the 18v systems too b/c you will only need the cordless version with an adapter, rather than the corded and cordless versions.

Comment

The xfrmr will not fit inside the battery cell case, at least one big enough to power the tool under load. You would need to have it external to the battery case, with a coil cord running to the tool maybe.

But then, you might as well have a corded tool from the get go.

If you are looking at this as something to get you through finishing up a job after your battery dies I think it would be easier to just buy another spare battery and be done with it. You get to retain the cordless advantages and don't have to drag additional crap around with you as your backup solution.

I suspect that is why none of the cordless manufacturers offer such an accessory, and those that dipped their toe in the water and tried it gave up pretty quick.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

I think Hitachi once had one of those too. If memory serves me right, it came with their 18V combo pack of pro cordless tools (not the low end one). I thought it was a great idea, and up to now had totally forgotten about it. I think a reviewer stated that it was good in a pinch, when all your batteries were depleted, but couldn't really replace a true corded tool.

Comment

Originally posted by mcarr184 View Post
          ...and getting a 24v battery taking it apart putting an 24v 3.0Ah AC to DC transformer ...
          there is no such thing - transformers are not rated in ampere-hours. The only way you can get the required current output is with a switching power supply which will not fit in the battery pack...

Comment

This is all going to reguire some serious engineering work and big $$$ to produce. You really would be much better off with an extra battery pack or two, or go with corded tools when you need them to run long and hard. One rather wild idea might be to rig up a 24 Volt sealed lead-acid (gel cell) battery in a back pack and use a short cord from the tool to it, but again the $$$ will blow you away to properly make up such. Going the 1/2 @$$ way won't ever work out well enough to offset the cost of a few extra battery packs or just getting a few good corded tools.

Comment

Working...
            X