Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: drum sanders, need one

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
    I don't think you will be dissappointed. Give them a call too and talk about pricing. I was able to get the mobil base and roller feed tables as a freebie. They also sometimes have some for sale that are scratch and dent or returns that they discount well. Also, unless you are close to them, ck on your own shipping. I saved a bunch going with Roadway myself. Worked out fine.

Mark
    Wood Meister, I see thats its on sale for $2200.00, thats not a bad price for a machine that size, but it looks like they are about 1500 miles away, so I will be calling them. Must see what the wife will say about this one, considering I told her I shouldn't be spending more then $1200.00 - $1300.00. The shipping and other items if I can get them also will be the deal or no deal. The specks look decent, and I'm dying to get another one, withdrawls you know...lol...
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

They have been $2,199 for a while now. I think that's what I paid for mine a year ago. After I bought mine, I got one or two flyers with some smoking deals on repo's and new returns. Wish I had known that first off! Give them a call and see if they have any.

On the shipping, just tell them you would like to arrange for pickup only. They worked with me and faxed me the necessary info for Roadway to pick it up.

On a side note, the sanders are actually built in a huge cave! Really, it's an underground mine that has been turned into a huge industrial area. I'll try to find it and post a link. Quite impressive place.

Here is the link to the place. It's called "Subtropolis", owned by Hunt Industries. Ck out the whole page and don't miss the "virtual tour" link on the page. Awesome place. Even has a stadium built on one corner of the mine!

http://www.huntmidwest.com/subtropolis/index.html

Here is a link on the actual setup of the whole place.

http://www.huntmidwest.com/pdfs/subtropolis_facts.pdf

Mark
      Last edited by The Wood Meister; 02-21-2007, 05:39 PM.
      Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Well everyone I got some very bad news this week, the money I have for my sander is no longer mine. Its going to the plumber, my furnace went bad on me, I was told that it has a crack in the heat exchanger and now I must replace it. I tried to tell the wife we can run space heaters for the next 2 months, but that didn't go to well, lol. Bummer, now I have to start saving money all over again, knew I should have bought my sander 2 weeks ago, procrastinated till I knew which one I really wanted. At least my kids will stay warm and that is what its all about, can't even through a temper tantrum, lol.

Wow is that place HUGE, thanks for everything Wood Meister, I will be buying the Woodmaster, probably not untill the end of summer but it will happen. And when I do maybe you can give me some installation pointers and tricks, since you own one.. I'll send you some beer for helping, if thats legal...lol...
        Last edited by garager; 02-22-2007, 06:20 PM.
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Wow, bummer about the heater, but it really needs to come first! LOL

When you get yours, let me know. It's sets up fast, actually, getting it off the crate was the hardest part!

I don't know if they still include a reversing switch, but it's a great option. It reverses the conveyer belt. They showed mounting it way down on the front of the sander but that was a horroble place. I mounted mine up on top next to the height crank. They suggest running the board through, then reverse it back through, then forward again. It works good but I still just do one pass on each side.

I also bought an hour meter off ebay for real cheap and wired it to the motor just to see how much time I have on it. I think since I got it, i've put 11 hours on it! LOL Not that I don't use it much, it's just that it's fast and doesn't take long to sand a pile of doors.

Mark

Oh yea, just might find a good one used between now and the time you get the money together. From what I can tell, killing a Woodmaster would be really tough! It's built like a tank.
          Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Wood Meister, do you also set yours up as a molder and planer, or rip saw? The versatile of this machine is incredible, I will be doing the molding as well as sander. I will not get into a business with this, but I can certainly save money making trim for the job sites. I should have looked into this one earlier, ya my furnace going out is a major bummer. Hopefully I'll have one installed this week coming up. I will keep you posted on the Woodmaster later on the year.

Comment

Mine is a drumsander only. If you are wanting the one that does the gang ripping and molding, thats gonna cost ya more $$$$$$. It's a different model.

Comment

The feds came through so I got the Performax 16-32. Woodcraft has it for 10% off, so I was able to get it for what I would have paid at an online place, plus save the shipping by going there to get it (they're not too far away).

It's a great piece of equipment. One warning if you get the + version that comes with the stand. There are absolutely NO instructions on putting the stand together!! One tip...put the lower shelf in FIRST before doing the upper supports/stretchers. The 4 big holes at the top of the stand have to be in perfect alignment. Doing the shelf first will help with that. I did mine the hard way....and scratched up the insides of the legs in the process!!!

Other than that, assembly was fairly straightforward. Aligning the drum is well-documented and easily performed. Get the wheel-set for it, too. Or, get some locking wheels for the stand at least. It's a HEAVY beasty!! Kinda peeved me that I got everything set, managed to muscle the sander up there...only to find out I had to take it off and redo the stand!!! Keep a sanding eraser on hand, too. Your paper will go a lot longer.

Hopefully I'll have some shop pics soon. I got my camera working again, and now I just have to vacuum the shop!!!
                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Congrats on the new sander Sandy. Looking forward to some pics when you get the time. I'm sure you will enjoy playing with/using it!
                  Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Way to go Sandy, one more thing, don't run pine through there its miserable on the paper, all that sap, pitch. Keep us posted on the pro's and con's if you will. I'm jealous I was hoping to have mine by now, but other expenses nailed me so I have to be patient again, I know whats its like to have one, and once you do you always have one. Good luck w/your sander...

Comment

Congrats on the sander!!! Just checked eBay and there are 3 Woodmasters on now. 2 are the combo planer sander molder and one is a whopping 52" monster! Wish that one was closer! LOL

Mark

Comment

I've run a good number of board feet through the Performax now. Just got the infeed/outfeed tables a day ago, however. I'm really amazed at how nice this tool is to work with. Variable feed rate works perfectly. It's not really difficult to put the sanding belt on. Takes a bit of work to get the inside end in (you wrap from the outboard end into the inboard end), but it's definately not what I'd call "Fiddly". Aligning the drum to the feed belt is simple, and straight-forward.

I noticed after I put the in/out-feed tables on that longer boards were suddenly having trouble...go figure...I had to re-level them a couple times to get things just right. In Performax's defense, they did say to keep the tables below the height of the feed belt. I just chose to ignore that advice because I'm hard-headed!!

I've run maple, walnut, and some 2x4 crudtastic pine (it was well-dried though). The sander does everything perfectly!! It comes with a variety box of paper. All I've used so far, however, is the lowest grit. I'm using it as a planer for the most part. I did some 1" wide resawn strips of black walnut down to just under 1/16" thick and it performed absolutely perfectly. Now I can make my own edge banding!!

I've learned you really want to be patient with the tool. Take off very small amounts, and let it feed slowly. I generally start with the setting at around 35. After a pass or two, I can sometimes increase the feed rate. You just have to listen and you'll know if you can increase it or not. One turn of the depth knob is 1/64". I'll turn about 1/4 turn between passes. Depending on the material, of course. With the pine, it can take more, up to a full turn. With maple, 1/4 turn is the max you want to try. Since the warnings about pitch buildup from pine, I've inspected the paper carefully whenever I run it, but haven't noticed any problems. I have a sanding eraser dedicated to the sander, and that seems to keep the paper fine. I have yet to have to replace the original paper that came on the drum. It's still in great shape.

I've learned that running a piece at an angle seems to increase how much I can take off per pass, hence speeding the process a bit. Obviously, your piece can't be real wide or long to do this. Run at an angle one way, then reverse the angle the next pass, then do the same thing on the other side. It's a quick way to end up with a nice, flat surface on both sides. You definately want to keep turning the piece. Feed one end first, then the other. It helps with keeping the sanding grooves down to make final sanding easier.

If you're resawing, a sander like this is almost required. I can get the saw marks out and finalise the thickness without fussing too much. I find myself now running just about every piece through the Performax at least once per side to insure it's good and flat. It's so much quieter than the planer. The majority of the noise is from the dust collector.

A dust collector is a MUST have with a drum sander. You really need something with a 1-micron filter, too. The Performax has a built-in 4" DC connection on it, and it really does well. I haven't tried using a step-down and attaching the Ridgid shop-vac, but I'm sure it'd work just as well with the proper filter attached.
                        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Congrats Sandy. When you're ready for additional paper, check Klingspor's. Their prices are the best I've found, and it's the same paper that came with my 10-20.
                          Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

I bought a 16-32 sander last spring and I don't know how I got along without one for so many years. A friend of mine works at a woodworking place and he told me that you can take the sanding strips off and soak them in a simplegreen and water mix to take the burn't areas off them then hang them up to dry. I haven't tried this yet as I keep a sanding cleaner strick handy.

Comment

Woodmeister, I wanted to know your thoughts on your Woodmaster sander now that you've had it for a while. I am looking into one right now and would love to hear some first hand experience.

Comment

Working...
                              X