drum sanders, need one

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drum sanders, need one

So far I have mentioned in 3 or 4 threads about drum sanders or table sanders, is there no one here that uses a drum sander. I couldn't live without one, mine went to the great tool box in the sky,(old, and used a lot) so I need another. Did own the Jet brand, but I,m curious to know if anybody has an opinion on this machine, don't matter what brand. I'll have to give up here I guess if I don't get a response.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: drum sanders, need one

Garager, like I said before, I haven't yet used one. I have found that it's going to be a critical part of my shop before too long. To finish plane a truly thin piece, or after resawing veneer, or a myriad of other uses, I need one. I've been looking at Jet or Performax. I'm also trying to keep the cost under $1k. The Performax looks to be the best from what I'm seeing. In order to get any real width, I'm thinking it has to be an "open-ended" one that will allow you to flip the piece and sand really wide panels in 2 runs. It's a hard decision to make. If I can get our tax return soon, I'll let ya know which one I decide on!!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks for responding, I've been checking them both out too, Just hoping to hear from someone who actually has one and to hear how they like theirs. If I get one before you I'll let you know how I like it. Thanks Again
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

i hear ya man i am starting to look at this type of sander
        Last edited by oldslowchevy; 02-02-2007, 11:43 AM.
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I have that one OSC and it is very nice for its purposes. I just bought a Ridgid oscillating belt / spindle sander and it is an awsome tool. One of these days, (maybe tax time) I want to get a performax 16/32 drum sander. Have checked them out a lot and have settled on that one. They also have a 10/20 which is too small for my needs and the 22/44 that is bigger than I need.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
            I have that one OSC and it is very nice for its purposes. I just bought a Ridgid oscillating belt / spindle sander and it is an awsome tool. One of these days, (maybe tax time) I want to get a performax 16/32 drum sander. Have checked them out a lot and have settled on that one. They also have a 10/20 which is too small for my needs and the 22/44 that is bigger than I need.
            That's the same one I've been eyeing. Got the ok for the purchase from the hubby, so as soon as taxes come in.... let's hope the IRS is quick!!!

Comment

Are you talking about a drum sander or the sander that is pictured below your first post?

I have a 26" Woodmaster drum sander and love it.

Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

yes, now thats what I was referring about, I'm trying to keep the cost down some. I know it will be tough to find one for $1000.00 or less (new). I didn't get much time on the net to find the price on your 26" woodmaster so I'm guessing around $2600.00, am I close? I did find thats it's ranked well. I was hoping to have a new or used one by now, but I have been to busy to find one. You mentioned you love yours, so may I ask why? Thanks for replying...

I should add that a wide belt sander is so much nicer then a drum sander, but I don't think I can afford the wide belt sander at this moment. My intension is running 20"-24" panels through the machine, my buddy has a cabinet making shop and he does have the w.b. sander, super sweet and super expensive.
                Last edited by garager; 02-11-2007, 08:53 AM.

Comment

I had a long winded reply typed out then hit a wrong button and wiped it out!

Short story, I have the Performax 10-20 and use it lots more than I thought I would.

Get yourself another DS, you know you deserve it! ;-D
                  Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Originally posted by KenM View Post
                    I had a long winded reply typed out then hit a wrong button and wiped it out!

KenM............. Don't ya just wanna beat the **** out of somethin when that happens ? Been there, done that a bunch of times. Then, maybe spend another 5 or 10 minutes trying to figure out a way of finding it again ?
                    Anything worth doing, is worth doing right the first time

Comment

Jet owns Performax? Are they phasing out that line? I was just on their website and all they show under Performax is accessories. Maybe that's normal for them. I really like the Performax sanders. Does anyone know what's up with them?

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                        You mentioned you love yours, so may I ask why? Thanks for replying...

I make a lot of raised panel doors and my poor ol elbow is slowly dying from tendonitis.

I did a lot of research on the different ones and settled on the Woodmaster based on a comparison test done by one of the wood magazines. There are some cheaper, but I really wanted to get the Woodmaster. It works great and I talked them into two freebies too! Mobile base (a MUST have for a small shop, and extension roller infeed and outfeed tables.)

They occasionally sell "returns" for a good deal. They sometimes sell on Ebay too. When I priced mine, the shipping they quoted was a deal breaker. I then asked if anyone could pick it up and they said fine. I called Roadway and beat their price by about half!!! All I had to do was pick it up locally at the RW terminal. Ended up spending 30 bucks on a U-haul trailer to get it home. Darn thing weighs in at about 800 pounds! It's built like a tank and will outlast me. Only thing I regret was not getting the 36" version!

There is, as with any tool, a learning curve involved. I tore up some paper the first few days trying to hog off too much in one pass. Now I use 100 for the first pass and 150 for the last. When the doors are all put together, the 150 leaves very minimal cross sanding marks on the rails, but they sand out quick when I do my final sanding with my orbital. All in all, like most big expenditures, I wish i'd done it sooner!!!!

Mark
                        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Good question, Sandy.
                          WMH owns Jet, Performax, Wilton and Performax.

Last time I was there Performax was under Brands, now it's not????
                          Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Well, I guess I'm going to take a real good look at the Woodmaster drum sander, just sent for the DVD, sounds to me like this could be my new drum sander thanks wood meister, I'll let you all know when I get it. Hopefully I'll be purchasing pretty soon. Thanks for the info....

Comment

I don't think you will be dissappointed. Give them a call too and talk about pricing. I was able to get the mobil base and roller feed tables as a freebie. They also sometimes have some for sale that are scratch and dent or returns that they discount well. Also, unless you are close to them, ck on your own shipping. I saved a bunch going with Roadway myself. Worked out fine.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X