X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact Driver ???

So why did the 14.4 Impact Driver drop in price at hd? to $150 from 250?

any way I pick one up and it only came with 1 battery?
    I have the 14.4 drill and notice that the battery from it are bigger?
    are they just old stock?
    I did notice that it breaks a lot of bits or if its just me?
    so far its not too much diff from the bosch Impact Driver
    the handle does have a little more flex then i would like

what do u guys think of this Impact Driver ?
    ________
    Honda XL100
    Last edited by RODDY; 01-22-2011, 11:33 AM.

Re: Impact Driver ???

I don't own one (Ridgid brand) so I can't say about the power tool, but do you mean that you're breaking the "Power Bits" (see picture) or are you busting off screw heads with it?
    Attached Files

Comment

I bought a "combo" last year that consisted of the 14.4 Impact Driver and the 3/8-inch VS Drill/Driver. These were my first "cordless" tools and I've used them a heck of lot since than on an old house remodel, deck, flooring, etc., etc. The drill/driver gets the most use from me, but I'm impressed with both tools.

I don't ever recall seeing the price of the 14.4 Impact Driver being over $200. I believe when it was originally announced in the HD catalog it sold for $189. Certainly that is the price I've seen posted of the last year and a half. The $150 price may be just a recent or even temporary price. I do notice that tool prices do fluctuate in HD, especially this time of year.

My particular Impact Driver is an excellant tool. Assembly is tight and I love it's torque power. It has so much power that you really have to be careful with it's application. My first use was in the assembly of a steel shelf unit. Bad application, as it tightened the Phillips head bolts so tight that I couldn't loosen them, when I realized I bolted one brace in the wrong place. There was no way I could hold a Phillips head secure enough to back the nut off. It was like "welded" in place. I ended up cutting the bolt off.

In the fall, I replaced a couple of worn railings on the back deck. I popped a magnetic extension in the Impact Driver, because the only hex socket I had wouldn't reach into the hole far enough. The torque was so powerful that it ripped the shaft right out of the magnetic holder. I bought a proper Hex Socket and the Impact Driver drove the 3/8 bolts without no problem at all.

Great tool, lots of torque, and even with the smaller pack there's good life
      to the battery,

CWS

Comment

woussko
        yup the bit in your picture ... i broke 3 of them to day

IM a millworker (install all kinds of cabinets,doors,counter tops,base,ect)
        I have a bosch Impact Driver and broke a few bits with it
        but not as many with ridgid....
        I had a bosch drill that the chuck broke a month after warranty run out
        so I pick up the heavy duty ridgid 14.4 drill. it seems very heavy and a ton torque (thats ok with me) so I wanted to pick up a Impact Driver that i can share my battery with
        I notice that my drill batterys say 2.5 ah and the Impact Driver dont say any thing on them(when i try to fit the Impact Driver into the case with the drill battery,it doesnt fit grrrr)
        ________
        starcraft 2 replays
        Last edited by RODDY; 01-22-2011, 11:33 AM.

Comment

They're a little on the pricey side but Apex Impact Driver Bits from McFeelys are made for use with impact drivers. Here's a link to the #2 x 2" long square drive but the have other styles available.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

BadgerDave's recommendation of Apex is a very good one. Another brand that I like for fastener tools is WIHA made over in Germany. You can purchase directly from their USA branch (web site) or you might find a local dealer in your area. For more info check this link.

APEX - http://www.cooperpowertools.com/bran...ning/index.cfm
            WIHA - http://www.wihatools.com/
            Last edited by Woussko; 02-09-2007, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X