X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R855 24V saw with an 18V battery

Hi guys, I wanted to post up asking why Ridgid would say that the 24V R855 recommends only using a 24V battery. It works with an 18V and the only difference should be torque. I am assuming the amperage is going to be lower on the motor coil because hey its ohms law (with the inductance resistance as a function of torque required.) I design motor control systems for a living and the biggest difference when you run a motor under voltage is the resulting torque curve. Heck we actually run stepper motors overvoltage all the time to get more torque out of them, but we reduce the duty cycle to prevent damage. Ridgid customer service and the manual claim 24V only, but I know better.

Can any ridgid rep comment on this? I have been told by a local Home depot rep that this is not the case. Who can clarify and justify their findings?
    One other thing is that I have personally run these tools at 18V with no thermal issues, but I have not actually cut with them
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Last edited by enginerd; 02-09-2007, 01:45 PM.

Re: R855 24V saw with an 18V battery

Is the 855 the circular or reciprocating saw? My guess is that if its the circular saw the recommendation is based solely on its work performance. If you've ever used an 18v circular saw you've probably noticed they are terribly underpowered and inadequate for a lot of work. One needs a lot of finesse to keep it from binding. Recommending 24v only, assures the tool will perform far more satisfactorily.

Comment

Re: R855 24V saw with an 18V battery

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
      Is the 855 the circular or reciprocating saw? My guess is that if its the circular saw the recommendation is based solely on its work performance. If you've ever used an 18v circular saw you've probably noticed they are terribly underpowered and inadequate for a lot of work. One needs a lot of finesse to keep it from binding. Recommending 24v only, assures the tool will perform far more satisfactorily.
      I agree, I have used several 18V saws and typically the battery life and torque is poor on all of these devices, but I have no experience with the ridgid model 855. My only confusion is why have the max select tools which claim the same functionality? You obviously do not have differnent motors in the MAX select that will cross over if the battery voltage is different, so how could they make the switch?

My initial reaction is that it boils down to marketing. They have written the manuals and targeted their 24V marketing at the prospect of selling $130 LI batteries. They have max select tools now that essentially replace the 18V counterparts so they can reduce stock on 18V items. Why make the batteries with the same mold?

Mike
      Last edited by enginerd; 02-09-2007, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X