which benchtop table saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: which benchtop table saw

I have a portable ryobi bts20r , great saw for cutting 2/4 or plywood sheets .you can rip 27" right of the saw blade . weigh's 100pounds which makes it realy nice for moving around the shop or on the job site .

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      CheekyMonkeyWrench,
      Why do you prefer these two over the previous ones mentioned.
      the ridgid fence is tops imo, accurate, smooth and a cinch to use. the table top is nice and the expansion is great. onboard storage is adequate, the soft start motor is awesome. the portable stand is unmatched, including the bosch. t-slot miter guage. most of all, i registered it for the lifetime service agreement. it's nice knowing if i have any problems (under normal use) ridgid will repair it for free for life (non-transerable).

do a search for the ts2400 here and see all of the lauded reviews.....dozens.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
        I really wish I could find a good condition antique Delta "Mini Bench Top" table saw like they made many years ago. That thing was BUILT. It wasn't fancy but it would run for many years and with a well machined cast iron table and simple trunion worked well. The new job site saws will handle more, but they just aint made like that one was. They come in 8" and 10" blade sizes and were belt driven. The motor could be behind or below depending on how you set it up. Keep in mind that they were made before most of us were born. OLD OLD OLD but good. You did need to take your time setting the fence, but once locked down at both ends it stayed put. Remember this was long before today's fancy T-square style came along.
        If my memory serves me, my son has what you are talking about. He might want to part with it. If you like, i'll ask him and have him send along a picture. Drop me a line in a few days if you don't see me post it.

Mark
        info@wonders-in-wood.us
        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Still soaking it all in,I'm sure I will end up with the best saw for what I intend to use it for.Looking at Cheeky's saw now.Never have owned one before.Used them plenty of times,a couple of times to cut 3/16 aluminum(scary).In rough framing there are a lot of situations were I could see it being nice to be able cut 3 1/2 in one pass.From the saws that I've been looking at it does'nt seem to be an issue that the manufacturerers other than Makita need to address.Any reason why.

Many thanks.

Comment

Hey drty,

wondering if you ever got your saw and if so what you decided on. I just ordered this one
            http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...640485-9044612

It should come next week. It will replace my delta shopmaster that I got for $100 and used the crap out of but was really junk to begin with.

I am excited because this one is smaller than a lot of the other bench top models but will rip 24 1/2 inches! It also has an out-feed support and is belt driven. According to the reviews the fence is pretty weak, but that is the nature of the beast when you need a table saw that fits behind the seat in your pick-up.

After this I am out of the tool market for a good long while or my girl will flip.

(I've said this before)
            Last edited by woodenstickers; 05-17-2007, 07:59 AM.
            A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I haven't seen the JET in person, but have read lots good reviews about it. You would think that the belt drive alone makes it worthwhile. The Dewalt DW745 looks good if you want a real portable saw.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                It's much nicer to have the printed one to look at.

I agree. .pdf's don't work near as slick in the loo!
                Phil
                Tools Rule

Comment

Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post
                  Hey drty,

wondering if you ever got your saw and if so what you decided on. I just ordered this one
                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...640485-9044612

It should come next week. It will replace my delta shopmaster that I got for $100 and used the crap out of but was really junk to begin with.

I am excited because this one is smaller than a lot of the other bench top models but will rip 24 1/2 inches! It also has an out-feed support and is belt driven. According to the reviews the fence is pretty weak, but that is the nature of the beast when you need a table saw that fits behind the seat in your pick-up.

After this I am out of the tool market for a good long while or my girl will flip.

(I've said this before)
                  Woodenstickers,
                  Hey, thanks for asking.Naw,when I was inquiring a while ago I wasn't working and I was starting to get into miscellaneous remodel work that would justify getting a saw.
                  Since then I've gotten my butt back into plumbing where it belongs
                  I will own a portable saw soon(g-friends brother's remodel starts),so I will be continuing to listen to the woodworkers
                  researching your Jet now,thank-you
                  I would like to hear about your new saw.
                  Adam

Comment

Update

I got to see the table saw by Metabo in person. What a joke That is sure not the Metabo kind of product I'm used to seeing. I do like their corded drills and angle grinders.

Comment

Anyone seen this new Bosch 4100DG with the european style guard? It has several new features like a digital rip fence. Should be pretty nice.

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...rd+System.aspx

Comment

Working...
                      X