X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which benchtop table saw

I've got some spare time and I have been looking into the saws, now its down to the dewalt with the better rip fence or the makita with more blade
    heighth to rip 2x4.

Will I really be dissapointed with the makita's fence.

I do see myself making my own cabinet boxes and drawers.

Re: which benchtop table saw

I have not tried either of the those two saws but I did recently purchase a 10" Hitachi job site table saw. The saw is great the customer service at Hitachi is horrible enough that I am swearing off Hitachi. As a matter of fact when I told the Hitachi CSR that she said "that's fine". That comment made me decide Hitachi must have more customers than they need so now they have one less.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have used both and work with people who own both (one or the other). The dewalt fence is fantastic. Every time I use it I am impressed with it. The makita fence is as garbage as my $99 delta job (I got it because it is so tiny and fits in my truck). Everybody I know who has the dewalt won't shut up about how great it is, everybody who has the makita says "it's fine" as the best review to "I hate it" . All that said, I got to use the ridgid saw a few times last month and it was pretty nice, though way too big for me. I say get the dewalt.
      A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

If you can find one at a dealer in your are (They are kind of hard to find) take a look at the METABO TS250. I think you'll like this one. Below is a link to a PDF file for their line of bench top tools. Their miter saws are interesting too. I don't have one of their dealers in my are that's into woodworking. The dealers near me only sell their drills and angle grinders for now. I'm hoping to find one that's either full line or into woodworking in general. The Dewalt is what many contractors in my area have and they like them very much. Now if you've used a full size table saw with cast iron table, then the jobsite saws may not make you too happy.

http://www.metabousa.com/uploads/med...95BenchTop.pdf

Comment

Thanks Woussko,looks like some pretty well built tools as far as there angle grinders and drills.Still reaserching there saws.

Comment

If you like give them a call and ask them to mail you their full line USA catalog. Metabo is German based.

Metabo Corporation
            P.O. Box 2287
            1231 Wilson Drive
            West Chester, PA 19380
            Phone: 800-638-2264 or 610-436-5900
            Fax: 800-638-2261 or 610-436-9072
            Web Site for USA: http://www.metabousa.com

They have some interesting items. Their online .PDF catalog is a bit of a mess to use. It's much nicer to have the printed one to look at.

Comment

Thanks but I'm not sure how to ask the right questions about their saw without getting trapped in a sales pitch.

Adam

Comment

Just call for the catalog. It's the USA branch of the factory and they can't sell things. Sales must go through a dealer. They do have reps as well. When you call you'll get customer service. Just request the catalog. It should have info about it. I'm looking to find a dealer that actually has one setup. So far, no luck, but you're in another area.

Comment

just from what i can see in the photo witch doesn't mean a damm thing but the fence looks to be the same type as on the delta and the maktia but you also need to keep in mind that "looks" and "are" are not the always the same that is my nickle ................ but i want three cents back
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                    just from what i can see in the photo witch doesn't mean a damm thing but the fence looks to be the same type as on the delta and the maktia but you also need to keep in mind that "looks" and "are" are not the always the same that is my nickle ................ but i want three cents back
                    the fence on the Metabo is terrible. i was seriously considering the Metabo solely because i was under the impression it was made in Germany (before I realized Asia can produce quality tools), they're not, they are Taiwanese (not a big deal to me, most of metabo's grinders, jigsaws, drills are still made in germany but not these).

i went to 2 dealers and on both ts's the fence felt like a bad sliding screen door.

i think you're doing yourself an injustice if you don't look at the 2 best:
                    Ridgid TS2400 and the Bosch 4000-09. the metabo is more, and it comes with significantly less (crappy stand, lousy fence, etc).

Comment

So far this motabo company appears to be another germany based company.Their prices seam to suggest some pretty well made tools.Still researching.I don't think my needs would justify puchasing a saw made this company.Leaning ever so slightly dewalt.

Comment

The Dewalt DW744S is what a big remodeling contractor in my area uses and they really like them. Be careful not to get a DW745 as they are not the same and lack some nice features. The DW745 only rips to 16" (right side) while the DW744S can do just over 24" to the right of the blade. It comes with a fold-up stand too. Do look at the Ridgid even though they are heavy to move around. I would tend to say that the Bosch and Metabo would get pricy. I've seen the Bosch and it has too many plastic parts that should be steel. It's fancy-sexy but I question how well it holds up (Might be just fine and it does have a great motor and gearing). I have yet to see a Metabo in person. I've heard the Porter-Cable was pretty good if you can find one. I tried but never did see the P-C in person. Good luck hunting and please do take your time.

I would pass on the Metabo. I agree that the fench looks like a kiddy toy. Again, until I see one in person, it's too hard to tell. I'm sure they do want too much $$$ for it too. I posted the info in case anyone wanted a look.

I'm saving up my $$$ for a true cabinet table saw and nice T-square fence. More than likely I'll be in my final resting place before I buy one. I'm slower than slow getting things done anymore.
                        Last edited by Woussko; 02-17-2007, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Woussko's wikipedia
                          Man,your fast. I don't know what else to say

Comment

CheekyMonkeyWrench,
                            Why do you prefer these two over the previous ones mentioned.

Comment

Update on the Metabo job site table saw. It is made in ROC under contract. I forced a confession out of their sales rep for my area. Anyway, he is trying to locate a deal with one setup so I can go take a look. More than likely I'll pass. Having used both an older USA made Powermatic cabinet model and a Delta Unisaw, I'm spoiled totally. Now I just have to make room and get myself one of them. Then maybe not. Time will tell.

I really wish I could find a good condition antique Delta "Mini Bench Top" table saw like they made many years ago. That thing was BUILT. It wasn't fancy but it would run for many years and with a well machined cast iron table and simple trunion worked well. The new job site saws will handle more, but they just aint made like that one was. They come in 8" and 10" blade sizes and were belt driven. The motor could be behind or below depending on how you set it up. Keep in mind that they were made before most of us were born. OLD OLD OLD but good. You did need to take your time setting the fence, but once locked down at both ends it stayed put. Remember this was long before today's fancy T-square style came along.

Comment

Working...
                              X