X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help 18 or 24

I am in need of a new set of battery tools. I have been looking at the new Ridgid 4pc 24v set and also the 5pc set in 18v. What are your thoughts. I now own an old worn out dewalt 18v set that has got me threw a few years but is about finished.

Thanks
    Scott

Re: Need some help 18 or 24

seeing how you are "in the bissness" i would say go 24 for the reason that i don't see the 18 getting any newwer tools but the 24v will have new tools added though it's life time since it is still in it's frist year run
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Scott,

Regardless of the power level you choose (18 or 24 volt), I think Ridgid is a good brand to consider. They provide you with a 90-day satisfaction guarantee, so if you don't like them, it's no hassle to take them back for a refund. You can also purchase a "replacement plan" from Home Depot that will allow immediate replacement of the tool or battery. This is an extra cost "insurance plan" but if you're in the business it may be worthwhile.

But, even without the additional cost insurance plan, I strongly advice you to register your Ridgid tools, in order to take advantage of their "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement". This "Agreement" provides for the repair or replacement of just about everything (motors, brushes, bearings, switches, batteries, and chargers). You'll have to take or send them to a Ridgid authorized service center, to solve the problem, but it's better than trashing or forking out more money to keep them up and running.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

As far as Ridgid goes I now have corded saws and drills plus all my air nailers are Ridgid and I am happy with them, this is why I am interested in the battery tools by them. The big question is 18v or 24v. The one tool that is not avaible in the 24v is a impact driver and that is something I use a lot for installing tap-cons, but with the more power of the 24v drill this may not be a problem.

Comment

At the present time the 24V LI is the only way to go as the 18V is only available in Nicad. The 24V LI has much greater power and run time than the 18 Nicad. This is especially true for the recip and rotary saws which eat up batteries.
          Its important to note that one of the great features of Ridgid tools presently is the free Lifetime Service Agreement which includes replacement of the expensive 24V LI batteries when they die.
          The 24V drill is in fact a "Hammer Drill". I havn't used mine in that application yet so I don't know how good it is.

Comment

Well I think I am going to pickup the 24v set today at HD. I will post my thoughts after I use it for a few days. Thanks for everyones input.

Comment

please remember to cycle the batterys 5-10 times and i mean full cycles before you get the itch to write a review. this way you should be getting the max run time. and not to turn you off on the ridgid cordless but give the maktia kit an eye ball. i know it costs more but it comes with the impact(i have and love this tool) it is 18 volt but is very very light and well made.
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

KRS...Both 18 and 24 volt Ridgid combo kits reside at home. I am amazed at the torque of the hammer drill and the smoothness of the saw. One of my sons has the 24v XLi and its power is equally impressive but the run times are longer and the weight is much more manageable.
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                  please remember to cycle the batterys 5-10 times and i mean full cycles before you get the itch to write a review. this way you should be getting the max run time. and not to turn you off on the ridgid cordless but give the maktia kit an eye ball. i know it costs more but it comes with the impact(i have and love this tool) it is 18 volt but is very very light and well made.
                  I do not think I will ever own a maktia product after seeing all the headaches 2 of my crew members are having with there stuff. One of my crew has the new 18v and has killed 2 drills and one impact driver in less than 4 months. We do a lot of concrete drilling and using tapcons and this takes a toll on drills and drivers. In the last 2 years I have gone threw 2 hammer drills and my impact driver has just died and they where dewalts. I been looking at Ridgid because of the warrenty and I like the specs. I just hope they come out with a 24v impact driver soon. I will be putting my new 24v Ridgid set to work on monday.

Comment

I found this post from -Jchap1590

I emailed RIDGID recently and asked if the Max Dual Volt tool line was going to include an Impact driver, making it possible to have a 24V impact driver. They sent this reply:

"Due to the competitive nature of the power tool industry, we tend not to elaborate on possible future introductions. However, I can tell you that yes, a Ridgid Max-Select dual voltage (individual tool) impact driver, is possibly coming in late March to early April."

Thanks jchap1590
                    Last edited by onlycordless; 02-18-2007, 01:00 AM.
                    http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

I can't find any of the 24V XLi here. Home Depot doesn't know anything about them here and they are also no longer on there website. Any idea where I can find them, maybe on the internet.

Thanks

Comment

Be careful buying the 24v R932 combo. It has been discontinued.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10656

Comment

Well so far I am very happy with my investment in the 24v set. She is a work horse. This hammer drill runs circles around my old dewalt 18v. I will do some testing toward the end of the week once the batteries have been charged a few times.

Comment

Working...
                          X